Dreger: Elias Pettersson + Quinn Hughes | PART 2 : Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
It's hard to ask two of your most important players to even take reasonable deals when you've been egregiously overpaying useless players for the duration of their ELC's...

With the situation that team/Benning is in, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that both players are pushing hard to become UFA's asap.

Reactions: 95snipes

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I wouldn't want to go to training camp either.

Bridge deals? 3x7.5 for Petterson? Seems fair money wise

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I’m honestly stunned that neither has been signed yet. Teams are already finishing their 3rd preseason game.

I feel like we’ve been hearing from Canucks fans that “both will be signed this week” for the past 2 months, but it’s definitely a blunder by Benning to let this drag on this long. If you’re negotiating this long you should be looking at 8 year deals.

What if Hughes/Pettersson have a slow start to the season since they havent had the same prep as the other 99% of the league?

Pretty sure they have the same agent so i think that Vancouver are looking to have both of them locked up before announcing anything. It also helps not to blow much of your cap on pluggs before signing two of your five key players.

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Hughes is the best Canucks d man they’ve ever had… in his 2nd year… any misfit saying he’s overrated should go back to clown college….
The best offensive defenceman for sure but he can't defend to save his life. He played sheltered minutes last year and he still got destroyed on defence. He was lucky Demko was an wall in march making 40+saves per game, else he would have been -40. You don't pay premium for a guy who needs a babysitter in his own end. He is a more productive Barrie. Petey is the one deserving the big bucks. He is a complete player.

Maybe you should stop playing NHL 2K and come back to the real world or take your own advice.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Who says they won't? This is a very unique situation since the agent has to make sure both clients are represented fairly and the whole Hamonic thing adds another wrinkle.
Petey with a slight bump on the Makar deal and Quinn with either the Dahlin deal or Chabot deal makes the most sense to me. I don't think Quinn will be as solid defensively as Cale but he is a year younger and quite possibly could end up getting more points but less goals. So if Cale got 9×6, Quinn at 8×8 would be a good deal at a million less with two extra ufa year's and if he takes a big step on the Dside it could be an absolute steal
You’re getting greedy on Quinn. That’s a bad deal for him. He’d be smarter to sign $8mm x 6. Or drop the AAV to something like $6.33mm and go 3 years.

An 8 year deal would have to hit a higher AAV than Miro since Miro plays in a no tax state. So think $9mm x 8 years.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Bo Horvat is the better player right now

Pettersson can be great and his talent is top tier - but let's get to taking faceoffs effectively first

“Tell me you don’t watch the Canucks without telling me you dont watch the Canucks.”

That’s how it goes right?

It’s really not close, though.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If you're not Scared at this point, you're not paying attention.

One or both of these players is sitting right until December.

Mark it on your Calendars.

They are out for Blood and are Sharks swimming in the water.

And guess What?

Vancouver will still make the Playoffs.

So put that in your pipe for a 2 cents extravaganza.

brand new account. first post. gratuitous use of capitalization. reddit spacing.

i don't see the sharks getting involved in this situation tbh. wilson has enough on his plate.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
7.25m for EP x 3 years 9.25m QO
6.5m for QH x 3 years 8.75m QO

They don't like those offers, let them sit and make $0... Players have too much greed and power with these super A hole agents! Elias says we wants to play on a winning team, well don't ask for the moon pal...you played 25 games last year show your healthy and can stay healthy on a more than fair bridge deal first.

Canucks can't start doing Toronto type contracts they need to do bridge deals like Tampa...THEN if you still playing great that is WHEN you get rewarded with a big fat long term payday!

Reactions: notsocommonsense

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Pettersson can be great and his talent is top tier - but let's get to taking faceoffs effectively first

Horvat is nowhere near the player Pettersson is.

Pettersson is elite off the rush, on the PP and in his own end. Very high IQ player that our fans have been making comparisons to Datsyuk since he arrived.

Who the hell cares about faceoffs when we are talking +/-5%...it's basically negligible. And when Pettersson is at the peak of his career he will be relied on to defend that 1 goal lead with a minute left in the playoffs.

Reactions: grapes55

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
just my opinion of course, maybe i put more stock into some things than others in a player

i believe pettersson will grow into a top tier offensive center but he really does have a lot of work to do in some areas of the game. pettersson has all the ability to become twice the player horvat is that is no doubt, and his abilities and the datsyuk comparisons are there and i've made them myself

just popped into my head, but what are some thoughts on could Horvat shut Pettersson down if playing against each other.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
just my opinion of course, maybe i put more stock into some things than others in a player

i believe pettersson will grow into a top tier offensive center but he really does have a lot of work to do in some areas of the game. pettersson has all the ability to become twice the player horvat is that is no doubt, and his abilities and the datsyuk comparisons are there and i've made them myself

just popped into my head, but what are some thoughts on could Horvat shut Pettersson down if playing against each other.
Horvats defensive game is overrated. Its okay, but needs a lotta work. Pettersson is pretty responsible defensively but is not really used in an elite offensive and defensive role like say someone like Bergeron. Is primarily used as an offensive guy which he is. He has not lived up to the hype the last two seasons but most of us Canucks fans feel he will brake out each season. Again i feel it will be this year but will not be suprised if it doesnt happen

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
What are you even talking about ? Bo Horvat’s defensive game is overrated because he’s too slow. Petey, in his first season played a better all round game than Horvat . It isn’t even close

Horvat better than Petey is something no one said ever if they actually watch them play . Horvat won’t shut down Petey

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Horvats defensive game is overrated. Its okay, but needs a lotta work. Pettersson is pretty responsible defensively but is not really used in an elite offensive and defensive role like say someone like Bergeron. Is primarily used as an offensive guy which he is. He has not lived up to the hype the last two seasons but most of us Canucks fans feel he will brake out each season. Again i feel it will be this year but will not be suprised if it doesnt happen

Last season he was injured but the season before that he absolutely lived up to the hype.

He was healthy and productive the entire season, and showed up big in the playoffs. He went from tied for 59th in the league in scoring in 18-19 to tied for 20th in the league in scoring in 19-20. Don't know what else you could have wanted out of him.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hughes is the best Canucks d man they’ve ever had… in his 2nd year… any misfit saying he’s overrated should go back to clown college….

He's a D man who can't play D. Nobody is denying or questioning his offensive talent. The issue has always been how bad he is at defense, but so many Canucks fans get aggressive about it when it's brought up. The offensive skills are great, but he's almost always out of position, losing puck battles, soft, can't hit or even stick check well. The good news is these are all things that can be improved. Offensively he's an A+, defensively a D. Until he rounds out that part of his game, he can't be considered a great D-man. Great D-men are able to defend at a very high level. If the Leafs put a rookie Marner on RD instead of the wing, they'd have their own Quinn Hughes.

If Hughes improves on that part of his game, he's going to be an absolute monster and a perennial Norris candidate, but there's a lot of work to be done on his defensive game.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Horvat isn’t as good defensively as his reputation.

Petey hasn’t gotten the tough matchup minutes Horvat has, but he’s got better defensive instincts and ability than Horvat.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Last season he was injured but the season before that he absolutely lived up to the hype.

He was healthy and productive the entire season, and showed up big in the playoffs. He went from tied for 59th in the league in scoring in 18-19 to tied for 20th in the league in scoring in 19-20. Don't know what else you could have wanted out of him.
True when it mattered he came thru in the playoffs two years ago. I concede that. I was thinking of his regular season the last two years, but like you mentioned he was a big star for us in those covid playoffs

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Faceoffs might be the only thing Horvat does better than EP40.

EP40 is the better skater, shooter, playmaker, difference-maker, and his defensive game is very -under rated.

Having said that, Horvat is a very important player on the team. During the Canucks playoff run a couple of season ago, Horvat was by far the best Canuck, aside from Bubble Demko.

However, there is no way anyone who watched the Canucks on a regular basis can say Horvat is the better or more valuable player.

Horvat's next contract in a couple will probably be in 7-8 mil range long term.

That's what Petey is looking at for a bridge deal right now.

That alone should tell you value.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Horvat isnt even the best defensive forward on the team.

JT Miller is a better defensive forward that Horvat.

You might even have a better argument if you used Miller rather than Horvat when comparing their value to Pettersson.

Part of the reason they have Miller playing Centre this year is because they dont want Horvat taking on hard matches anymore.

If Horvat and Miller were the same age, Id tell you that Miller is more valuable to the Canucks than Horvat is moving forward.

Horvat's age and leadership sets him apart from Miller though as both bring pretty similar skill set to the team

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He's a D man who can't play D. Nobody is denying or questioning his offensive talent. The issue has always been how bad he is at defense, but so many Canucks fans get aggressive about it when it's brought up. The offensive skills are great, but he's almost always out of position, losing puck battles, soft, can't hit or even stick check well. The good news is these are all things that can be improved. Offensively he's an A+, defensively a D. Until he rounds out that part of his game, he can't be considered a great D-man. Great D-men are able to defend at a very high level. If the Leafs put a rookie Marner on RD instead of the wing, they'd have their own Quinn Hughes.

If Hughes improves on that part of his game, he's going to be an absolute monster and a perennial Norris candidate, but there's a lot of work to be done on his defensive game.

a Dman who cant play D?

serious question, what are you basing this on? Last years Covid year?

His first full rookie season he was fine defensively and in the playoffs he was awesome. Hughes was playing 20+ minutes a night and was never considered a liability or had to be benched against heavy teams like Minny, St Louis and Vegas.

for comparison,

In you opinion can Dahlin play Defence?

Dahlin is a career -56

Yet for some weird reason, I dont hear the same narrative with Dahlin that he cant play defence.

I think the lack of defence for Hughes has been great exaggerated especially considering he hasnt had a consistent D partner for more than 1 season at a time.

Is he going to ever be a defensive horse, no,

but you live with it because what he gives you when he has the puck on his stick is at an elite elite level.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
a Dman who cant play D?

serious question, what are you basing this on? Last years Covid year?

His first full rookie season he was fine defensively and in the playoffs he was awesome. Hughes was playing 20+ minutes a night and was never considered a liability or had to be benched against heavy teams like Minny, St Louis and Vegas.

for comparison,

In you opinion can Dahlin play Defence?

Dahlin is a career -56

Yet for some weird reason, I dont hear the same narrative with Dahlin that he cant play defence.

I think the lack of defence for Hughes has been great exaggerated especially considering he hasnt had a consistent D partner for more than 1 season at a time.

Is he going to ever be a defensive horse, no,

but you live with it because what he gives you when he has the puck on his stick is at an elite elite level.
Horrible Sabres team contributes to inflated (deflated?) plus minus numbers. Hughes is worse at D than Dahlin, but neither are very good at it right now

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad