GDT: End of Season Media Availability | Players, Tocchet, Allvin | 11:00AM PST

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Do people actually care about the Hronek thing? It was really funny.

This is funny.

Hronek acting like a child? Not funny. Just an awful look on him. Bandwagon is doing his typical thing right now but there’s no debate - he was rude in that interview.

It doesn’t mean he’s rude in other contexts. If his teammates didn’t like him, we’d know. They wouldn’t have offered him an 8 year deal if the captain or coach found him annoying.

We know he doesn’t want to do media, but that doesn’t mean you can be a dick in your second media interview in 8 months. I watched it again and it’s worse on the second view. He legit looks like he’s on the verge of going on a tirade lmao

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

This is funny.

Hronek acting like a child? Not funny. Just an awful look on him. Bandwagon is doing his typical thing right now but there’s no debate - he was rude in that interview.

It doesn’t mean he’s rude in other contexts. If his teammates didn’t like him, we’d know. They wouldn’t have offered him an 8 year deal if the captain or coach found him annoying.

We know he doesn’t want to do media, but that doesn’t mean you can be a dick in your second media interview in 8 months. I watched it again and it’s worse on the second view. He legit looks like he’s on the verge of going on a tirade lmao

Only thing that would make it funnier is if he fought Jeff Paterson on the spot. Couldn’t care less how he treats the media as long as he’s a fine teammate and plays well.

Reactions: quat

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA

JPat was the guy that Hronek gave the moody answer to. Legendary

Hronek did himself absolutely zero favours with the way he acted today. He won't last in this market if this is how he treats a media that respected his wishes to be left alone all year, but then asked a few totally fair questions at the end of the season.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think it just caught people off guard. It’s like the groundhog coming out of his hole to see his shadow or not and instead looking at the assembled masses, shrugging and saying “what do you want me to say?”

A few things added together that really rubbed me the wrong way:

- His repeated demand at 8 mil AAV contract.
- How he was pretty much the ONLY player who reacted this way.
- His 2nd half performance was sub-par.

Even if he's not a media person, what does it take to fake it? Basic PR 101 here, just bullshit your way out with a bland ass political answer and get it over with. Instead of throwing barbs and thorns back like some pissed off cartoonish Batman villain, how about a "No I wasn't injured. I know I could be better, and I will be better."?

Just look at Zad and Pete, look at how they handled hard questions.

Reactions: Jovofan and Flik

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Or maybe he's quite self critical and just really lacks confidence in front of a camera to give anything but a curt emotional response. It's hard to judge someone based on a small glimpse of their personality.

I'd like to see him anchoring the 2nd pairing if we can keep him, and I hope he comes in around $6.5MM on a long-term deal. Otherwise I'm confident in Allvin to work out a trade deal.

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
that's not what happened

he explicitly claimed pettersson wasn't injured and that the team doesn't lie. then he continued on to say they needed to see more from pettersson. that just opens up pettersson to criticism which -- if tocchet knew about the injury -- is a really questionable thing to do for no real gain

he could have just said there's no major injury concerns with pettersson and left it at that

if his injury issues are chronic he might not want to acknowledge them while he's trying to sign a long term contract
He missed practice due to sickness not the injury. So not a lie. And you never admit an injury in the playoffs. Doing so just invites more pain.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC

This is funny.

People are making too much of this.

Was Hronek a bit rude? A little bit, yeah. Was JPat baiting? A little bit, yeah. Guy is clearly both uncomfortable and bad with the media. Assuming he re-signs here, they'll need to either PR train him or continue to let him avoid post-game scrums.

Personally, I don't think players owe the media squat so I'm not too bothered either way.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hronek did himself absolutely zero favours with the way he acted today. He won't last in this market if this is how he treats a media that respected his wishes to be left alone all year, but then asked a few totally fair questions at the end of the season.

It's only a thing because of his (rumoured, not confirmed) contract demands and struggles in the second half ... people looking for a reason will pile on the guy. If the situation was flipped, ie. he'd played well, people would probably laugh at the interaction like Zadorov's off-kilter comments and like the guy more.

Reactions: Hodgy and Nomobo

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's only a thing because of his (rumoured, not confirmed) contract demands and struggles in the second half ... people looking for a reason will pile on the guy. If the situation was flipped, ie. he'd played well, people would probably laugh at the interaction like Zadorov's off-kilter comments and like the guy more.

Of course. Look at Draisaitl, he's not a media guy either, and he's given media shit, but he's one of maybe two players who can keep up with McDavid without passing out on ice. Results speaks louder than words.

Hronek basically acted like Draisailtl in front of the mics with MUCH less to back it up.

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
Or maybe he's quite self critical and just really lacks confidence in front of a camera to give anything but a curt emotional response. It's hard to judge someone based on a small glimpse of their personality.

I'd like to see him anchoring the 2nd pairing if we can keep him, and I hope he comes in around $6.5MM on a long-term deal. Otherwise I'm confident in Allvin to work out a trade deal.
Introvert guy in his 2nd language and we bust his balls as he doesn't want to deal with the over zealous media of Canada.

Reactions: Nomobo

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Once again the medical staff comes into play in Vancouver

- pearson’s hand
- EP knee
- Mil knee
- Brock bruise into a clot
- Demko knee

Great staff there

Why are players not getting the proper treatment plans and being rushed back into play?

Cost us our season

Maybe look at some changes?

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Introvert guy in his 2nd language and we bust his balls as he doesn't want to deal with the over zealous media of Canada.

That was hardly an overzealous question, and no other player had that reaction. Pete was not a talkable guy either and he took responsibility despite having a legitimate injury.

Reactions: Jovofan

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA

Over zealous media?

The media showed him deference all season and left him alone the entire year.

Then asked him a whopping two questions about his lack of performance after the season was over, and that's too much?

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
Over zealous media?

The media showed him deference all season and left him alone the entire year.

Then asked him a whopping two questions about his lack of performance after the season was over, and that's too much?
Yes, unless the Canucks put in his contract he owes the media, or you jack squat.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
From my experience with it, and granted my diagnosis was from a doctor of a professional Japanese basketball team, it only gets better with significant rest. Resting a few games wouldn't have done anything.
Same thing for me. It was painful as hell and you just sort of wait for it to go away. Ice, NSAIDs and cross your fingers.

Reactions: Vector

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
That was hardly an overzealous question, and no other player had that reaction. Pete was not a talkable guy either and he took responsibility despite having a legitimate injury.
Its cute when fans and media think they are owed anything from players off the ice. You are not.

Reactions: HairyKneel

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Its cute when fans and media think they are owed anything from players off the ice. You are not.

By that logic, fan meet up, signing jersey, and any kind of charity and community engagements are all but in the garbage can?

It's not like every single one of his moves are being grilled and dissected every single time. It's end of season media interview. And like I said, it's not hard to just bullshit your way out. Like or not, part of the job is talking to the media and not making an ass out of yourself, that's a pretty low bar. If the reporter was being particular hostile, like that idiot Larry Brooks then, by all means, let him have it. In this case, that was hardly an unreasonable question, given how badly he's played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad