LeBrun: Eric Staal wants to play this season for an American team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If you know anything about Eric Staal then it shouldn’t be surprising.

He doesn’t care about winning anymore. He wants to have a nice quiet comfortable family life and not be in a city where there’s media attention on him in anyway.

The thing is he probably still can still play… it’s just that if he’s not in his absolute comfort zone then he sulks and plays like a beer leaguer. So, theoretically if he signs somewhere this year then he should WANT to be there and maybe he will play well. I just don’t think there’s much of a fit for teams that want him and teams he wants to play for.

He hasn't cared about winning since his rookie year.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
He looked done this year but he also looked cooked with the Rangers in 2016 and then went on to score 28 and 42 goals the next 2 seasons.

Not saying he will get a contract anywhere but I find it hard to believe that Zac Rinaldo has a contract while Staal who wants to play, does not.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He looked done this year but he also looked cooked with the Rangers in 2016 and then went on to score 28 and 42 goals the next 2 seasons.

Not saying he will get a contract anywhere but I find it hard to believe that Zac Rinaldo has a contract while Staal who wants to play, does not.

Rinaldo has a two-way contract. I don't think Staal would settle for that.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If Dawson Mercer or Jesper Boqvist don't play well enough to earn the 3C spot in New Jersey, I would love for NJ to offer him a 1 year, 1.5 million contract.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Crazy that he cared about winning the one year his team won the cup and then never cared again after that. :rolleyes:

Well I would say there's been other years he gave a damn... Maybe up until 2012 or so but Eric has always been an interesting case.

He had by far and away had his best season as a sophmore in 2006 when he scored 45G, 100P, led the playoffs in scoring, won the cup and was a 2nd team AS. He signed a bridge deal for a good amount and then a bit fat contract with Carolina later on and maybe with the combination of the team not being very good and him always being a slow starter the situation eventually soured. Maybe it was around the time he took over the captaincy from Rod as he basically had to retire because of a shitty cheap shot to his knee and when he came back from injury he just couldn't skate anymore. Eric was just never captain material and by 2010 after winning olympic gold he had already accomplished everything a hockey player ever dreamed of as a kid.

So, yeah... at that point I don't think winning was his no. 1 priority and certainly he has made that decision clear over the last half of his career.

Reactions: Daeavorn

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

He should probably call Detroit or Columbus and see if they would take him on a 1 year deal. Easy enough to get to Minnesota to see family and both are teams that are in transition so maybe having a vet mixed into the forward group with a bunch of kids might be a good idea. Not saying Eric would be a great mentor or anything but he knows the deal I suppose. Maybe something good will rub off by mistake.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If Dawson Mercer or Jesper Boqvist don't play well enough to earn the 3C spot in New Jersey, I would love for NJ to offer him a 1 year, 1.5 million contract.
Same . Thats if he can be defensively responsible , win more draws than he loses , and not get scored on more than is line scores.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Eric Staal was terrific in Minnesota. No drama, and went out there and played with whoever they stuck him with. Outplayed his contract by a wide margin. No sign at all of ego or attitude that many are alluding to here.

He does have a style of play that doesn't look all that impressive. He's sort of like a giant Pominville, unremarkable during games, then you look at the scoresheet and he has a goal and/or an assist.

He's not terrible defensively, and he can win a FO, but he is best in a situation where he can add offense with his sneaky good shot and release. Not physical, but his size is so good that he can maintain a spot or win puck battles. At this stage, there should be at least one guy on his line who can motor, to make up for his lack of wheels.

Would be effective on a PP, still. Can man the slot, shoot, and still has a hockey IQ.

Last edited:

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
PTO and see how he does in camp. Change of scenery can greatly affect a players production. The fact he wants to play will give you a clear indication of what he’s got left. I can’t see playing in Buffalo right now and not have the morale sucked out of you.

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
He was awful for Montreal, he doesn't play at an NHL level anymore.

I think he was decent in his role during the playoffs, but it definitely felt like we squeezed what little juice was left out of him for that one last run because before that during his 21 game stretch he played for us during the regular season he looked completely done. I know there's often a lot of hyperbole around here but I'm serious when I say he was probably the worst player I've ever seen in a Habs uniform in my 20 years of following the team during that stretch. It was legitimately hilarious how bad he was. I'd have zero interest in bringing him back even if he wanted to come back here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you know anything about Eric Staal then it shouldn’t be surprising.

He doesn’t care about winning anymore. He wants to have a nice quiet comfortable family life and not be in a city where there’s media attention on him in anyway.

The thing is he probably still can still play… it’s just that if he’s not in his absolute comfort zone then he sulks and plays like a beer leaguer. So, theoretically if he signs somewhere this year then he should WANT to be there and maybe he will play well. I just don’t think there’s much of a fit for teams that want him and teams he wants to play for.

Yeah I could see this line of thinking. If he wants to win, I think Joe Thornton beat him to the punch in Florida. If he wants an NHL paycheque and some anonymity and low expectations I guess there are a few other options, Arizona, San Jose or Anaheim?

mort4345

Jun 22, 2017
If I'm i am running the Devils i give Staal a PTO and see what happens. If that moves Zacha to wing, all the better.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Staal looked beyond cooked to finish the regular season with the Habs but managed to keep up in the playoffs in a 4th line role. I'm not saying he couldn't find himself a spot for one more year but most likely I think he's getting a PTO and then quietly retire after it won't result into an NHL contract for him.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
So strangely specific to want to play for a US based team... you would have thought the Montreal experience would have been a positive Canadian experience going from the worst team in the league to a finals appearance...
He wants to be able to go to a strip club without being noticed.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He was awful for Montreal, he doesn't play at an NHL level anymore.

He was meh after the trade during the regular season but was FAR from awful in the playoffs on that line with Perry and Armia. Many games it was the teams best line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad