Value of: Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin at the draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hanifin could probably be had if Kylington ever comes back. The UFA crop for dmen is pretty thin this offseason so it would take a substantial offer to get him. He's on a great deal for another season, puts up decent production, quality shot suppressor, and is really durable.

The Flames have a ton of money tied up in aging players, they need to replenish the young cheap talent cupboards if they want to be competitive in the next 4-5 years. Trading Hanifin could be a good way to do just that.

Mid 1st in 2023 and a top prospect I don't think at all is asking too much.

Ledge And Dairy

Hanifin could probably be had if Kylington ever comes back. The UFA crop for dmen is pretty thin this offseason so it would take a substantial offer to get him. He's on a great deal for another season, puts up decent production, quality shot suppressor, and is really durable.

The Flames have a ton of money tied up in aging players, they need to replenish the young cheap talent cupboards if they want to be competitive in the next 4-5 years. Trading Hanifin could be a good way to do just that.

Mid 1st in 2023 and a top prospect I don't think at all is asking too much.
Disagree completely on Hanifin being available even if Kylington comes back. I like Kylington but there isn't a world where I would trust him to man a d pairing in the top 4. Hanifin however I would have full confidence in to carry a pairing.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Disagree completely on Hanifin being available even if Kylington comes back. I like Kylington but there isn't a world where I would trust him to man a d pairing in the top 4. Hanifin however I would have full confidence in to carry a pairing.

Kylington-Tanev was statistically one of the top pairings in the NHL last season before Oliver's head injury. At some point this team has to believe in its drafting. He's younger and cheaper than Hanifin, the Flames have Weegar(6.25), Zadorov(3.75), Kylington(2.5), Tanev(4.5), Andersson(4.55), and Hanifin(4.95) all under contract for next season. Kylington would be under utilized on a bottom pairing.

It's a position of strength that can be used in a trade to shore up other areas. Not to mention Hanifin is yet another American that might not want to commit long term in Calgary. He is definitely in my mind the most tradeable asset the Flames have.

Ledge And Dairy

Kylington-Tanev was statistically one of the top pairings in the NHL last season before Oliver's head injury. At some point this team has to believe in its drafting. He's younger and cheaper than Hanifin, the Flames have Weegar(6.25), Zadorov(3.75), Kylington(2.5), Tanev(4.5), Andersson(4.55), and Hanifin(4.95) all under contract for next season. Kylington would be under utilized on a bottom pairing.

It's a position of strength that can be used in a trade to shore up other areas. Not to mention Hanifin is yet another American that might not want to commit long term in Calgary. He is definitely in my mind the most tradeable asset the Flames have.
Yes it was, even after the injury. However Kylington when Tanev got hurt was one of the worst pairing in the playoffs last year. Everyone and their mom knows that Tanev can stabilize and mentor his D partner. However Kylington proved he couldn't stabilize the pairing without Tanev.

Also Kylington and Hanifin are literally 3.5 months apart in age. Calling him younger is a joke. They are all under contract next season and he would not be under utilized playing on the 3rd pair. For example, Nikita Zadorov (Flames technical 3rd pair defenseman) has averaged 16:21 at EV this year. That is only 30 seconds less than Kylington last year. Give Kylington PP2 times and he will average close to 18 minutes a game. Doing that does; 1. takes pressure off the top 2 pairings to carry the work load, 2. helps control Tanev's minutes to avoid further injuries, 3. provides 3 relatively balanced d-pairings that prevent us from being exposed by extremely offense oriented teams.

There is zero proof at all that Hanifin is not willing to sign a long term deal with the flames and should not be considered available until the offseason when the team and player can sit down for negotiations. In the situation where an extension can't be met in offseason negotiations then they should certainly entertain the idea of trading him but that will be well after the draft. Otherwise he should be priority #2 to extend this offseason only behind Lindholm

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As usual you underrate Kylington. He's a top 4 defenseman all day long. His pace and ability to be a one man breakout is elite. I don't want to trade Hanifin either if he will sign a reasonable extension.

Yes it was, even after the injury. However Kylington when Tanev got hurt was one of the worst pairing in the playoffs last year. Everyone and their mom knows that Tanev can stabilize and mentor his D partner. However Kylington proved he couldn't stabilize the pairing without Tanev.

Also Kylington and Hanifin are literally 3.5 months apart in age. Calling him younger is a joke. They are all under contract next season and he would not be under utilized playing on the 3rd pair. For example, Nikita Zadorov (Flames technical 3rd pair defenseman) has averaged 16:21 at EV this year. That is only 30 seconds less than Kylington last year. Give Kylington PP2 times and he will average close to 18 minutes a game. Doing that does; 1. takes pressure off the top 2 pairings to carry the work load, 2. helps control Tanev's minutes to avoid further injuries, 3. provides 3 relatively balanced d-pairings that prevent us from being exposed by extremely offense oriented teams.

There is zero proof at all that Hanifin is not willing to sign a long term deal with the flames and should not be considered available until the offseason when the team and player can sit down for negotiations. In the situation where an extension can't be met in offseason negotiations then they should certainly entertain the idea of trading him but that will be well after the draft. Otherwise he should be priority #2 to extend this offseason only behind Lindholm
Hanifin and Ras were even worse than Kylington. We throwing them out too because of 5 bad games? Kylington was good without Tanev in the regular season. I think the biggest issue with that series was failing to hard match Backlund with McDavid.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kylington was on the ice for 11GF(team best btw) and 6GA at 5v5 in the playoffs last year. Hanifin was on the ice for 3GF and 14GA despite not lugging around Michael Stone for most of it. One guy 'proved' he wasn't able to stabilize a pairing in that time and it wasn't Kylington.

Also Kylington and Hanifin are literally 3.5 months apart in age. Calling him younger is a joke.

Mmm, no that would make it a fact. Maybe you're confusing the two concepts.

They are all under contract next season and he would not be under utilized playing on the 3rd pair. For example, Nikita Zadorov (Flames technical 3rd pair defenseman) has averaged 16:21 at EV this year. That is only 30 seconds less than Kylington last year. Give Kylington PP2 times and he will average close to 18 minutes a game. Doing that does; 1. takes pressure off the top 2 pairings to carry the work load, 2. helps control Tanev's minutes to avoid further injuries, 3. provides 3 relatively balanced d-pairings that prevent us from being exposed by extremely offense oriented teams.

I'd honestly be fine with all that too. Like I said, a lot depends on if OK is coming back next year. But I'd rather trade Hanifin for something worthwhile while his value is at its highest than sign a big extension and watch yet another Bennett/Monahan situation playout. The team isn't very good even with these guys on good value deals, bottom line it's obvious that they need more good young talent to compete. Trading Hanifin is the best way to get our scouts some more ammo.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Swayman for Hanfin
Flames have Wolf coming in net. They have almost no D prospects. They also have Gilbert Stone and Stetcher playing pretty big minutes.

Makes no sense to trade Hanifin unless they burn it to the ground or get a top line RW in return. And that isn’t going to happen I don’t think.

fansixty9

Apr 6, 2023
Flames have Wolf coming in net. They have almost no D prospects. They also have Gilbert Stone and Stetcher playing pretty big minutes.

Makes no sense to trade Hanifin unless they burn it to the ground or get a top line RW in return. And that isn’t going to happen I don’t think.

Ledge And Dairy

As usual you underrate Kylington. He's a top 4 defenseman all day long. His pace and ability to be a one man breakout is elite. I don't want to trade Hanifin either if he will sign a reasonable extension.

Hanifin and Ras were even worse than Kylington. We throwing them out too because of 5 bad games? Kylington was good without Tanev in the regular season. I think the biggest issue with that series was failing to hard match Backlund with McDavid.
I never said he wasn't a top 4 defenseman. But unlike the aforementioned Hanifin, Kylington simply isn't nearly as defensively reliable. I like Kylington and I think we greatly missed his offense this year but I just cant imagine success 2 years from now if Tanev retires and our 2nd pairing relying on him to do the heavy lifting in our own end.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I never said he wasn't a top 4 defenseman. But unlike the aforementioned Hanifin, Kylington simply isn't nearly as defensively reliable. I like Kylington and I think we greatly missed his offense this year but I just cant imagine success 2 years from now if Tanev retires and our 2nd pairing relying on him to do the heavy lifting in our own end.
You said there isn't a world where you'd trust Kylington to man a top 4 pair. That's essentially saying he isn't a top 4 defenseman. Kylington was better than Hanifin BY MILES in the playoffs. I'm actually someone who likes Hanifin too. Kylington is a bit like Brodie. He gets beat sometimes, but his zone exits are so elite you barely defend when he's on the ice. Hanifin gets beat slightly less often and his zone exits are slightly worse. They are actually very similar value players with a slight edge to Hanifin.

We both know your post history on Kylington. You've been dead wrong about him the entire time. I was wrong about Toffoli. It happens. Being stubborn just makes you look dumb.

Ledge And Dairy

You said there isn't a world where you'd trust Kylington to man a top 4 pair. That's essentially saying he isn't a top 4 defenseman. Kylington was better than Hanifin BY MILES in the playoffs. I'm actually someone who likes Hanifin too. Kylington is a bit like Brodie. He gets beat sometimes, but his zone exits are so elite you barely defend when he's on the ice. Hanifin gets beat slightly less often and his zone exits are slightly worse. They are actually very similar value players with a slight edge to Hanifin.

We both know your post history on Kylington. You've been dead wrong about him the entire time. I was wrong about Toffoli. It happens. Being stubborn just makes you look dumb.
No thats not what I said at all. I have no issue with his offensive or transition game but he does not have a strong defensive game. It's not brutal like Hughes or similar but he's not a player I would turn to for killing penalties except in dire straits. His speed often makes up for a lot of his lapses but that does not help nearly as much in his own zone.

I also still don't think my original valuations of him were wrong. Prior to last year his lower body strength and balance were not good, it was like Mangiapane but the last man back. If you ever looked at his instagram story during the covid off period it's clear he did a lot of lower body and balance training and I admire that he acknowledged his flaws and worked to address them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad