GWT: EPL - Matchweek 11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I get that one. If you're offsides and in the goalie's line of sight, you are impacting the play. The BuLi calls those too.
I agree with that being the rule and generally support those calls. But Jackson was about 15 yards in front of Vicario, that wasn't a screen and the bar for "impacting the play" gets lower and lower.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Why not an indirect free kick?
Because, by rule, physical fouls are direct free kicks. Whether it was an attempt at the ball or karate kicking someone 50 feet from the ball doesn't change the fact that a physical foul results in a direct free kick (and a direct free kick foul within the penalty area is a pen)

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
VAR sucks so much. I don't care about getting every call 100% right to the point where the entertainment product is this much worse. I miss the days when you could celebrate when your favorite team scored a goal, instead of having to wait 10 seconds minimum to make sure there's no VAR checks.
I'll continue to beat this drum. Keep VAR for when a ref calls an on-field pen, and for head injuries anytime a play is stopped because of one (obvious embellishments are punished).

Abolish it everywhere else.

Reactions: Evilo

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree with that being the rule and generally support those calls. But Jackson was about 15 yards in front of Vicario, that wasn't a screen and the bar for "impacting the play" gets lower and lower.

That certainly isn't the most clearcut of interferences, but if the ball goes through an attacking player's legs while he's offsides, I expect the call. It's the attacker's responsibility to not be offsides and to not interfere with the play at all when they are.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Because, by rule, physical fouls are direct free kicks. Whether it was an attempt at the ball or karate kicking someone 50 feet from the ball doesn't change the fact that a physical foul results in a direct free kick (and a direct free kick foul within the penalty area is a pen)

I get rules and all but it seems harsh to give both. You see refs give a goalie just a yellow and a pen on a foul in the box because they don't want to do double the punishment.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
VAR sucks so much. I don't care about getting every call 100% right to the point where the entertainment product is this much worse. I miss the days when you could celebrate when your favorite team scored a goal, instead of having to wait 10 seconds minimum to make sure there's no VAR checks.

I only mind VAR when it takes a long time and they still can't consistently get calls right. I'm glad we have it in the BuLi :dunno:

Our great start to the season is unfolding in one half lol.

This game really has been like watching Union play Union...

Reactions: luiginb

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
That didn’t look like a short hamstring for Van de Ven, that looked like 3-4 months. Guy couldn’t put any weight in his leg.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
As a small team fan VAR is the best thing that could have happened to football. My hometown team Farul Constanta were never higher than 4 in the league without VAR, first year with VAR we won the league.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I get rules and all but it seems harsh to give both. You see refs give a goalie just a yellow and a pen on a foul in the box because they don't want to do double the punishment.
The double punishment bit is part of the DOGSO rule which wasn't applicable here since Romero wasn't denying an goal scoring opportunity with the specific conduct that earned him the red.

The referee *could* have said that Romero's challenge was only worth a yellow if he felt like it, but if he believes it was a foul, regardless of any color card the challenge earns (if any), it has to be a pen.

Reactions: bluesfan94

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
1) I think Udogie was not a red but at the sametime why the f*** is he sliding with two feet in front? Any decent contact and it's a red with possibly extented suspension.

2) Romero is a red if you stay consistent with how they have been interpreted the red card since the beginning of the year.

3) The goal from Caicedo should have stood. These offside call from shot from afar are a bit too much and quite subjective on how it impacts the goal.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Even if you feel the pen is harsh, you can't not give Romero a red after those two incidents and he did it in the box, so the ref really couldn't do anything else.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
1) I think Udogie was not a red but at the sametime why the f*** is he sliding with two feet?

2) Romero is a red if you stay consistent with how they have been interpreted the red card since the beginning of the year.

3) The goal from Caicedo should have stood. These offside call from shot from afar are a bit too much and quite subjective on how it impacts the goal.
Part of me thinks Udogie should be a red simply because of how unnecessary it is to go with two feet and the fact that he had the audacity to be upset at being whistled for it. :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
1) I think Udogie was not a red but at the sametime why the f*** is he sliding with two feet?
I don't know the EPL's rules, but I think that should be a red every time. You shouldn't have to break someone's leg to get a red for a wildly reckless challenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad