Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I had a no good, very not fun at all day today with the game.

I was a little overburdened this past week but something I was anticipating finally came in, so I rolled it up and continued my hike up the Mountaintop of the Giants. It’s an interesting place but I feel the late game areas lack compared to Limgrave and Liurnia.

Build and setup described in previous pages, about lv 145, trying to get to Castle Sol and suddenly Death Rite Bird, I hated this f*** in Liurnia and he’s five times worse here.

He got me at least forty times. I’d say probably about six of them I had him <1 inch of health and he just got me, my +6 Mimic Tear and all my runes, usually with that ultra cheesy black flame attack that one hits me.

Eventually I lucked out, for which I was rewarded with…77,000 runes, about half a level for me.

That wasn’t fun at all, I’m gonna have to go grind runes to build up a few additional weapons to carry in the end game.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I had a no good, very not fun at all day today with the game.

I was a little overburdened this past week but something I was anticipating finally came in, so I rolled it up and continued my hike up the Mountaintop of the Giants. It’s an interesting place but I feel the late game areas lack compared to Limgrave and Liurnia.

Build and setup described in previous pages, about lv 145, trying to get to Castle Sol and suddenly Death Rite Bird, I hated this f*** in Liurnia and he’s five times worse here.

He got me at least forty times. I’d say probably about six of them I had him <1 inch of health and he just got me, my +6 Mimic Tear and all my runes, usually with that ultra cheesy black flame attack that one hits me.

Eventually I lucked out, for which I was rewarded with…77,000 runes, about half a level for me.

That wasn’t fun at all, I’m gonna have to go grind runes to build up a few additional weapons to carry in the end game.
I'm seeing a lot of people say that no matter how much hp they have, in the late game they're getting one-shotted. Crazy.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It really is like a giant FromSoft level. They tell you right away to head north to the castle, but any time there is a clear path of progression in a FromSoft game, you should probably check out the other direction first :laugh:. I was a decent chunk into the castle, but decided to go south of the starting point and man...cleaned that up pretty easy so far. I still have half of the peninsula, but the half I did was no problem at all.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I'm seeing a lot of people say that no matter how much hp they have, in the late game they're getting one-shotted. Crazy.

What I’ve been finding is that I’m well enough leveled for bosses, but the area enemies/bosses are still smoking me, and I’ve got 42 Vigor here.

I already mentioned that damn bird, and it is an optional boss you can run past, but there’s a lot in the area (including the Tibia Mariner and another Deathroot), and I was seeing slow, incremental progress until I finally got him.

‘You look like you’re having fun exploring, let’s just drop a boss that can one hit you in there and see how you handle it!’

Castle Sol sucks, but if you don’t do online play you need to go there to get the Haligtree Medallion to get to Mohg’s Palace, and I know that’s not just gonna be a straight journey now that I have it.

Those goddamn gate front lions killed me about eleven times before I got them, luckily they don’t respawn.

Then I go up the stairs, and that murder falcon or whatever the hell it is gets me four times.

Then in and over, the low level banished knights eat it with one Night and Flame hit, but the higher level ones with the greatshields and dual swords (and they can teleport behind you!) got me another 5-6 times.

Then I said ‘Ok f*** this, I’m gonna run past these assholes.’

I got to Commander Niall and beat him fairly easily. I used the Bewitching Branch (purchased near the Bellum Church in Liurnia) to turn his summoned knights against him, then my man the Mimic Tear, and I spammed the weak attack Ash of war of SoN&F and got him on the second try.

Same thing with Leyndell - those banished knights and gargoyle f***s got me several times, Spectral Godfrey only got me once and Morgott didn’t even get the chance to hit me…but then the Black Blade Kindred guarding the lift got me about ten times.

I’m gonna go back and clean up Stormveil, Raya Lucaria and Volcano Manor before proceeding.

You obviously adapt as you play - every time I beat a boss and get a lot of runes I immediately go do a quick grind to get another level, but I feel like after Leyndell the game crosses the threshold from ‘a daunting but healthy challenge’ into ‘difficult for the lulz’.

I’m gonna have to get to like level 300 to even have a chance against Malenia and Mohg.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What I’ve been finding is that I’m well enough leveled for bosses, but the area enemies/bosses are still smoking me, and I’ve got 42 Vigor here.

I already mentioned that damn bird, and it is an optional boss you can run past, but there’s a lot in the area (including the Tibia Mariner and another Deathroot), and I was seeing slow, incremental progress until I finally got him.

‘You look like you’re having fun exploring, let’s just drop a boss that can one hit you in there and see how you handle it!’

Castle Sol sucks, but if you don’t do online play you need to go there to get the Haligtree Medallion to get to Mohg’s Palace, and I know that’s not just gonna be a straight journey now that I have it.

Those goddamn gate front lions killed me about eleven times before I got them, luckily they don’t respawn.

Then I go up the stairs, and that murder falcon or whatever the hell it is gets me four times.

Then in and over, the low level banished knights eat it with one Night and Flame hit, but the higher level ones with the greatshields and dual swords (and they can teleport behind you!) got me another 5-6 times.

Then I said ‘Ok f*** this, I’m gonna run past these assholes.’

I got to Commander Niall and beat him fairly easily. I used the Bewitching Branch (purchased near the Bellum Church in Liurnia) to turn his summoned knights against him, then my man the Mimic Tear, and I spammed the weak attack Ash of war of SoN&F and got him on the second try.

Same thing with Leyndell - those banished knights and gargoyle f***s got me several times, Spectral Godfrey only got me once and Morgott didn’t even get the chance to hit me…but then the Black Blade Kindred guarding the lift got me about ten times.

I’m gonna go back and clean up Stormveil, Raya Lucaria and Volcano Manor before proceeding.

You obviously adapt as you play - every time I beat a boss and get a lot of runes I immediately go do a quick grind to get another level, but I feel like after Leyndell the game crosses the threshold from ‘a daunting but healthy challenge’ into ‘difficult for the lulz’.

I’m gonna have to get to like level 300 to even have a chance against Malenia and Mohg.
Yeah regular enemies are deadly. My mad dash through the consecrated snowfield was scary. Got invaded by Anastasia again! I thought I killed her twice already.
I unfortunately saw a reddit comment about cheesing Commander Niall, through a hole in the wall, with a bow, from the rampart below his area, and I just had to try it. It was fun.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah regular enemies are deadly. My mad dash through the consecrated snowfield was scary. Got invaded by Anastasia again! I thought I killed her twice already.
I unfortunately saw a reddit comment about cheesing Commander Niall, through a hole in the wall, with a bow, from the rampart below his area, and I just had to try it. It was fun.

I hear you, and why should I feel shame for cheesing, when the game is constantly cheesing me first?

I’ll give anything the old college try, but when I’ve been killed over 30 times, including several times where the boss has 1-2 hits left in his health bar and I start getting pissed off and wanting to advance the story.

The field enemies usually aren’t a problem when you can isolate them, but damn, why does a field enemy have a 7-hit combo that can knock me out in two?

Difficult for the lulz.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There's tons of defense boosting items and weapon arts that people just aren't using. This isn't dark souls 3. Armor and defense actually makes a difference. I actually overburden myself if I'm fighting on horseback. Enemies pretty much can't damage you even without any buffs.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
There's tons of defense boosting items and weapon arts that people just aren't using. This isn't dark souls 3. Armor and defense actually makes a difference. I actually overburden myself if I'm fighting on horseback. Enemies pretty much can't damage you even without any buffs.
Even the opalescent crystal tear, gave my robe-wearing mage with no defence almost invulnerability against Tanith's Knight.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Gonna try this leveling cheese later today

There's another much easier rune farm in Dragonbarrow, by Lenne's rise. It's more chill, and slower. It's pretty cheaty, though. I've used it to top off my runes occasionally.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
There's another much easier rune farm in Dragonbarrow, by Lenne's rise. It's more chill, and slower. It's pretty cheaty, though. I've used it to top off my runes occasionally.

I like the one in Altus near Road of Inquiry Side Path. Walk south and kill the caravan and a few of the knights beyond, about 25,000 runes every five minutes with Golden Scarab.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I like the one in Altus near Road of Inquiry Side Path. Walk south and kill the caravan and a few of the knights beyond, about 25,000 runes every five minutes with Golden Scarab.
Haven't tried that one yet. Sounds good. When I first started the game I used to farm the troll outside of Godrick's area, about a 1500 runes at a time. That seemed like a lot back then.
The one by Lenne's Rise I referred to is a Steel Ball trap. Check it out. I thought for sure they would patch it, but it's still there.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Finally beat the tree guy who drops down from up high in the begging of the game. I had no health left and no health potions.

Respawning every enemy after a Rest at Grace is pretty insane to me. I’m not a soul’s player, this is my first game I’ve really tried so I’m trying not to complain.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Finally beat the tree guy who drops down from up high in the begging of the game. I had no health left and no health potions.

Respawning every enemy after a Rest at Grace is pretty insane to me. I’m not a soul’s player, this is my first game I’ve really tried so I’m trying not to complain.

I read today that you can skip him entirely. Aren't you glad that you didn't know that earlier?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I read today that you can skip him entirely. Aren't you glad that you didn't know that earlier?
like half the bosses in the game you can just run away from. Although now im actually trying to figure out who the "tree guy that comes down from high" is. Tree sentinel?

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
This game is completely overwhelming lol.
Kap G! Staying strong I hope? Yeah it can be. Plan to spend a lot of time with it and enjoy it like a 12 year scotch. Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly.
Is it just as hard as the dark souls game?
It's as hard as you want it to be. Probably From's most beginner friendly.
It really is like a giant FromSoft level. They tell you right away to head north to the castle, but any time there is a clear path of progression in a FromSoft game, you should probably check out the other direction first :laugh:. I was a decent chunk into the castle, but decided to go south of the starting point and man...cleaned that up pretty easy so far. I still have half of the peninsula, but the half I did was no problem at all.
They either go up or down don't they?
It's less fashion souls than Bloodborne, but I'm still playing fashion souls. For now.
Even the opalescent crystal tear, gave my robe-wearing mage with no defence almost invulnerability against Tanith's Knight.
Mages were never the most robust were they? Vigor to 99!

Liking my dex/bleed build quite a bit. Starting my hike up the mountain.

Bosses who wrecked me consistently? Black Blade Kindred took me a while. Mergit (was under leveled), had fun with Elemer (got destroyed a bunch, learned moves set, returned the favor), and the rot dragon. He is still alive: )

I almost beat the 2 TS's at the same time but wound up splitting them.

Last edited:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Kap G! Staying strong I hope? Yeah it can be. Plan to spend a lot of time with it and enjoy it like a 12 year scotch. Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly.

It's as hard as you want it to be. Probably From's most beginner friendly.

They either go up or down don't they?

It's less fashion souls than Bloodborne, but I'm still playing fashion souls. For now.

Mages were never the most robust were they? Vigor to 99!

Liking my dex/bleed build quite a bit. Starting my hike up the mountain.

Bosses who wrecked me consistently? Black Blade Kindred took me a while. Mergit (was under leveled), had fun with Elemer (got destroyed a bunch, learned moves set, returned the favor), and the rot dragon. He is still alive: )

I almost beat the 2 TS's at the same time but wound up splitting them.
Yah, still going strong. I did myself no favours starting as a wretch tbh. Picked a build that is suppppper squishy to start the game too (int/faith sword of night and flame spellblade build). Part of the game being so overwhelming is that I just don’t know what to do lol. Thankfully have a friend who is helping me out a bit when I need it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I probably had around 10 by the time I was in the Capital but I did the rest of the map before going there. There's a few around Liurnia and Limgrave for sure, at least. I know I've bought a couple from vendors as well.
Lol I'm now 50 hours in and don't have 1. Im fine with my build but this is getting weird.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Vigor soft caps at 40 and I definitely recommend getting there at some point. Though bosses still have attacks that one shot you.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Vigor soft caps at 40 and I definitely recommend getting there at some point. Though bosses still have attacks that one shot you.

I can't remember how it compares to dark souls 3 but 500 HP between 40 and 60 is definitely worth it especially in NG+

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Radahn has to be one of my favorite bosses ever. Almost got him on my second try, was two hits away but got greedy. Beat him on my fourth. No summons, nothing. It was awesome.

Now, I've been helping players in COOP. I'm on a 10 straight victories streaks helping people. This game is so much fun.

EDIT: And just like that, victory streak ended as the host of finger got two shot right at the last phase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad