Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
First of all I agree that Oilers deserved to win as they did push the play for most of the series. However I'd probably chill with the bravado of beating them with their 3rd string goalie and taking game 7 by a goal. Oilers are a bounce or two from losing the series themselves even though they played better. Good luck moving forward hope we see a great series as it's been so far.
I'm fine with embracing some humility on the circumstances but I don't get this "third string goalie" point so many people make. Demko would not have been any better. He is still ranked ahead, because of consistency over time, but thats not a measure for a single series. Silovs was brilliant in the series and at the very least turned DeSmith into the third stringer. It's an insult to Silovs to make goaltending one of the reasons the Canucks lost.

Reactions: Seanaconda and Grub

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm fine with embracing some humility on the circumstances but I don't get this "third string goalie" point so many people make. Demko would not have been any better. He is still ranked ahead, because of consistency over time, but thats not a measure for a single series. Silovs was brilliant in the series and at the very least turned DeSmith into the third stringer. It's an insult to Silovs to make goaltending one of the reasons the Canucks lost.
Silvos played great and we didn't lose because of him. However in my opinion the Canucks would have played with more confidence in front of Demko and not "cheated" to stay in a more defensive structure in front of the rookie. Regardless Oilers played better and deserved to win.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Demko is better than .898.

What a cunning post 😂

Gazdic would have gotten caved fighting from 1975-2005. And his skills were barely ECHL. 8 points in 200 games and got his his ass beat most nights. 😂😂😂

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023

What a cunning post 😂

Gazdic would have gotten caved fighting from 1975-2005. And his skills were barely ECHL. 8 points in 200 games and got his his ass beat most nights. 😂😂😂
Go watch the entire series highlites. Not guaranteed. This isn't a video game. Silovs made some insane saves that series. Youtube has a mini movie the NHL made of the entire series. I watched it and forgot some of the gigantic saves he made.

If one guy being out the last game (Boeser, who had 1 assists the last 3 games) ruined them, then they weren't up to par anyways. That game 6 and 7 from Vancouver was atrocious.

Also, Skinner sh** the bed twice. Vancouver was actually lucky to get it to 7. Hopefully their management are smart and don't just start jumping the gun. I see regression next year

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

What a cunning post 😂

Gazdic got his ass beat most nights?

You sure you aren’t thinking of stortini?

Reactions: ZJuice

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Silovs played very well under the circumstances but he is not Demko. I think Demko would have made a difference on a goal or two.

Silov's save % was 8.98 for the playoffs. Demko would not have been under 9. He played this year at a 918 clip and is very consistent and cool in the net. Small margins matter in a playoff series with 6 one goal games in a 7 game series.

I am not saying goaltending was the reason the Canucks lost the series. Silovs was fine. They lost because they didnt generate enough shots on Skinner, who was shaky for much of the series, and because their power play couldn't score and the Oilers PP did.

But to suggest there is no difference in Silovs and Demko is inaccurate. There is not a Canuck fan that would not like a crack at the Oilers in a 7 game series with our all star goalie in net. It was one area where the Canucks have a clear advantage over the Oilers. Also would have liked to have our top goal scorer for game 7.

Oilers were the overall better team and deserved to win. You are now on a roll but it does need to be stated that the Oilers have also have been blessed with remarkably good injury luck in these playoffs.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Oilers were the overall better team and deserved to win. You are now on a roll but it does need to be stated that the Oilers have also have been blessed with remarkably good injury luck in these playoffs.
Mcdavid has been hurt all year. Kane and Drai are beat up too. Sure we aer lucky in the sense that no one has missed games, but still beat up.

Long way of saying I don't think Demko would have tipped the balance of the series. The Canucks still lose that series with demko. I don't get why Vancouver fans downplay how well Silovs played.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Mcdavid has been hurt all year. Kane and Drai are beat up too. Sure we aer lucky in the sense that no one has missed games, but still beat up.

Long way of saying I don't think Demko would have tipped the balance of the series. The Canucks still lose that series with demko. I don't get why Vancouver fans downplay how well Silovs played.
If Edmonton had silovs that series, it's a fast series. Skinner rebounded against Dallas, but he needed to be yanked and have a reset.

Nevermind Henrique being out and ekholm, drai, McDavid either banged up or sick. Kane's been banged up all playoffs

Vancouver for most of the year took leads in games then sat back. Edmonton had a lead a ton in this series. Blew alot as well

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
If Edmonton had silovs that series, it's a fast series. Skinner rebounded against Dallas, but he needed to be yanked and have a reset.

Nevermind Henrique being out and ekholm, drai, McDavid either banged up or sick. Kane's been banged up all playoffs

Vancouver for most of the year took leads in games then sat back. Edmonton had a lead a ton in this series. Blew alot as well
Oh yeah. I forgot the oilers had the flu during the Vancouver series.

I agree though. Silovs was great and if we had him it would have been a short series

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

As I said Silovs had a save % of 8.98. That is not Thatcher Demko level goaltending.

Lol spare me on the claims of McDavid and Draisitil being so hurt. They are so hurt they play 28 minutes every game. Laughable.

Every team has multiple players with bumps and bruises. That IS the playoffs. The Oilers have had zero all star level players miss a single game in these playoffs like the Canucks and Stars have. Your players are not missing any games.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
As I said Silovs had a save % of 8.98. That is not Thatcher Demko level goaltending.

Lol spare me on the claims of McDavid and Draisitil being so hurt. They are so hurt they play 28 minutes every game. Laughable.

Every team has multiple players with bumps and bruises. That IS the playoffs. The Oilers have had zero all star level players miss a single game in these playoffs like the Canucks and Stars have. Your players are not missing any games.
You cannot just assume demko would have made a lot of those epic saves silovs made. That's now how it works. Maybe he stops others silovs let's in, but it's not just this black and white

Hell, he didn't even look good in his one game. He made that nice cross crease stop but Nashville took the lead. Vancouver did what they did alot of. Two quick goals to take the lead

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Again, you don't get to play the injury card on players who are so hurt they are on the ice 28 minutes a night. So hurt they lead the NHL in playoff scoring and ice time of any forwards.

When players are not in your line up for crucial games, then you actually have an injury problem.

A few games without one 34 year old bottom 6 player you picked up at the deadline doesn't really move the needle.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Silovs played very well under the circumstances but he is not Demko. I think Demko would have made a difference on a goal or two.

Silov's save % was 8.98 for the playoffs. Demko would not have been under 9. He played this year at a 918 clip and is very consistent and cool in the net. Small margins matter in a playoff series with 6 one goal games in a 7 game series.

I am not saying goaltending was the reason the Canucks lost the series. Silovs was fine. They lost because they didnt generate enough shots on Skinner, who was shaky for much of the series, and because their power play couldn't score and the Oilers PP did.

But to suggest there is no difference in Silovs and Demko is inaccurate. There is not a Canuck fan that would not like a crack at the Oilers in a 7 game series with our all star goalie in net. It was one area where the Canucks have a clear advantage over the Oilers. Also would have liked to have our top goal scorer for game 7.

The Oilers have a history of opening up good goalies though. Oettinger had his worst stretch vs the Oilers, and that's after playing against Vegas and Colorado, the two previous cup winners. The Oilers play very defensively with low shots and have had quick strike offense, and of course great special teams. Silovs didn't even get to play all of the Nashville series. I don't think Bobrovsky will have a great save percentage either, but he will play great

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Again, you don't get to play the injury card on players who are so hurt they are on the ice 28 minutes a night. So hurt they lead the NHL in playoff scoring and ice time of any forwards.

When players are not in your line up for crucial games, then you actually have an injury problem.

A few games without one 34 year old bottom 6 player you picked up at the deadline doesn't really move the needle.
I think Vancouver just ran out of gas don't care who they had in game 7 they looked atrocious. They wake up after that oiler giveaway. Nothing before. Game 6 same

One thing I always complimented Vancouver on was how hard they worked in the regular season. I said it many times on the Edmonton board

These guys played every game like it was the playoffs. I said watch them burn out come playoff time

They were like some rookie at training camp who is going balls to the wall while most guys are going 60%

Its like drai. Alot of us said he looks kinda lazy in regular season games. Come crunch time he looked great. Like he added a jump to his step

To me Canucks didn't have any elevation. They used it all up in the reg season and didn't look any better come the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad