GDT: End of Season Media Availability | Players, Tocchet, Allvin | 11:00AM PST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
By that logic, fan meet up, signing jersey, and any kind of charity and community engagements are all but in the garbage can?

It's not like every single one of his moves are being grilled and dissected every single time. It's end of season media interview. And like I said, it's not hard to just bullshit your way out. Like or not, part of the job is talking to the media and not making an ass out of yourself, that's a pretty low bar. If the reporter was being particular hostile, like that idiot Larry Brooks then, by all means, let him have it. In this case, that was hardly an unreasonable question, given how badly he's played.
Hronek doesn't do interviews etc and a result he also makes little to no money in Canada from endorsements. Maybe he does in CZ. But he owes nobody but the coaches, front office and teammates anything. Anything else a player offers you, is a bonus. Zadarov gets the love and he can use that to sell or endorse things if he so wishes. But he also owes you nothing outside of the rink.

Reactions: Nomobo and dez

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That was hardly an overzealous question, and no other player had that reaction. Pete was not a talkable guy either and he took responsibility despite having a legitimate injury.
Twitterverse suggests that Hronek also had a legitimate injury. I don't care if a player is particularly rude or not. Hell Miller at times was an ass. Sometimes people need to learn or mature or be taught.

Reactions: Nomobo

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
T

I can't remember where it was posted, but someone said his ankle got cut in R2 G1 and that heavily impacted his mobility after.

Respect that he doesn't want to make excuses.

he experience of a consistent playoff performer through the years.

If this is his attitude in front of the cam, he probably would not have been a peach to deal with in the locker rooms, it seems.
Especially with Cole and Miller holding him accountable.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Hronek doesn't do interviews etc and a result he also makes little to no money in Canada from endorsements. Maybe he does in CZ. But he owes nobody but the coaches, front office and teammates anything. Anything else a player offers you, is a bonus. Zadarov gets the love and he can use that to sell or endorse things if he so wishes. But he also owes you nothing outside of the rink.

I'm referring to hockey players in general, as your previous post implied that, in general, players don't owe anything off ice to anyone. Has Hronek done enough on ice for him to hit back at the media like this? I don't think he did.

Like I said, if the question was particularly hostile, I'm totally OK with Hronek letting it loose on JPat. I am no fan of MSM, sports or otherwise, and I enjoy seeing dipshit trolls like Brooks getting his ass chewed up by Torts, deservedly so. But this is not one of those cases.

Twitterverse suggests that Hronek also had a legitimate injury. I don't care if a player is particularly rude or not. Hell Miller at times was an ass. Sometimes people need to learn or mature or be taught.

Miller definitely can be an ass, but he's got enough on his resume to back it up, for sure.

If Hronek did have a legit injury and doesn't want to talk about it, an answer as simple as "I know I could've played better, and I'm definitely going to be better going foward" would've been totally cool.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Both were as good as i ever heard as a Canucks fan.

The unbelievable accountability, open to changing things, not being defensive with our general manager or coaching, the fact he’s pissed off that we made it to only round two.

That was perfect

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
Lol it's literally in their contract to talk to the media, somehow he skates on doing it all year, and when he finally has to fulfill part of his contract and peeps in his diaper.
Then you just Marshawn Lynch it. Yes/No. No Comment. Or if Hronek just say nothing in Czech. Most players say nothing at all anyways, its just cliches. I'd rather you say nothing at all and let those that like publicity do the talking instead.

Reactions: Paulinbc and Nomobo

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Once again the medical staff comes into play in Vancouver

- pearson’s hand
- EP knee
- Mil knee
- Brock bruise into a clot
- Demko knee

Great staff there

Why are players not getting the proper treatment plans and being rushed back into play?

Cost us our season

Maybe look at some changes?
They have made changes. Roger Takahashi, who was the teams PT for like 20+ years was let go.

I'm really curious if this is as big a deal as folks make it out to be or if you could find similar issues with other teams.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm no Jeff Patterson fan but I also really turn my nose up at Hronek's attitude towards the questioning regardless of how Patterson might be viewed in comparison to his peers. I don't think the questions were that terrible. Also, despising the media and refusing to talk / do interviews to me is something I take issue with. You're a professional athlete, talking to the media IMO is part of the job, especially if you're asking to be paid amongst the leaders on the team. It would be like an office worker saying they refuse to answer emails, it sorta comes with the territory of the profession, no?

Hronek hasn't been in Vancouver long enough to cop that kind of attitude with the media - who serve as a conduit to the fans - and when his play doesn't afford him the "luxury" of acting entitled. J.T. Miller can get away with being moody from time to time because the dude brings it on the ice and is a warrior. Todd Bertuzzi was a surly grump too but he put up 80 and 90 point seasons.

Hronek rides the coattails of the likely Norris Trophy winner and puts up a couple of months of good play and think that he's allowed to act like a prick when the rest of his teammates owned up to their shortcomings or contract statuses. He might be well liked amongst his teammates but he sure doesn't look like he gives a shit about the fanbase and how are we to form a liking to the player when we're not able to get a glimpse of his personality and his on-ice performance doesn't demand it either?

Not a fan, Would not miss him a bit if he's moved.
This is what I wrote in the other thread but feel it applies here too. I don't understand why he couldn't just BS his way through the questions but instead he chose to act the way he did. To me it was unbecoming.

Perhaps I'm just getting cynical and jaded as I get older but attitudes like the one Hronek displayed today rub me the wrong way. I deal with people in my line of work and I don't particularly enjoy it, engaging the public can be exhausting and sometimes frustrating, but it's also part of my job. So you suck it up, put a fake smile on your face if you have to and get through the interaction. If you want to joke about it with your coworkers or roll your eyes at the person behind closed doors after the fact, go for it, but you have to conduct yourself with some sort of professionalism, especially in a market like our's where things are, for better or worse, put under a microscope.

Saying "English is his second language, give him a break" is a weak argument. English is a lot of these guys' second language and they still had more grace and professionalism than Hronek did today, even Petey who isn't the most outgoing guy himself but he probably had the quote of the entire day despite that.

Reactions: Tinhorn1 and Flik

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
The fact of the matter is Hronek acted like a basic question was a personal affront, then made himself the story by acting like a hostile asshole. He's supposed to do many things as a Canuck, and one of them is to represent his team well on and off the ice. He didn't do that today. Is it the end of the world? No. Do I respect it? No.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Allvin clarifying that the bar is to compete for a cup and not the 2nd round participation ribbon is very strong messaging.
Love this! Continue to set the bar high and push this group into the promised land! Alvin has a shit ton of work to do to prevent a backslide tho.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hronek did himself absolutely zero favours with the way he acted today. He won't last in this market if this is how he treats a media that respected his wishes to be left alone all year, but then asked a few totally fair questions at the end of the season.
Exactly I mean it's not a huge thing but why not do the easy thing here or maybe he goes off to a non hockey crazy market instead?

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Then you just Marshawn Lynch it. Yes/No. No Comment. Or if Hronek just say nothing in Czech. Most players say nothing at all anyways, its just cliches. I'd rather you say nothing at all and let those that like publicity do the talking instead.

Precisely!

So what did Hronek do? None of the above. He gets to own it now.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
If you want to read into the responses of the UFA's, the guy that sounded most enthusiastic about coming back (other than Myers) was Joshua. He emphatically said that he wanted to be back right off the bat. Most of the other guys more or less said they had fun, they enjoyed their time, but we'll see what happens. Some guys are more articulate about it and crafty with the media than others. Zadorov was having some fun with it, and it seems that he wants to be back but the contract offer would certainly have to be in the same stratosphere. I wasn't previously, but I'm slightly more optimistic after that interview that Zadorov might be interested in a tiny discount to stay.
id take Joshua back at a reasonable number. Love that Alvin wants to find the next DJ. would love to have two of them! thought this team was too soft for the playoffs and some more muscle and skill would fit perfectly

Reactions: Jovofan

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Vancouver media hockey questions have always been worded stupidly. They ask the questions they wanted answered but the questions are just so dumb. Petey is getting used to it now and just getting things out of the way clearly.

"It's been a noisy season in terms of the contract and how shit I've been the last few months."

The media know that contracts are pretty much in the hands of the agents. A lot of coverage for Canucks is great but the questions that are asked are so dumb.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Vancouver media hockey questions have always been worded stupidly. They ask the questions they wanted answered but the questions are just so dumb. Petey is getting used to it now and just getting things out of the way clearly.

"It's been a noisy season in terms of the contract and how shit I've been the last few months."

The media know that contracts are pretty much in the hands of the agents. A lot of coverage for Canucks is great but the questions that are asked are so dumb.
Too elaborate on your point: most questions Canucks reporters ask fall into at least one (and often more than one) of these categories:

1) They're some combination of vague, confusing, rambling, and borderline illiterate.

2) They ask a yes/no question.

3) They ask a question to which the questioner already knows the answer.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Too elaborate on your point: most questions Canucks reporters ask fall into at least one (and often more than one) of these categories:

1) They're some combination of vague, confusing, rambling, and borderline illiterate.

2) They ask a yes/no question.

3) They ask a question to which the questioner already knows the answer.
Bang on. They should all take some therapy training so they can ask questions that will elicit a response from the players.

Reactions: Lindgren

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Paterson is a nice guy and this is far from an Edmonton/Draisaitl situation where a player snaps back at a reporter for an actual stupid question, and a stupid question wasn't asked to Hronek.

I get that he's super media shy but he needs to be better than that, no matter how disappointed he is in himself regarding his weak performance down the stretch.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Bang on. They should all take some therapy training so they can ask questions that will elicit a response from the players.
Or just read a book on how to interview. There's lots of straightforward material available.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Now that I listen to this in full, man Allvin has a creative memory on Mikheyev. He said they know he's not a top-six player ... but he's a good PK guy ... why did you give him that contract? They totally thought he could be top-six when they signed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad