Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The open world, sure. But the the combat and RPG stuff is mostly just the other Soulsborne games combined into one game.
My bad must've been a miscommunication. This is my first soul's game, the combat is definitely not inspired by BOTW. Elden Ring is a nightmare version of BOTW without any Nintendo kid friendly stuff and everything in the world wants to violently murder you. That opening scene in Limgrave is cute and all but then you immediately realize you're a tiny mouse in a world full of monsters and you're going to spend a lot of time getting destroyed :laugh:

Reactions: pistolpete11

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I don't see the Breath of the Wild comparison. They're both open world games and that's where the similarities end
The game pretty much invites comparisons with the opening being so similar to the opening of BotW, but when you make a "go anywhere" open-world, with no waypoints, quests that require you to memorize verbal directions to look for landmarks with no map markers, and that sort of thing you're going to be compared to breath of the wild. Sure games like morrowind have done this sort of thing before, but Elden Ring gave off major BotW vibes imo.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The game pretty much invites comparisons with the opening being so similar to the opening of BotW, but when you make a "go anywhere" open-world, with no waypoints, quests that require you to memorize verbal directions to look for landmarks with no map markers, and that sort of thing you're going to be compared to breath of the wild. Sure games like morrowind have done this sort of thing before, but Elden Ring gave off major BotW vibes imo.
Breath of the Wild does have map markers though? And even if it didn’t, the games still play completely differently. BOTW is a walking simulator while most of my time in Elden Ring so far has been spent either in dungeons or fighting bosses. Like I wouldn't call Fallout 2 similar to Elden Ring just because you can go wherever you want from the start in both games.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Breath of the Wild does have map markers though? And even if it didn’t, the games still play completely differently. BOTW is a walking simulator while most of my time in Elden Ring so far has been spent either in dungeons or fighting bosses. Like I wouldn't call Fallout 2 similar to Elden Ring just because you can go wherever you want from the start in both games.
Breath of the Wild's combat is like a 1/10 in comparison and served to undermine a lot of the rest of that game for me. Engaging with the game mechanically is a waste of time; the combat isn't fun and the rewards are almost never meaningful. You break 2 uninteresting, replaceable weapons going through a moblin camp that you stumble onto and your reward is 2 more uninteresting, replaceable weapons and a red rupee or something.

They both have repetition throughout their open worlds but at least Elden Ring's is mechanically satisfying and always has an item at the end. And even if it's not something you'll use at least you're getting runes to make the numbers go up.

Also Elden Ring doesn't have any dungeons that require me to use tilt controls.
I don't want to go into a million and one analogies because we could literally argue for days about what comparison is fitting or not, but with the map markers in BotW, most of them, outside of the main ones, mark only where you got the quest or the quest givers location, they usually entail riddles or verbal directions that you need to follow.

I didn't like the dungeons in Elden ring as much as Zelda's shrines. I feel like From soft went "hey we don't have time to create all the cool shrines Zelda had, let's just slap a hundred chalice dungeons into the game". Even though the rewards weren't as good I liked the shrines a lot more.

Anyways, having put 100 hours into both I felt they had the same vibe

My top 3 open world games of all time: 1. Breath of the Wild 2. Witcher 3 3. Elden Ring

I want to do a second magic playthrough when I get a chance. I tried too recently but the shield enemies were a nightmare.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Stuck on the final boss but haven’t even been trying lately. Just waiting for my will to grind one last boss to come back.
Tip: The final boss does mostly holy damage. Get your holy absorption as high as possible and hell actually be quite easy

Also on the very small chance you're using a holy weapon, the boss takes like no holy damage.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Tip: The final boss does mostly holy damage. Get your holy absorption as high as possible and hell actually be quite easy

Also on the very small chance you're using a holy weapon, the boss takes like no holy damage.
That’s good to know since I was planning on maxing the Cipher Pata with a pure faith build.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I have PS+ but still play FromSoft games offline. Invasions are one thing. A million bloodstains and messages all over the place, most of which aren't helpful, funny, or in any way enhance the experience, is another. But the thing that really grinds my gears is when assholes put messages overtop of other things you need to interact with.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I have PS+ but still play FromSoft games offline. Invasions are one thing. A million bloodstains and messages all over the place, most of which aren't helpful, funny, or in any way enhance the experience, is another. But the thing that really grinds my gears is when assholes put messages overtop of other things you need to interact with.
I’m new to From as well and the messages are 70% useless. I wonder why putting messages over Grace sites hasn’t been patched out yet.

How’re you liking the game otherwise?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I’ve never been invaded. I invaded once just out of curiosity and some how invaded someone playing co-op with a friend. I got destroyed
Ive been invaded quite a few times, but yeah invasions are insanely rare compared to other souls games. You basically have to try to get invaded by a non-NPC. It will only happen like once you whole playthrough.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I play with my friend quite a bit and we get invaded basically every time we play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad