Dreger: Elias Pettersson + Quinn Hughes | PART 2 : Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It just seems weird to me that they haven't closed at a slight higher AAV than Dahlin @ like 6.15 and left the the other $10 million to negotiate with pettersson
Same agent, both will be signed/announced together

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Never thought Hughes was the issue, it's obvious EP is the one holding up the deals. The kid is one of the best in the game but had a really down year due to injury

Could be a difference of philosophy as well.

EP probably wants to bet on himself and rightfully so. He is coming of an injury year and the cap is flat.
Brisson is probably pushing for a bridge deal with EP as they know EP will be waaay more valuable in 3 years when they have to re-negotiate.

Canucks also know this and are trying to lock EP to a long term deal that will benefit the club in the future.

Bridge vs Long term is how i see this.

EP wants bridge vs Canucks want long term.

It will come down to who wants to budge and compramise.

If its bridge then Canucks want a below marketAAV
if its long term then EP wants above market AAV

Reactions: flying v 604

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Agreed. Good players who want great player money. Disappointing.
Canucks pay garbage players like Myers and Louie huge AAVs and now you don’t want to pay market for Canuck drafted good players? That’s so Benning.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks pay garbage players like Myers and Louie huge AAVs and now you don’t want to pay Canuck drafted good players? That’s so Benning.

who says they dont want to pay them?

did they put them on the trade block?

or not negotiate at all ala Garland with Arizona?

Negotiating doesnt mean they dont want to pay.

Benning has had no issues paying his stud Canuck drafted players : Boeser Horvat

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So pay market.

and they will

These are the 2 cornerstone players of the team. Both sides have comparable and leverages.

These take time.

Were talking about 60+ million possibly for Pettersson and 50+ million possibly for Hughes

As bad as a contract as Myers and Loui are those were 30 million/36 million contracts.

Friday is deadline for Hamonic to opt out at which point Canucks will get 3mil more AAV and 6mil total.

I'd imagine something gets figured out contract with with Hughes and Pettersson shortly after that.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
EP's elc goals/assists per game are closer to the Rantanen/Aho/Marner tier of player.

If VAN has to pay 9mil, you do it but figured that'd be max on a 5-6 yr deal.
Barkov may get 10-11mil x 7-8yrs and he's a tier above EP now.
Barkov just turned 26, EP is 23 in November.

Don't think he accepts a 7 or 8yr deal, so he cash in again around 30yrs old.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I’m honestly stunned that neither has been signed yet. Teams are already finishing their 3rd preseason game.

I feel like we’ve been hearing from Canucks fans that “both will be signed this week” for the past 2 months, but it’s definitely a blunder by Benning to let this drag on this long. If you’re negotiating this long you should be looking at 8 year deals.

What if Hughes/Pettersson have a slow start to the season since they havent had the same prep as the other 99% of the league?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I’m honestly stunned that neither has been signed yet. Teams are already finishing their 3rd preseason game.

I feel like we’ve been hearing from Canucks fans that “both will be signed this week” for the past 2 months, but it’s definitely a blunder by Benning to let this drag on this long. If you’re negotiating this long you should be looking at 8 year deals.

What if Hughes/Pettersson have a slow start to the season since they havent had the same prep as the other 99% of the league?

They've already offered Pettersson a 3 yr deal somewhere between 7-9 Million.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So pay market.

Who even knows what's happening behind closed doors though. Maybe Canucks are offering very generous market comparable deals but their agent is pushing for more and trying to set a higher level of pay. These agents aren't stupid and will push the limits the best they can so their next clients next year and year after in this scenario can demand even more and more and more

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I bet they get it done soon.

Ratnanen signed his deal when the Avs were playing their final preseason game, then flew over from Finland and scored twice in the Avs first game of the season.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I bet they get it done soon.

Ratnanen signed his deal when the Avs were playing their final preseason game, then flew over from Finland and scored twice in the Avs first game of the season.

Wasn’t 19-20 a down season for Rantanen in terms of his standards? Always believe missing camp=poor season most of the time

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Wasn’t 19-20 a down season for Rantanen in terms of his standards? Always believe missing camp=poor season most of the time

It’s probably not a good thing, but any kind of issues Rantanen had that year were injury related. He looked awesome to start the season. I think he had 12 points in 9 games before he got hurt.

Maybe he was more likely to get injured because he missed camp, but hard to say.

Reactions: canuckking1

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
So pay market.
Who says they won't? This is a very unique situation since the agent has to make sure both clients are represented fairly and the whole Hamonic thing adds another wrinkle.
Petey with a slight bump on the Makar deal and Quinn with either the Dahlin deal or Chabot deal makes the most sense to me. I don't think Quinn will be as solid defensively as Cale but he is a year younger and quite possibly could end up getting more points but less goals. So if Cale got 9×6, Quinn at 8×8 would be a good deal at a million less with two extra ufa year's and if he takes a big step on the Dside it could be an absolute steal

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This particular agent has a history for these long dragged out signing periods

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

I don't see it as a blunder when a GM doesn't cave to an agent, what's the alternative pull a Guerin and overpay?
Beginning has negotiated very well internally, Horvat, Tanev, Garland, Brock, Demko, all on good to very good deals. I'm not saying to be chincy with them but if they want a higher aav then they need to give some term and if they want to bridge and bank on themselves they need to lower their expectations on term.
We saw Dubas cave on both fronts and the pickle it's put them in without even getting many UFA years.
Even a million less each will cover the raise Brock will get next year.
As for Benning and UFA signings context matters. First all GMs overpay in July no GM is immune from that, it should also be noted that when most of the more divisive contracts were signed Vancouver sucked and that always adds a premium. I actually think he did quite well this summer with Halak, Sutter, Tucker and Hamonic.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
It seems absurd to me that NHL teams should have to fight so hard to keep assets like Pettersson in their system so early. Not that I'm on the side of the billionaire owners, %$#@ em, but us fans deserve a little consistency in our rosters, especially when the scouts pan gold.

I'm a union guy all the way, but the NHL union is perversion of that - they should be making sure non-bonus babies get a decent living, not pandering to agents and superstars to assure them nauseating amounts of dough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad