Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Is there a way to add more to your Equip Load so i'm not so heavy? I killed an NPC, got his Beast armor, but it's way too heavy. I roll too slow.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
My issue with the fire giant is that his eyeball doesn't take enough damage. Like it's a giant eyeball, why is it taking hardly any damage, all the laws of videogames state that a giant eyeball should be a massive weak point for projectiles but it's way more effective to just keep running at his feet and smacking him.

And it's actually genuinely cinematic to shoot arrows at his eye from horseback, but if you fight him like that it's objectively less effective that just running underneath him and smacking his stumps.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Is there a way to add more to your Equip Load so i'm not so heavy? I killed an NPC, got his Beast armor, but it's way too heavy. I roll too slow.

I use a talisman to wear heavy armour as a mage spec. It's pretty cool.

The talisman is called
Great-Jar Arsenal

Otherwise, more levels into Stamina, as stated above.

My issue with the fire giant is that his eyeball doesn't take enough damage. Like it's a giant eyeball, why is it taking hardly any damage, all the laws of videogames state that a giant eyeball should be a massive weak point for projectiles but it's way more effective to just keep running at his feet and smacking him.

And it's actually genuinely cinematic to shoot arrows at his eye from horseback, but if you fight him like that it's objectively less effective that just running underneath him and smacking his stumps.

Speaking of the fire giant, I just "beat" him last night with a weird glitch where in his second phase he just lost health for apparently no reason and died. Very strange.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I use a talisman to wear heavy armour as a mage spec. It's pretty cool.

The talisman is called
Great-Jar Arsenal

Otherwise, more levels into Stamina, as stated above.

Speaking of the fire giant, I just "beat" him last night with a weird glitch where in his second phase he just lost health for apparently no reason and died. Very strange.
Yes this is a known glitch that's part of the "bleed nerf". It's not really clear what's causing it, it happens to several bosses.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I knew there was something wrong with hyper armor. It's calculated based off your poise and sometimes actually reduces your poise because of how poorly designed the calculation is.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Basically if you want to avoid it happening dont use any weapons that build status effects like poison/bleed/frost, I know, dumb but that seems to be the main thing causing it.

That's unfortunate. I primarily run a staff and katanas on an Int build, so status effects are sort of my jam....

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Well I rolled credits tonight. What a journey.

I'm pretty sure I missed a bunch of optional content but maybe we'll do that if I ever go for a NG+ or if I feel like picking it back up in the near future. For now, I'm happy to let my Tarnished rest for a bit.

I have to say, I'm still in shock how much I enjoy this game as someone who was an adamant non-fan of the Souls games. The ability to go explore when frustrated and the more forgiving sites of grace keeping run back annoyance to a minimum did wonders for me personally.

A few things still need work (such as the targeting system) and I would still appreciate more insight into the story and lore than the snippets we get but I finally see what is very much enjoyable about this style of game.

Never thought I'd say it, but a From game is my front runner for GOTY 2022.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Well I rolled credits tonight. What a journey.

I'm pretty sure I missed a bunch of optional content but maybe we'll do that if I ever go for a NG+ or if I feel like picking it back up in the near future. For now, I'm happy to let my Tarnished rest for a bit.

I have to say, I'm still in shock how much I enjoy this game as someone who was an adamant non-fan of the Souls games. The ability to go explore when frustrated and the more forgiving sites of grace keeping run back annoyance to a minimum did wonders for me personally.

A few things still need work (such as the targeting system) and I would still appreciate more insight into the story and lore than the snippets we get but I finally see what is very much enjoyable about this style of game.

Never thought I'd say it, but a From game is my front runner for GOTY 2022.

When you say you weren't a fan, did you play the other Souls/From Software games?

I played a bit of Dark Souls II before getting frustrated fairly early and throwing in the towel and skipping all others before and since, though Elden Ring really intrigues me and I am tempted to give it a try

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
When you say you weren't a fan, did you play the other Souls/From Software games?

I played a bit of Dark Souls II before getting frustrated fairly early and throwing in the towel and skipping all others before and since, though Elden Ring really intrigues me and I am tempted to give it a try

Yes I played a little of 2 and around 8 or so hours of 3 and they definitely weren't my jam.

Elden Ring has a lot of similarities but, in my opinion, improves on a lot of things from approachability and flexibility of approach, at least until the late game.

A lot of the systems and some of the little issues I had there still exist, but I very much like this game and recommend it's worth a shot even if you didn't like the previous From games.

Maybe wait for a sale, just in case :laugh:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Yes I played a little of 2 and around 8 or so hours of 3 and they definitely weren't my jam.

Elden Ring has a lot of similarities but, in my opinion, improves on a lot of things from approachability and flexibility of approach, at least until the late game.

A lot of the systems and some of the little issues I had there still exist, but I very much like this game and recommend it's worth a shot even if you didn't like the previous From games.

Yeah I was thinking I'd wait for a price drop, at least if it doesn't pan out I won't be out 60 bucks

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
People who put messages right over Grace Sites should have their thumbs chopped off :laugh:

I've never played a Soul's game before beyond trying and quitting Dark Souls remastered 10 minutes in a few times. I thought these games were difficult for the sake of being difficult which is the opposite of fun for me as a gamer.

Well i'm a level 64 in Elden Ring now and i'm happy to be so wrong! I'm loving just about everything with this game and am glad i stuck through it. I've heard ER is more approachable than previous Soul's games with its open world influence so maybe that's a huge part of it but i've been hooked on this game for weeks now. Getting better at this game is really rewarding and as soon as i stopped trying to button mash my way through the gameplay the happier i've been. The game hasn't even been too unreasonably difficult now that i've learned to be patient and memorize enemy attack/movement patterns. It's hilarious now but i had to tip toe through Stormveil castle as a wee little level 20 something forever but now i can run through it and squash everyone like bugs while maybe using a 2-3 flask heals. The same with those tree giants. The first time i heard that thing roar and drop down from 300 ft up in the air I thought i'd need to change my shorts! Now i can go to Warmaster Shack and kill 5 of them in about 2 minutes.

Of the 5 big bosses i've still only beaten Margit, but have beat probably a dozen other bosses. I just beat that Wyrm Makar thing most recently. Playing by yourself is great. Being on my horse is a huge boost as well and as soon as i learned how to effectively attack on Torrent it's been a game changer. I beat that first dragon on my own as well.

I wish crafting was a little less ambiguous. I've got probably 10 cookbooks now and there's still 3/4 of my inventory that i don't know how to craft yet. It'd be nice if some things were explained a little more because i don't want to have to reference Elden Wiki as much as i have been. Sometimes it feels like cheating or robbing myself of the true experience. There's a certain lack of direction or detail in these games that i'm still getting used to. Other than that my only other issue/desire is that i'm spoiled from BOTW and would love a paraglider and/or the ability to climb mountains and such. Vertical mobility is a little wonky sometimes but wanting those mechanics may not be reasonable.

I love how Co-Op multiplayer works, the ability to help and explore with a buddy or two is amazing and the fact that they scale up boss health the more people you have with you is a nice balance. I haven't tried dueling yet other than fighting my friends or when i get invaded. I'm not sure if i'll get into that because i'm sure like a lot of online gaming there are Meta Builds and strategies that i don't care to learn or get into.

Loving this game though! It's filled that huge void left by Halo Infinite and NHL 22. It's apparent this game was made with a lot of TLC and with no microtransactions it's been just about everything i can ask for in a game. Job well done From.

Reactions: KapG

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
People who put messages right over Grace Sites should have their thumbs chopped off :laugh:

I've never played a Soul's game before beyond trying and quitting Dark Souls remastered 10 minutes in a few times. I thought these games were difficult for the sake of being difficult which is the opposite of fun for me as a gamer.

Well i'm a level 64 in Elden Ring now and i'm happy to be so wrong! I'm loving just about everything with this game and am glad i stuck through it. I've heard ER is more approachable than previous Soul's games with its open world influence so maybe that's a huge part of it but i've been hooked on this game for weeks now. Getting better at this game is really rewarding and as soon as i stopped trying to button mash my way through the gameplay the happier i've been. The game hasn't even been too unreasonably difficult now that i've learned to be patient and memorize enemy attack/movement patterns. It's hilarious now but i had to tip toe through Stormveil castle as a wee little level 20 something forever but now i can run through it and squash everyone like bugs while maybe using a 2-3 flask heals. The same with those tree giants. The first time i heard that thing roar and drop down from 300 ft up in the air I thought i'd need to change my shorts! Now i can go to Warmaster Shack and kill 5 of them in about 2 minutes.

Of the 5 big bosses i've still only beaten Margit, but have beat probably a dozen other bosses. I just beat that Wyrm Makar thing most recently. Playing by yourself is great. Being on my horse is a huge boost as well and as soon as i learned how to effectively attack on Torrent it's been a game changer. I beat that first dragon on my own as well.

I wish crafting was a little less ambiguous. I've got probably 10 cookbooks now and there's still 3/4 of my inventory that i don't know how to craft yet. It'd be nice if some things were explained a little more because i don't want to have to reference Elden Wiki as much as i have been. Sometimes it feels like cheating or robbing myself of the true experience. There's a certain lack of direction or detail in these games that i'm still getting used to. Other than that my only other issue/desire is that i'm spoiled from BOTW and would love a paraglider and/or the ability to climb mountains and such. Vertical mobility is a little wonky sometimes but wanting those mechanics may not be reasonable.

I love how Co-Op multiplayer works, the ability to help and explore with a buddy or two is amazing and the fact that they scale up boss health the more people you have with you is a nice balance. I haven't tried dueling yet other than fighting my friends or when i get invaded. I'm not sure if i'll get into that because i'm sure like a lot of online gaming there are Meta Builds and strategies that i don't care to learn or get into.

Loving this game though! It's filled that huge void left by Halo Infinite and NHL 22. It's apparent this game was made with a lot of TLC and with no microtransactions it's been just about everything i can ask for in a game. Job well done From.
Ive beat every souls game and love Elden Ring, I can honestly say Breath of the Wild is just way better.

Yeah the bosses hit very hard but I do advise those struggling in the late game to re-spec into faith and use the protection incantations. They make a big difference in not getting one-shotted and actually one specific defensive incantion causes the final boss to do like no damage to you (however you need to beat the hardest boss in the game to get it, lol).

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Ive beat every souls game and love Elden Ring, I can honestly say Breath of the Wild is just way better.

Yeah the bosses hit very hard but I do advise those struggling in the late game to re-spec into faith and use the protection incantations. They make a big difference in not getting one-shotted and actually one specific defensive incantion causes the final boss to do like no damage to you (however you need to beat the hardest boss in the game to get it, lol).
Man I feel completely opposite. I’m a huge fan of BOTW but after playing Elden Ring, I feel it’s not nearly as good. I love the lore, combat, exploration, dungeons, and darker tone of Elden Ring much more than BOTW. But to be fair, when I’m playing either one of these games, I’m never thinking about the other or comparing. I just find Elden Ring to be the most complete gaming experience I’ve had in years

Reactions: Beau Knows

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Man I feel completely opposite. I’m a huge fan of BOTW but after playing Elden Ring, I feel it’s not nearly as good. I love the lore, combat, exploration, dungeons, and darker tone of Elden Ring much more than BOTW. But to be fair, when I’m playing either one of these games, I’m never thinking about the other or comparing. I just find Elden Ring to be the most complete gaming experience I’ve had in years
How about when you walked onto the first step in limgrave, though, that was pretty much a breath of the wild shoutout.

I was constantly thinking of Breath of the Wild. Anyways, maybe I shouldn't say way better. Heres a few things I'll say.

- All the "go to this place but I'm not marking it on your map, you need to find it through landmarks, in game maps, and other clues" Breath of the Wild just did so much better. I think the world was just so much more polished and well realized in terms of building quests around landmarks and interesting areas.

- NPC questlines are impossible to complete without a guide in Elden Ring. Why, oh why did they not have a firelink shrine or some town for NPCs to gather. Millicent and Goldmasks/Corhyns quests are damn near impossible to complete without a guide. Gold Mask and Corhyn especially are peppered in completely random places where you'll never bump into them. Zelda did pretty in-depth, well-written, sometimes genuinely hilarious quests that you could actually complete without a guide.

-Each of the four corners of the map (and the great plateau) in BotW had an extremely well thought out "gimmick" that you couldn't just solve by killing something, they use the overworld extremely well.

I think if BotW didn't have so many quests that just rewarded rupees it would be untouchable. Well, that and basically having infinite heals by mid-game. I think both games have fully realized worlds with very good storytelling. I think Elden Rings difficulty is a bit uneven cause of level ups and weapon upgrades where its impossible to fine tune the way BotW was. The game becomes pretty much linear once you reach the capital, and thats where its tuned much better.

I will say, obviously, the bosses in elden ring are way better, and the combat is much deeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tw1ster

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
BOTW is definitely better, but Elden Ring was pretty good and I’m glad I played it.

I have maybe five complaints about BOTW and only three of them are major: weapon durability, Shrine and Korok fatigue and the Divine Beasts sucked.

Elden Ring has its ups and downs - lots of quests, zero indication on how to go about any of them. Some bosses are fun and hard, some are 50:50 skill vs luck and barely possible with certain builds. You can be Overlevelled by 30, smoke the next demigod and get to the next area and you’re instantly underlevelled by 30. The first two acts of the game are 10/10, act 3 is a 4/10 and the finale is maybe a 6. Both games have tons of reskinning but it isn’t nearly as obnoxious in BOTW.

BOTW has 10/10 exploration and 7.5/10 combat. Elden Ring has 9/10 combat and 4/10 exploration.

It’d be really cool to be able to ‘build your own’ Link though.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Breath of the Wild's combat is like a 1/10 in comparison and served to undermine a lot of the rest of that game for me. Engaging with the game mechanically is a waste of time; the combat isn't fun and the rewards are almost never meaningful. You break 2 uninteresting, replaceable weapons going through a moblin camp that you stumble onto and your reward is 2 more uninteresting, replaceable weapons and a red rupee or something.

They both have repetition throughout their open worlds but at least Elden Ring's is mechanically satisfying and always has an item at the end. And even if it's not something you'll use at least you're getting runes to make the numbers go up.

Also Elden Ring doesn't have any dungeons that require me to use tilt controls.

Reactions: Jovavic and Tw1ster

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'd probably put Elden Ring above BoTW - with the caveat that I'm only maybe halfway through ER. The exploration mechanics in BoTW are great, but what you end up finding is a bit disappointing - once you've seen a few shrines, you've seen them all.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Getting around BOTW’s world is incredibly fun and much better than ER’s. The combat and RPG themes are better in ER, which I would hope considering BOTW came out 5 years ago and has clearly influenced Elden Ring

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Getting around BOTW’s world is incredibly fun and much better than ER’s. The combat and RPG themes are better in ER, which I would hope considering BOTW came out 5 years ago and has clearly influenced Elden Ring
Really? I never played BOTW so you might be right, but to me, Elden Ring's combat and RPG stuff is influenced by the other Soulsbornes.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Really? I never played BOTW so you might be right, but to me, Elden Ring's combat and RPG stuff is influenced by the other Soulsbornes.
It's not a stretch to say that Elden Ring's open world was influenced by the work done in Breath of the Wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad