Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Re: boat interview

The franchise was a dumpster fire since Pettersson was drafted. I don't blame any player for wanting to wait and see if things will turn around before committing long term. Typically players don't go public with that sentiment but i imagine it's a common condition regardless.

It's just ironic that he pretty much said "let's see if you're good enough for me" and then when the organization showed they were clearly on the right track on and off the ice and gave him the bag, he was the one that ended up shitting the bed.

Last edited:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
That was a form of protest when Benning was brought back in 2021. It was entirely connected to the dysfunction here and had nothing to do with them.

I’ve never cheered a single goal that team has scored, never followed them.

Well that's splitting hairs a bit, but ok. However, I think it's entirely fair that if you're going to protest the dysfunction of this franchise, it's fair for Pettersson to question whether he wants to commit to the franchise for the rest of his career.

As for Pettersson's media interactions, you'll get no argument from me. They've been horrid. His press conference at the start of the season was a night and day difference, if you care to start changing your perspective at any point.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Re: boat interview

The franchise was a dumpster fire since Pettersson was drafted. I don't blame any player for wanting to wait and see if things will turn around before committing long term. Typically players don't go public with that sentiment but i imagine it's a common condition regardless.

It's just ironic that he pretty much said "let's see if you're good enough of me" and then when the organization showed they were clearly on the right track on and off the ice and gave him the bag, he was the one that ended up shitting the bed.

I honestly forgot about that. But now that you brought it up... yeah that just stinks even more.

Like others have mentioned. The team's success and window to contend for the cup highly hinges on Petey's performance. Canucks might not even be a playoff team if Petey's just mediocre.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I’ve said it many time but he did not want to talk about his contract and then all the media, pundits, fans and management turned the heat up on it. He signed it and has never been the same.

I still don’t think he wants to be in Vancouver.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I can tell you one thing: fans acting like you are right now have never done anything to improve the team they cheer for.

Washington Capitals
St Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Tampa Bay Lightning
Colorado Avalanche
Vegas Golden Knights
Florida Panthers

Somehow all those teams don't have batshit crazy fans and yet they still won!

I think fan criticism can be useful to get rid of bad management, though we've also seen it get rid of good management so it's obviously a mixed bag. But no, your criticism of Pettersson is assuredly not going to make the Canucks a better team.
The Canucks failure to win the cup is not a result of Ernie, MS and Peter Griffin criticizing the players on a fan message board. It’s not as if people are showing up to Rogers Arena with a dummy that looks like Pettersson with a noose around his neck or something.

Personally, I think Pettersson’s biggest issue is between his ears.

Reactions: Hodgy and Jay26

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
This last game wasn't terrible, which is reassuring.

The fact that Pettersson not looking like hot garbage is now the new barometer.. well that's not so reassuring.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
He’s like Russell Wilson after he signed that big contract in Denver

That's not accurate though. He was already spiraling downwards a few months before the contract was signed. People were hoping due to potential contract distraction being an issue, that once he signed, the weight was off his shoulder. But nope, it made no difference.

Reactions: DFAC

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One phone caller on the post-game show asked a rhetorical question, but bears repeating.

Would you rather have Pettersson at $11.6m or Zadorov and Lindholm for a combined $12.7m?

If the 'Canes were serious about acquiring Pettersson before his big contract signing; and were offering up Necas and other assets, including maybe some picks, should Allvin have pulled the trigger?

Beginning to think it might end up being his biggest mistake.....almost 'Benningesque'.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Yeah, I get that Pettersson has rubbed people the wrong way in the past with his personality but to suggest this intensely competitive player has suddenly taken his $100m and decided to stop playing is deranged.

If I had to guess anything, he's piling up way too much pressure on himself and forcing plays to try to get his mojo back. But that's just speculation, because I have no bloody clue what's going on with this player. If that's the case, though, Canucks fans are just making it worse by turning the volume up this high.

I mentioned in the previous post that this market may not be the best place for Pettersson. It's ridiculous - people will in one breath complain about the market and in the next breath behave like the worst of the people they are complaining about.

Pull yourselves together and act like adults.
Oh brother... :rolleyes:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Actually thought he showed some life this game,
still a shadow of his former self but it's a good sign that he's not completely out of it after signing the big fat paycheque.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I’ve said it many time but he did not want to talk about his contract and then all the media, pundits, fans and management turned the heat up on it. He signed it and has never been the same.

I still don’t think he wants to be in Vancouver.

I agree, I think he wanted out but felt the pressure and signed anyways. He's been pouty and prone to long unproductive stretches ever since the bubble run when they didn't bring Toffoli back.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He has quickly turned into a complementary piece on a team rather than a guy that can drive a line.

He's been positionally solid so far. He can get in the right places offensively and does well to track back. The biggest issue is his total lack of skill and finishing.

His wrister is gone.
His ability to accurately hit the net on a one-timer is gone.
His ability to deke around players or distribute the puck under pressure is gone.
He is no longer a threat as a shooter on the powerplay.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
He has quickly turned into a complementary piece on a team rather than a guy that can drive a line.

He's been positionally solid so far. He can get in the right places offensively and does well to track back. The biggest issue is his total lack of skill and finishing.

His wrister is gone.
His ability to accurately hit the net on a one-timer is gone.
His ability to deke around players or distribute the puck under pressure is gone.
He is no longer a threat as a shooter on the powerplay.
I remember when he was quite literally our triggerman on the PP.

Teams were scared of his one timer.

Now he's the 4th most important player on out PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad