GWT: EPL - Matchweek 11

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know the EPL's rules, but I think that should be a red every time. You shouldn't have to break someone's leg to get a red for a wildly reckless challenge.
I am not aware of the rule either but yes the most reckless tackle even more so than Havertz against Newcastle.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The double punishment bit is part of the DOGSO rule which wasn't applicable here since Romero wasn't denying an goal scoring opportunity with the specific conduct that earned him the red.

The referee *could* have said that Romero's challenge was only worth a yellow if he felt like it, but if he believes it was a foul, regardless of any color card the challenge earns (if any), it has to be a pen.

Which makes no sense. You get a lesser punishment for denying a goal scoring opportunity. You can't blame Oliver as he has to call it by the book. It just seems like there should be room for grey areas.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't know the EPL's rules, but I think that should be a red every time. You shouldn't have to break someone's leg to get a red for a wildly reckless challenge.
PL has been much more lenient on those when contact is glancing. It's why I said he was about 2 inches from being sent off. Since if he caught any more of Sterling it wouldn't be a glancing blow.

• Wow
Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I am not aware of the rule either but yes the most reckless tackle even more so than Havertz against Newcastle.

Didn't see that one, so can't comment. But if they missed one earlier that doesn't mean they should continue missing that call just for the sake of consistency

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Which makes no sense. You get a lesser punishment for denying a goal scoring opportunity. You can't blame Oliver as he has to call it by the book. It just seems like there should be room for grey areas.
Yes, you get a lesser punishment for a non-violent tackle that denies a goal scoring change than planting your studs in the middle of someone's shins. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
PL has been much more lenient on those when contact is glancing. It's why I said he was about 2 inches from being sent off. Since if he caught any more of Sterling it wouldn't be a glancing blow.

That sucks. Even as a fan of a physical / defensive team that fouls a lot and so likes a relaxed whistle, that's a call you can't be harsh enough on IMO.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Just depressing. Spurs were all over Chelsea until Udogie's challenge really. Just disappointingly poor discipline from the players. Have some composure please.

With the injuries/suspension my hopes for Champions League football next season has been massively slashed.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Just depressing. Spurs were all over Chelsea until Udogie's challenge really. Just disappointingly poor discipline from the players. Have some composure please.

With the injuries/suspension my hopes for Champions League football next season has been massively slashed.
oh relax, you're being really dramatic here.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Spurs would have to have a pretty bad collapse to not finish top 4 after their start to the season.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Potential VAR interventions in my view:

- Udogie yellow/red: With how the PL has called things, I don't think it rises to the level of clear and obvious error to call it a yellow given that Oliver had a very clear view of it and acted immediately.
- Romero first potential red: It's not a hard kick, but in the end it's a kick to the back of a players legs away from the ball. Seemed an obvious red to me.
- Offside on Chelsea disallowed goal: Since it was called offside for interfering with play live, VAR would have had to say it was a clear and obvious error to say he affected the keeper. They verified he was offside, and since the ball went through his legs (or barely around him I can't recall) it's never going to be clear and obvious that he didn't interfere with play/affect the keeper
- Romero red: Covered a lot. The PL has been pretty consistent on follow throughs like this so it was right to send the ref to the monitor.
- James potential red: lmao, what a waste of time. Never violent conduct in a million years.

I *think* that was all of them.

Reactions: GabeTravels

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yes, you get a lesser punishment for a non-violent tackle that denies a goal scoring change than planting your studs in the middle of someone's shins. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

This is the issue with VAR. Oliver was right there and didn't think the clearance was excessive enough in the moment. Then you slow everything down to look for the slightest infractions and you get these decisions.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Agree spurs discipline killed them. They were looking amazing. Some of those fluid counters reminded me of those Mourinho RM teams

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00