Value of: Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Comparables would be Tkachuk and Eichel. Using Tkachuk as a template we end up with:

Huberdeau + Weegar + 1st lottery protected + C prospect

Huberdeau was a 1W rental (1 year remaining) on a good contract, and Weegar was a top 4 defenseman rental on a good contract. Considering rental prices for a 1W and a Top4D, it's safe to value Huberdeau and Weegar as lottery protected 1sts. Cole Schwindt was probably worth a 4th, maybe a 3rd.

So in terms of picks, we can expect a package of 3 lottery protected 1sts (or desired equivalent assets), and a 3rd/4th.

This would be the base price, and Pettersson is easily worth this price to whomever can pay. The trade becomes incredibly complicated once you factor in team needs and their goals with the trade. I seriously doubt VAN is going to want pure picks, so the trade gets tricky. Regardless, 3+ protected 1sts + sweetener is going to be the ask.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We could just keep Quinn, sign the local boy Devon Toews who will be an impending UFA when an EP trade is likely to occur, and trade EP for replacements up front.
If you have the $8.75mm per on a 7 year deal for Toews, I can’t argue your logic Peter.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Lol. It's facts, not trolling.
Look Mathew is an amazing player, nobody would say otherwise, but saying he is head and shoulders above one of the best two way players in the league, coming off a 102 point season, is f***ing lunacy, give your head a shake bud.

I would take Tkachuk in a flash over Pettersson. He's playoff warrior
And somehow EP isn't?

It's becoming more and more obvious, you've never watched EP play, either that or you don't understand even the basics of hockey, like, at all.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Now do before he was traded, what actually matters.
I thought we could cherry puck stats to prove a point ?

I guess I should have used Tkachuks recent 24 points in 20 games.

Both (Pettersson and Tkachuk) are amazing players, but trying to use Pettersson playing half as many playoff games (not his fault, but still) to make a point is weak.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Both (Pettersson and Tkachuk) are amazing players, but trying to use Pettersson playin half as many playoff games (not his fault, but still) to make a point is weak.
I think the point was that both Tkachuk and EP have had great individual success in the postseason, Tkachuk being a “playoff warrior” comment. You bringing up Eichel was both kinda pointless and bizarre to be honest.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Jack Eichel 26 points in 22 playoff games.

So, I guess Florida overpaid for Tkachuk and Vancouver is getting less than what Buffalo got for Eichel.
1694566385446.gif

I think the point was that both Tkachuk and EP have had great individual success in the postseason, Tkachuk being a “playoff warrior” comment. You bringing up Eichel was both kinda pointless and bizarre to be honest.
Don't you love when people jump into conversations with no clue of what's actually going on to make a point that did not need to be made?...........

Reactions: Peter Griffin

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Dubois wanted out and forced it with his play and Jarmo landed Laine+Roslovic

Jones wasnt going to resign and had a couple teams he would sign with and along with a late 1st got 2 picks (Jiricek, Sillinger), Boqvist (former 8th overall pick) and a 2nd.

People (person) are trying to pretend a 100 point young 2way center wouldnt get at minimum these deals? :laugh:

Calgary chose a more win now trade and picked up a big producing winger who is due to bounce back and a solid top pair defenseman on a good deal. Should they have gone a more futures deal? Yeah but they didnt give Tkachuk away even if the immediate payoff hasnt been good

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Both (Pettersson and Tkachuk) are amazing players, but trying to use Pettersson playing half as many playoff games (not his fault, but still) to make a point is weak.

You're kind of missing the point though. It wasn't to insinuate the Tkachuk wasn't a good playoff performer or that Pettersson was necessarily better but to refute the notion Tkachuk is a "playoff warrior," thus a much more valuable player... despite having less overall production than Pettersson.

Basically, they're both incredibly talented players and the person who started this quote chain is comically and hilariously undervaluing Pettersson. I mean, that was their third attempt to shift goalposts because they kept getting dunked on so hard. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad