OT - NO POLITICS End of February- hoping for early Spring.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

I won't lie - I'm nervous but I can't complain about the quality of care I am getting.
This is how cash in on Boston's insanely high cost of living. Use it's resources to your advantage! You got this!

When we lived in MA, my son had some new food allergies and I had a PPO plan so I made an appt. at children's hospital. Happen to get the director of food allergies. Every question was answered with "well I commissioned a study for that and....". Best $300 I ever spent.

Now that I live in rural VT I do take come comfort of having my Dr. being part of Dartmouth Hitchcock. It's not Partners (or whatever the new name is) but it is probably the best you can get outside of Boston.

Reactions: Kate08 and Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
When your friends live in the country and you park in their side yard when you visit, this is your view :laugh::heart:

20240314_143941.jpg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
And here is Captain Zdeno, aka Zdeno, aka Pup. He left us December 2020, just two months after this photo was taken. I share it now years later because he was the coolest, I will miss him forever, and never get tired of sharing stories about him. Homie battled raging diabetes for 18 months, the first month in which the vet said he needed emergency services and literally might never go home again. We ignored that vet, took him home, and he ran around for 18 months. Poor pup went blind REAL quick, which sucked at first but he got used to it just as quick as it happened. I miss his snuggles but I know hes happier now that nobody is chasing him for insulin
View attachment 834517

Why is Z wearing glasses?

Reactions: eightspokedb

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
^ Here's the guy who's f*cking bullshit. And take your "Ramsey's Kitchen" with you.

That Taffer character's self-titled Tavern just closed its doors here in Watertown. I'm all broken up.

I'm here all week. :)
Gordon Ramsay is hilarious. I don't take his shtick seriously at all.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Busy day for SpaceX- after successful launch & test of Starship (although it didn't make it through re-entry) they're going to launch another batch of Starlink satellites tonight @ 7:04PM

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Busy day for SpaceX- after successful launch & test of Starship (although it didn't make it through re-entry) they're going to launch another batch of Starlink satellites tonight @ 7:04PM

Should just tax and fund NASA - they figured the space shuttle 50 years ago and for the country.

Gordon Ramsay is hilarious. I don't take his shtick seriously at all.
He was golden on Hot Ones

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Our VCR finally broke, we have home movies from when our kids were little and a ton of Christmas specials and one movie that cannot be found anywhere. Our daughters wanted all of them saved - a total of about 30 hours. Fortunately there is a little place in the area that converts them to digital.

The cost is $320 with a discount and no tax for cash. That amount just happens to be the exact amount that we just sold my Dad's Folio Society books for. My daughters get their gift from their grandparents directly. It was meant to be.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
SpaceX was unable to launch their Starlink satellites last night, there was a mechanical issue with the launch pad that prevented launching. Second night in a row a pad issue caused an abort. Someone's got some 'splaining to do.... 🚀

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Yes and no. Yes, they flew a lot more regularly which was great for exploration & us space geeks. No because they were death traps for the crews. It was a miracle & credit to the ground crews that only 2 were lost in 135 flights.
After I finish reading “Anna Karenia,” my next read is “Bringing Columbia Home.” A sad story, but that accident has always fascinated me. It is my opinion that Linda Ham and several others should have been held accountable for their actions and inactions that DIRECTLY led to the loss of the crew.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: eightspokedb

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Pet hotels are extortion and costs have skyrocketed lately. A couple years ago it was about $25-27 a night on average, in the fall we were going to go away for the weekend and weren't sure if family would be around to watch the dog, so I called and they said their rate has gone up to $49 a night. I called around to other places, and those proved to be even higher at over $60, some close to $70. And that doesn't even count all the add-ons they push like grooming, an extra walk, administering medication, or pictures.

It really discourages pet owners from ever taking a vacation. Sometimes the dog's hotel costs are higher than my own for the same vacation.

I know a lot of the pricing is probably covering themselves for liability But you feed them twice a day, take them out for a walk in the afternoon, and the rest of the time you leave them in a kennel and have someone on staff to do regular walkthroughs in case of emergency. No reason that a week's stay should be $450.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
After I finish reading “Anna Karenia,” my next read is “Bringing Columbia Home.” A sad story, but that accident has always fascinated me. It is my opinion that Linda Ham and several others should have been held accountable for their actions and inactions that DIRECTLY led to the loss of the crew.

Read "Truth, Lies & O-Rings" by Allen MacDonald. He was an engineer with Morton Thiokol who warned against launching Challenger but his warnings were ignored. The people who authorized that launch were never reprimanded or fired as they should have been. Some were transferred to other posts but overall no heads rolled. So Columbia was just more of the same bullshit, as unfortunately by the time of Challenger NASA had become just another government bureaucracy more interested in perpetuating itself than in actually carrying out its missions. Roger MacDonald & another Morton Thiokol engineer were basically blacklisted by the aerospace industry for publicly revealing their known opposition to launching shuttles, MacDonald because of the weather that morning & his colleague because he knew about the defective joints in the solid rocket boosters and argued against any more shuttle launches until those joints could be replaced.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Our VCR finally broke, we have home movies from when our kids were little and a ton of Christmas specials and one movie that cannot be found anywhere. Our daughters wanted all of them saved - a total of about 30 hours. Fortunately there is a little place in the area that converts them to digital.

The cost is $320 with a discount and no tax for cash. That amount just happens to be the exact amount that we just sold my Dad's Folio Society books for. My daughters get their gift from their grandparents directly. It was meant to be.

If you ever want to purchase another VCR, I recommend looking at Mercari. We got a good deal on one and it works perfectly.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Central air is all but finished. The final touches on the ducts are being made tomorrow, which means another stack of cash out of my pockets. All that will be left after this weekend on the AC is the condenser, which can't happen until the grade gets fixed...which can't happen until the gutters get fixed, and somewhere in there there's gotta be some sparky work done as well.

So from the time I said "stop, I'll investigate on my own." to when it was just about finished...two weeks! Considering it took the bosses two weeks to just get a quote (that was 4500 higher than what I went and got) I would say we did ok in comparison!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Pet hotels are extortion and costs have skyrocketed lately. A couple years ago it was about $25-27 a night on average, in the fall we were going to go away for the weekend and weren't sure if family would be around to watch the dog, so I called and they said their rate has gone up to $49 a night. I called around to other places, and those proved to be even higher at over $60, some close to $70. And that doesn't even count all the add-ons they push like grooming, an extra walk, administering medication, or pictures.

It really discourages pet owners from ever taking a vacation. Sometimes the dog's hotel costs are higher than my own for the same vacation.

I know a lot of the pricing is probably covering themselves for liability But you feed them twice a day, take them out for a walk in the afternoon, and the rest of the time you leave them in a kennel and have someone on staff to do regular walkthroughs in case of emergency. No reason that a week's stay should be $450.

Except, of course, that it is.

"Late-stage extractive capitalism."

The very idea of a doggie hotel or pet spa is, to me, rather precious and beyond silly. Though if you don't have someone to look after the dog while away, I understand the problem.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Ate at a restaurant today with friends. It was kind of themed from the 80s and 90s, or at least I'm assuming that's when the owners grew up lol. When you order your food they give you a placard with a character from a movie or TV show to set on the table. Then when the food is ready they call out for whatever character you have. Mine was Zack Morris. :laugh: We also had Maverick, Jaws, Pee Wee Herman, and Chandler Bing.

20240315_124817.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad