Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Well, you can, I just don't know what triggers it

Whoa. Sorry. I just read my last post. I did a really bad job of explaining it.

A well timed parry with a shield will get you a riposte attack for huge damage.

You can also do a shit ton of damage in a short period of time, break their poise, and also get a riposte.

It just happens less than if your good at parrying with a shield. Its a nice reward for being aggressive though.

I'm pretty good at parries in Bloodborne, but I'm ass at it in Souls.

I hope I explained it better this time.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
I originally read that Fromsoft said you could finish it in 30?? I was like 7 hours in having not progressed at all and I was like no way bro.

36 hours in and I have only killed one major boss. I've uncovered areas where I think some of them are, but I just can't stop exploring...

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
36 hours in and I have only killed one major boss. I've uncovered areas where I think some of them are, but I just can't stop exploring...
Wow! Nice. Yeah I've just been wandering, soaking it all in, leveling up. Finally took on and beat a couple of minor bosses in optional dungeons

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Whoa. Sorry. I just read my last post. I did a really bad job of explaining it.

A well timed parry with a shield will get you a riposte attack for huge damage.

You can also do a shit ton of damage in a short period of time, break their poise, and also get a riposte.

It just happens less than if your good at parrying with a shield. Its a nice reward for being aggressive though.

I'm pretty good at parries in Bloodborne, but I'm ass at it in Souls.

I hope I explained it better this time.
No, you're good. I got you.

I just meant you can do it for the first enemy I mentioned. I definitely wasn't using a parry on it and I couldn't have built up much poise damage. It was like the wolf summons and one jumping attack and it was stunned. And repeated again when he got back up. It was weird. Maybe the game just felt sorry for me and said "We've gotta give him a win here." :laugh:

I was OK at the parries in Bloodborne and you had to be good at it in Sekiro, but I'm having a real hard time with them in Elden Ring. I never played the Souls games, so it's all new to me. I think the slower input is throwing me off.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I was OK at the parries in Bloodborne and you had to be good at it in Sekiro, but I'm having a real hard time with them in Elden Ring. I never played the Souls games, so it's all new to me. I think the slower input is throwing me off.

Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat. I only played Dark Souls and stopped midway through NG+. I never learned to parry and I think you're right about the slower timing.

I played the hell out of Sekiro and Bloodborne though: )

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I started as a vagabond but have exclusively leveled up INT. So I'm a beefy mage with no FP.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
So it's not a review? Just snark. Did you see IGN's review of Madden where they copied and pasted their review of the previous Madden and thought "Hey i'll be unoriginal and edgy at the same time if i do what they did and the sarcastic internet community will love it"?
I'm making a point in which the beginning of the game is EXACTLY the same in both games. Why bother with other aspects when developers are so lazy that they copy and paste a game to another.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm making a point in which the beginning of the game is EXACTLY the same in both games. Why bother with other aspects when developers are so lazy that they copy and paste a game to another.
Maybe see it as a deconstruction of what they've done before. The beginning is like a parody of Souls games almost. This is a Souls game with some of the spirit of Botw. It's not lazy. understand the amount of labor that goes into these games. From has added to and evolved their games with each one.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
No, you're good. I got you.

I just meant you can do it for the first enemy I mentioned. I definitely wasn't using a parry on it and I couldn't have built up much poise damage. It was like the wolf summons and one jumping attack and it was stunned. And repeated again when he got back up. It was weird. Maybe the game just felt sorry for me and said "We've gotta give him a win here." :laugh:

Go try to crucible Knight. Change to a smaller shield for a longer parry window. It took a bit of time, but I ended up demolishing him with parries and now I think I got the mechanic down. He's great practice, but you have to be patient.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Maybe see it as a deconstruction of what they've done before. The beginning is like a parody of Souls games almost. This is a Souls game with some of the spirit of Botw. It's not lazy. understand the amount of labor that goes into these games. From has added to and evolved their games with each one.
This is the Dark Souls PS5 remake from this past year.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I gave in and got it...as someone who has never played a Souls game before...any advice before I start it later tonight?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I gave in and got it...as someone who has never played a Souls game before...any advice before I start it later tonight?

• Don't worry too much about what class you pick, there's no limitations once you start playing. Each class just gives you a head start in certain areas (or none if you pick the naked guy)
  • This might be pretty standard in other games now, but dodging gives you iframes. You don't actually have to avoid the attack, you just need to time the dodge correctly.
  • Proceed with caution in dungeons. These games aren't really about fighting dozens of enemies at once, you'll usually die. You want to fight them one or two at a time, stealth can help with this
  • In these games just about any weapon is viable since you can upgrade them. Find one that scales with your highest stats and has a move set that you like
  • Make sure you use the pouch on the right side of the pause menu, hold Y/Triangle to access it in-game
  • Enemies have a hidden poise meter, hit them quickly with a series devastating attacks (jump attacks, charged attacks, shield counters) and they will get staggered, letting you pull off a critical attack

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
  • Don't worry too much about what class you pick, there's no limitations once you start playing. Each class just gives you a head start in certain areas (or none if you pick the naked guy)
  • This might be pretty standard in other games now, but dodging gives you iframes. You don't actually have to avoid the attack, you just need to time the dodge correctly.
  • Proceed with caution in dungeons. These games aren't really about fighting dozens of enemies at once, you'll usually die. You want to fight them one or two at a time, stealth can help with this
  • In these games just about any weapon is viable since you can upgrade them. Find one that scales with your highest stats and has a move set that you like
  • Make sure you use the pouch on the right side of the pause menu, hold Y/Triangle to access it in-game
  • Enemies have a hidden poise meter, hit them quickly with a series devastating attacks (jump attacks, charged attacks, shield counters) and they will get staggered, letting you pull off a critical attack

Really helpful tips, thanks! Will definitely be keeping these in mind.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I'm going to be serious here, but "get good". It's really the only way you'll find enjoyment in these games. Explore, don't give up when you're beating, encourage yourself to learn what the game is trying to teach you (there are lessons all over the place). Everyone has the skill to beat these games, just not the patience or perseverance. If something seems too hard (outside of Margit), you probably need to level up, get better gear or learn the systems more.

Reactions: Kcb12345

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You've got a lot of good advice so far. I'd add, just know that we were all there once, too. Shit, I'm still there most of the time :laugh:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Go try to crucible Knight. Change to a smaller shield for a longer parry window. It took a bit of time, but I ended up demolishing him with parries and now I think I got the mechanic down. He's great practice, but you have to be patient.
Dude, you're either really good at these games, have a ton of patience, or I need to go level up quite a bit :laugh:

I tried him probably 15 times and didn't get more than 2 parries in a single attempt and it only took probably like 10% of his health. He'd take half my health with one hit and half the time I couldn't get away to heal. I did it with a medium shield, though. Haven't found any small ones yet.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Dude, you're either really good at these games, have a ton of patience, or I need to go level up quite a bit :laugh:

I tried him probably 15 times and didn't get more than 2 parries in a single attempt and it only took probably like 10% of his health. He'd take half my health with one hit and half the time I couldn't get away to heal. I did it with a medium shield, though. Haven't found any small ones yet.

It's patience, perseverance and study :laugh:.

The shield I used was the scripture wooden shield, it's a small shield. Worked very well. I don't remember where I got it from though. Once you "get" the parry window, you'll destroy him. I wouldn't kill him just yet either, he's really good practice.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's patience, perseverance and study :laugh:.

The shield I used was the scripture wooden shield, it's a small shield. Worked very well. I don't remember where I got it from though. Once you "get" the parry window, you'll destroy him. I wouldn't kill him just yet either, he's really good practice.
Bring back the guy who can't die but will train with you from Sekiro!

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

When you die do everything you can to pick up your dropped runes. In fact in the first few hours having a plan for each of your runes is probably the play.

No menu pause, it’ll get you once or twice. If you have to pause because you ordered a pizza or whatever get to a lost grace, rest and then pause. If you can’t, see the previous paragraph.

Whatever build you pick don’t neglect Vigor. The reason you hit like a tank and have wicked magic but still get two-hit by Margit is because you didn’t put any stats into Vigor.

I personally have two stats I’m primarily working on and two secondary stats, as well as HP and FP. For every three points I put into Strength and Faith, I put two each into Endurance and Dexterity and 1.5 each into Vigor and Mind. My guy is gonna be a wicked magic knight/tank/heavy hitter who if he can’t smoke you with his sword/halberd can step back and cheese you with incantations, it’s gonna be rad.

That’s another good one - pick a path instead of evenly dispersing stats between all attributes; evenly spreading your stats is how you get the Travis Dermott of characters (or whichever player on your team is plainly and painfully mediocre); ok at everything but truly good at nothing.

12ish hours in, I got it every which way left and right for the first maybe 5 hours, and almost any enemy can become a problem if I’m not careful, but a little grind here, a lot of exploration there and it’s starting to come together.

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net

Vaati put up a great primer if you've never played. I've been ignoring guard counters the entire time.

Mild spoiler - he uses footage from the first mandatory boss, so you might just want to listen if you haven't gotten there yet.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For any other idiots out there who put things in their inventory without taking the time to understand what they are, if you let the lady in the roundtable area hold you, she gives you a (something) Blessing. If this is in your inventory, it acts as a HP de-buff. Just use it and it gets rid of it. Could be part of the reason I was having such a hard time with Margit :laugh:

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad