Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Its only 3 games, but I think you definitely want to see Petey play better than he has so far for his new contract, especially if he hinted that tendonitis was a factor in his play being affected last season/playoffs. I'm not worried yet but definitely hoping Petey starts to show up because we will win significantly more games if he does.
I think to most people (including me) the points are awesome but it’s the urgency and tenacity and the desire to use the talents he has but for some reason refuses to do so that is making us sick of his play.

Like dude just do what you’re capable and being paid to do. I don’t want you to be Tom Wilson but use your skill set to the level you can every shift.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Its only 3 games, but I think you definitely want to see Petey play better than he has so far for his new contract, especially if he hinted that tendonitis was a factor in his play being affected last season/playoffs. I'm not worried yet but definitely hoping Petey starts to show up because we will win significantly more games if he does.

It's not like he's going through a cold streak or is snake bitten where he's just unlucky. His play has been bad since the All Star break for the last ~40 games which is even more concerning

He looks timid and disinterested out there, constantly shying away from contact. You have to wonder if there's still a nagging injury or if the issue is all between the ears (or both).

This team isn't going anywhere without Pettersson snapping out of his funk

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
For all the whining from the critics about "can't complain about EP around here cuz fanbois" it's clear that all of the exaggerations, ridiculously bombastic comments and borderline trolling are coming solely from the critics, not the "fanboys".
The last time when Pettersson slumped for the first half of the season and turned it around. Does anyone recall what exactly triggered it or he just gradually became better? I think season with 68 pts.
Gradually became better. He was one of the few who didn't get an immediate Bruce bump, it was more around Jan/Feb that his play started to tick up and it carried into the next season.

Reactions: Bgav

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
For all the whining from the critics about "can't complain about EP around here cuz fanbois" it's clear that all of the exaggerations, ridiculously bombastic comments and borderline trolling are coming solely from the critics, not the "fanboys".

Gradually became better. He was one of the few who didn't get an immediate Bruce bump, it was more around Jan/Feb that his play started to tick up and it carried into the next season.
Yeah he maintained a 100+ point pace between december 2021 and February 2024. By far his most consistent and impressive stretch.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's not like he's going through a cold streak or is snake bitten where he's just unlucky. His play has been bad since the All Star break for the last ~40 games which is even more concerning

He looks timid and disinterested out there, constantly shying away from contact. You have to wonder if there's still a nagging injury or if the issue is all between the ears (or both).

This team isn't going anywhere without Pettersson snapping out of his funk

I think the bolded is absolutely out to lunch.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
If this is true then our season has likely ended before it started. He had 4 full months of rest and rehab, and THIS is the end result? Now he has to play 82 games in 8 months, adding wear and tear to his hobbled knee, it is not getting better in season.

Zoom out a little bit, would another 4 months off in the summer of 2025 make a difference? If it didn't this time, not sure I'm confident it will next year.

I really hope it's not the knee anymore.
This knee thing is pure fantasy and copium.

In fact, the entire "Pettersson isn't under performing, he's just injured" excuse has run its course at this point.

Hell, it was flimsy to begin with when people tried to claim he was injured for the entire back half of the season and playoffs when Tocchet basically said "that's news to me" in the postseason presser.

I came into this season willing to give him a fresh start. Put all the past behind us and let's see him perform at the level we know he's capable of. No excuses, just perform.

So far, it's been a big "womp womp" through the first 3 games.

My patience with him is wearing very thin, and I'd imagine this is the case for many other fans as well.

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
I came into this season willing to give him a fresh start. Put all the past behind us and let's see him perform at the level we know he's capable of. No excuses, just perform.

My patience with him is wearing very thin
, and I'd imagine this is the case for many other fans as well.
Hm, maybe you were willing to give a him fresh start, but changed your mind

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Agreed, those are the kinds of expectations we should be having for all our players, but especially our stars.

The 2011 team had the Sedins leveling up by putting in the work, Burrows did the same, Edler, Kesler etc.

The new-ish teams: Horvat put in the reps to fix issues with his skating, Miller leveled up, Hughes has clearly put in time to fix issues and improve, etc etc.

These are gamers that want to be better and are being held to the highest standards (as they should).

But what I don't get is why people seem to be so protective of Petey. He's a f***ing game breaker level talent, he should be pushing himself and others to a higher standard but it sure doesn't seem like that's the case at all.

His on ice performance for the last few months has been abysmal, doubly so because of the new contract. If he's badly injured, he needs to do the right thing for his future and sit out and heal, life is too short to f*** around with your body.

If he's good enough to play then he needs to be judged at the level of star player that he is, no?

We all (ok, most of us lol) want him to succeed as a Canuck, so what's wrong with holding him to a high standard and voicing our issues with his lack of performance? I don't get it.
The medical staff and coach need to sit him.

The players will allways try to play through injuries if allowed.

This knee thing is pure fantasy and copium.

In fact, the entire "Pettersson isn't under performing, he's just injured" excuse has run its course at this point.

Hell, it was flimsy to begin with when people tried to claim he was injured for the entire back half of the season and playoffs when Tocchet basically said "that's news to me" in the postseason presser.

My patience with him is wearing very thin, and I'd imagine this is the case for many other fans as well.
Only reason to believe this is if you are biased against the player.

This kind of reminds me how posters here hated Mike Gillis because he wasnt nice in interviews.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's get one thing clear......if this is what the Canucks are going to get out their highest paid player then they're essential dead in the water. I mean we aren't talking about a three-game slump here....this has been going on for almost the past 40 games.

I read somewhere that he has one five-on-five goal in 28 games. Seriously? The excuses last year and into the playoffs, was that he was playing hurt. At least this is what he said at the end of the season, apparently surprising both the coaches and the medical staff.

I believe Pettersson is trying, and wants to be better. But until he goes out there and proves it, there's nowhere to run and hide from an $11.6m annual salary.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Hm, maybe you were willing to give a him fresh start, but changed your mind
Team is 0-1-2 and he has 1 assist. And so far the only criticism I've given him is "womp womp." I will be much more critical if he keeps this up.

On the other hand, if he starts to perform, I will very happily praise him.

The medical staff and coach need to sit him.

The players will allways try to play through injuries if allowed.

Only reason to believe this is if you are biased against the player.

This kind of reminds me how posters here hated Mike Gillis because he wasnt nice in interviews.
Start a poll right now in the Canucks subforum.

Ask the posters here if they believe that Elias Pettersson is currently injured, and that's why he's playing like this.

You won't do that, because you already know what the results would be.

You are entitled to your opinion but you are very much in the minority. Please don't pretend that anyone who thinks Pettersson is currently healthy is hating on him for some arbitrary reason.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Start a poll right now in the Canucks subforum.

Ask the posters here if they believe that Elias Pettersson is currently injured, and that's why he's playing like this.

You won't do that, because you already know what the results would be.

You are entitled to your opinion but you are very much in the minority. Please don't pretend that anyone who thinks Pettersson is currently healthy is hating on him for some arbitrary reason.
Oh.

I thought you meant his injury didnt explain his slump last season.

There are number of posters who insisted he was healthy and when he came out with the knee injury, instead of admitting they were wrong just decided that he is lying... :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad