Value of: Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cfj007

Aug 26, 2023
I'd rather keep Pettersson.
Me too, but if you play the odds and read between lines with the players stance on resigning , it doesn't look good. If the Canucks miss the playoffs and it's known the player won't sign long term, leverage and value is lost. You're looking at max value right now unless they significantly over achieve this year. If you get a good young centre and a couple of blue chippers, might be worth rethinking. Id be gauging value right now....

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Lol Detroit has nothing of interest to Vancouver in a trade for EP other than Seider. There would need to be a substantial plus on top of him.
Unfortunately you’re likely to be real disappointed then.

Once it’s known he’s not resigning, everything changes. The clock starts ticking as reality sets in. They’ll ultimately take the best package they can get for him, and that package I put out there, is about the best they’d receive. That’s much more than Winnipeg got for Dubois with Wallinder being included. Teams don’t trade prospects like Kasper or Wallinder. All 3 of whom are very close to playing in the NHL.

The good part about disagreements like this is, we always find out. If I’m wrong I’ll be here to admit it. I’d wager however, that I’m much closer than you are (on the return) though... For them to get Kasper, Wallinder, Hanas and a #1 pick, that would be an insanely good package. Most Detroit fans would have a coronary looking at that.

We shall see though.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Lol Detroit has nothing of interest to Vancouver in a trade for EP other than Seider. There would need to be a substantial plus on top of him.

Once it’s known he’s not resigning, everything changes. The clock starts ticking as reality sets in. They’ll ultimately take the best package they can get for him, and that package I put out there, is about the best they’d receive. That’s much more than Winnipeg got for Dubois with Wallinder being included. Teams don’t trade prospects like Kasper or Wallinder. All 3 of whom are very close to playing in the NHL.

The good part about disagreements like this is, we always find out. If I’m wrong I’ll be here to admit it. I’d wager however, that I’m much closer than you are (on the return) though... For them to get Kasper, Wallinder, Hanas and a #1 pick, that would be an insanely good package. Most Detroit fans would have a coronary looking at that.

We shall see though.
The truth is, even star players never garner the kind of returns that fans expect.

Last edited:

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
So you wouldn't take Danielson, Edvinsson & Wallinder?
Is this an offer for Pettersson?

Honestly, if Pettersson is on his way out That's pretty close to what I'd ask but the issue is adding two additional LHD doesn't help the Canucks that i see. Throwing in someone like Soderblom or Beggren and a pick would be more preferable as the team would be losing that top flight can't miss centre teams dream of.

There's a balance I think that would have to be met between a potential replacement (Danielson) a supplementary cant miss forward (Soderblom) or big hope forward (Beggren) and the sweetener(s) in Edvinsson and or Wallinder or the added pick(s) in the event of only getting one of those two or percieved lesser value items like Beggren/Lombardi

This is not to say the ask is 5 pieces. But instead your suggestion of those 3 in Danielson, Edvinsson & Wallinder. Or a combination of

Danielson, Soderblom Edvinsson or Wallinder + supplementary pick

Danielson, Beggren/Lombardi, Wallinder or Edvinsson + supplementary picks (based on lesser value forward return

Danielson, Beggren/Lombardi and Edvinsson & Wallinder (based on no picks lesser value forward return)

While this might be a bit much or untenable for Wings fans; speaking ONLY from a Canucks position of need vs return point of view that's probably 3 solid returns for Pettersson in terms of future need and a potential replacement in Danielson and the addition of additional forwards of those 3 might more than move the needle

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
being a Canucks fan why wouldnt i have an investment in the Canucks? LOL at you thinking I'm a Flames fan that frequents a Flames board, obviously for some reason you do. Go back to the cesspool of CDC where you belong.
Sorry I thought I was quilting that McJedi dude

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

Honestly, if Pettersson is on his way out That's pretty close to what I'd ask but the issue is adding two additional LHD doesn't help the Canucks that i see. Throwing in someone like Soderblom or Beggren and a pick would be more preferable as the team would be losing that top flight can't miss centre teams dream of.

There's a balance I think that would have to be met between a potential replacement (Danielson) a supplementary cant miss forward (Soderblom) or big hope forward (Beggren) and the sweetener(s) in Edvinsson and or Wallinder or the added pick(s) in the event of only getting one of those two or percieved lesser value items like Beggren/Lombardi

This is not to say the ask is 5 pieces. But instead your suggestion of those 3 in Danielson, Edvinsson & Wallinder. Or a combination of

Danielson, Beggren/Lombardi, Wallinder or Edvinsson + supplementary picks (based on lesser value forward return

Danielson, Beggren/Lombardi and Edvinsson & Wallinder (based on no picks lesser value forward return)

While this might be a bit much or untenable for Wings fans; speaking ONLY from a Canucks position of need vs return point of view that's probably 3 solid returns for Pettersson in terms of future need and a potential replacement in Danielson and the addition of additional forwards of those 3 might more than move the needle
It can be some sort of variations like that. Teams don’t trade prospects like Wallinder and certainly don’t trade an Edvinsson. So they wouldn’t get both. But yea, I bet they would trade one of them, along with one of Danielson or Kasper, and then another nice young player and a pick. Probably 4 pieces but that’s gonna be the ballpark.

The only time you’d ever see a trade for real proper value, is when neither team has to make the trade. In this case the Canucks would be on notice that he’s not signing. They’ll get a really nice package… But it’s not starting with a Seider. People thinking that have to realize it’s not a video game. There’s a reason he will be traded. Some of the ones you put out there, and the one I did….. we haven’t seen an NHL trade with that many top prospects in years. I can’t even think of the last time. Maybe the Lindros trade. There was the Bernie Nicholls for Granato and Sandstrom trade in the late 80s. Klima, Graves and Murphy for Carson.

Rarely does a top prospect get traded, but multiples? Those are great offers. The question should be, will they get that much? Not people laughing at those types of offers.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

We shall see though.
Don't bother trying to rationalize with someone who thinks we get a + on top of Seider, don't waste your time.

Reactions: Petes2424

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think if the Canucks deal Pettersson the return will include a couple of first round picks.
He is projecting to be a top 7 or 8 center, maybe as high as a top 5.

Of course a 1rst from a playoff team is like a second on a bottom feeder so teams like Detroit might not mind dealing away 3 1rst's.

If the Canucks have to deal EP they should, SHOULD be doing a proper rebuild then.

The present line up is a shambles, a collection of hopes and getting older and slower. This season the team is filled with players in their prime years or just past but then it has been close to that for a decade too and a pitiful win/loss record getting many wins playing against back up goalies and meaningless games. Of the last 30 games 2021-17w40pts and 2022- 18w39pts after the die was cast, meaningless games.

EP's value should rant up there with Lindros's return or better.

BTW OEL's buyout negates cap increases, next by half and the next 2 years likely by 100% followed by half again. 2.34, 4.75,4.75, 2.1, increases other teams will use.

Columbus and Arizona might be front runners for EP.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I think if the Canucks deal Pettersson the return will include a couple of first round picks.
He is projecting to be a top 7 or 8 center, maybe as high as a top 5.

Of course a 1rst from a playoff team is like a second on a bottom feeder so teams like Detroit might not mind dealing away 3 1rst's.

If the Canucks have to deal EP they should, SHOULD be doing a proper rebuild then.

The present line up is a shambles, a collection of hopes and getting older and slower. This season the team is filled with players in their prime years or just past but then it has been close to that for a decade too and a pitiful win/loss record getting many wins playing against back up goalies and meaningless games. Of the last 30 games 2021-17w40pts and 2022- 18w39pts after the die was cast, meaningless games.

EP's value should rant up there with Lindros's return or better.

BTW OEL's buyout negates cap increases, next by half and the next 2 years likely by 100% followed by half again. 2.34, 4.75,4.75, 2.1, increases other teams will use.

If it is true that he might want to leave because he wants to win the cup then i doubt Arizona or Columbus are in the cards. I'd love to have him in Philly but we're also ass. At the end of the day i think he'll stay with Vancouver.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
If it is true that he might want to leave because he wants to win the cup then i doubt Arizona or Columbus are in the cards. I'd love to have him in Philly but we're also ass. At the end of the day i think he'll stay with Vancouver.
Columbus and Arizona would both have the NHL behind them. They are both very young teams with very young and good prospects playing in the NHL. Both have cap space to make in season improvements.

These are all things the Canucks do not have.

They don't have a single 15 goal 25 point scorer under 27 not named Elias Pettersson or Quinn Hughes.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

EP's value should rant up there with Lindros's return or better. ...
Ummm, I didn't see any sign that this was said in a joking manner.

The Lindros overpayment, as good as he was, was one of the most unbalanced trades in history and set up the Nordiques (later Avalanche) for years. Lindros at the time was a year out of being drafted and was seen by many as the league's next great superstar, different from Gretzky and Lemieux but possibly overall at least near their level because of his mixture of great strength, size and skill.

The Nordiques got a great young center prospect (Hall of Famer Peter Forsberg), a highly regarded first string goalie in Ron Hextall, a really good defensive center in Mike Ricci who wasn't much more than a year older than Lindros, a high scoring defenceman who had twice made the all star game (and made it another time after being traded) in 27 year old Steve Duchesne, a 24 year old defenceman in Kerry Huffman, two first round draft picks (both 10th overall as it turned out) and $15 million cash in 1992 dollars.

My guess is that never again will a player be traded for such a huge return.
With the reason EP might be traded being that he wants to win those are two teams that would need to have tremendous improvement over their results last season to have any reason to hope they could sign him long term. At this stage these two teams would be wise to be interested only in being 3rd parties to the deal, not possible destinations for Pettersson.

Reactions: theguardianII

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

That would be a near unprecedented haul. It's going to be interesting to see what the Canucks get.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We need a new thread way 2 much bickering from old proposals that are not even elligble anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad