Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Imagine Bouchard making more than Q Hughes and Makar.. :huh:

The only two players in the NHL making over 12m this season are Adam Fox and Darnell Nurse

Anyways, those deals were signed years ago, you can't really compare them without using cap% and we're talking about offer sheets which are purposefully inflated.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
For that cost, to get someone who still might break out is not a bad roll of the dice.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It was speculation from Stauffer at the time, but it was the morning before the offer sheets.
The Oilers may have known these offer sheets were on the way at that point. Agents may have mentioned them if there was a leverage element here. The timing is still suspiciously close enough that it seems related.

But maybe it was just to dissuade the Blues from trying. Teams don't try offer sheets unless they feel they will be successful

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Definitely not 12M+ like that poster suggested.

I don't think he's worth that at all, but we're talking over sheets. A team wouldn't get Bouch via OS by paying him fair value

I know jack squat about this guy. Someone fill me in. Why is this a steal? I assume it's to replace Holloway but still.

It isn't, he can't skate, can't shoot, can't keep up with the play. He's somewhat physical but not very good, is .5ppg in the AHL and only had 2A in 20gp in the NHL this year and was scratched for the playoffs despite a rotating caste of bad wingers

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Pods was going to have a hard time making the Canucks roster out of camp. At that point he goes for nothing if he hits waivers, or a real late pick. Glad they got a bit of something for him in advance.

I always liked his potential, and seems like a good kid. Best of luck in Edmonton.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
good gamble for the Oilers, he's likely a bust but maybe this wakes him up a bit and if so he could be a solid depth guy.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Does pod have to clear waivers?

He lost waiver exemption at the end of this past season, so if your question is will he be on waivers if he doesn’t crack the lineup out of camp, the answer is yes.

I think this was a good faith trade for a player that did everything he was asked and wasn’t going to make the team in the fall with all the forward depth the Canucks added this summer. Edmonton might be able to flip him before putting him on waivers if other teams can give him a roster spot.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I don't think he's worth that at all, but we're talking over sheets. A team wouldn't get Bouch via OS by paying him fair value
Do you actually believes he’d sign a potential OS considering he’s in a better situation to win with Edmonton?

I believe he gets locked up with Edmonton before it gets to that point.. this entire exchange is kinda moot tbh.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

It isn't, he can't skate, can't shoot, can't keep up with the play. He's somewhat physical but not very good, is .5ppg in the AHL and only had 2A in 20gp in the NHL this year and was scratched for the playoffs despite a rotating caste of bad wingers
Oh, someone said he was a steal but I guess they were being sarcastic. Lol

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Thanks, Mr. Hindsight.

Tons of people were praising the Canucks at the time.

And they couldn't have been more wrong.

Now ask why he wasn't picked where these idiots thought? He sild to a sucker for a reason. Canucks scouts pick their draft like I do, from their shitter with a Thehockeynews. That's why they pick Virtanen, Joulevi and Podzolkin.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm not happy the Nucks moved on from Podkolzin and especially to the Oilers of all teams.

I don't like the timing and he has potential to be a good role player

Last season he had a kid and suffered a concussion that set him back i really feel like we should have gave him one last chance to show he can be a good grinder.

He doesn't have the vision and IQ to be a scorer as he plays with his head down way too often but his net drive, shot and physical package should have been enough to give him one more look. He wins most his puck battles also this is a good gamble for Edmonton

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Do you actually believes he’d sign a potential OS considering he’s in a better situation to win with Edmonton?

I believe he gets locked up with Edmonton before it gets to that point.. this entire exchange is kinda moot tbh.

If it gets to the summer and another team is offering him 12+ then maybe. We don't know what he values most.

If you don't think it's worth discussing then you don't have to respond though.

Oh, someone said he was a steal but I guess they were being sarcastic. Lol

Nah, they're just living in 2019 still. Podkolzin was one of the top rated prospects in the draft and was a "steal" at 10OA but he never really developed.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
If it gets to the summer and another team is offering him 12+ then maybe. We don't know what he values most.

If you don't think it's worth discussing then you don't have to respond though.
By all accounts everyone on the Oilers have said he’s a fierce competitor, so this notion he’ll sign an OS wouldn’t make any sense.

I mean the Oilers opened themselves to 2 OS this off season so they’ll follow that up next off season by risking for another, bigger OS on Bouchard.. yeah, I don’t see it happening.

Massive speculation.. that’s all it is.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I'm not happy the Nucks moved on from Podkolzin and especially to the Oilers of all teams.

I don't like the timing and he has potential to be a good role player

Last season he had a kid and suffered a concussion that set him back i really feel like we should have gave him one last chance to show he can be a good grinder.

He doesn't have the vision and IQ to be a scorer as he plays with his head down way too often but his net drive, shot and physical package should have been enough to give him one more look. He wins most his puck battles also this is a good gamble for Edmonton
The Oilers just need him to be a cheap depth player so maybe he will workout in that role.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
I know jack squat about this guy. Someone fill me in. Why is this a steal? I assume it's to replace Holloway but still.
It’s not a steal. That kid is just making Edmonton homers look casual.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
By all accounts everyone on the Oilers have said he’s a fierce competitor, so this notion he’ll sign an OS wouldn’t make any sense.

I mean the Oilers opened themselves to 2 OS this off season so they’ll follow that up next off season by risking for another, bigger OS on Bouchard.. yeah, I don’t see it happening.

Massive speculation.. that’s all it is.
Bouchard is going to get paid no matter what so an offer sheet likely wouldn't be much more then what the Oilers will have to pay him anyway. Makes it almost pointless. Offer sheets only work if you overpay a player a pretty substantial amount.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If the Oilers did decide to match both, Podkolzin could play with Holloway on the 4th line. Seems unlikely but it's an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Why Canucks or Oilers make this trade is confusing.
Canucks probably told 32 GMs that he was going on waivers and if anyone wants to jump the cue, show me something. The highest bid was a 4th. Plus they probably wanted to show some goodwill to the player and not nix a trade for petty reasons.

He got 14 goals in 20-21

Hopefully the Canucks are cooking up something else, or I’m a little confused on this one.
Why. The Canucks are in win now mode. They don't have time for project late bloomer. Edm is taking a chance on him getting back to his 21/22 form

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Oiler win this trade as the 4th will never amount to anything. Podkolzin will get 200 or more hits and has potential to get 30 points.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
And they couldn't have been more wrong.

Now ask why he wasn't picked where these idiots thought? He sild to a sucker for a reason. Canucks scouts pick their draft like I do, from their shitter with a Thehockeynews. That's why they pick Virtanen, Joulevi and Podzolkin.
Oh and they drafted Hughs and Petterson. So STFU. They were intent on drafting Zegras in 2019 and missed by one pick on him and took the BPA

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Bouchard is going to get paid no matter what so an offer sheet likely wouldn't be much more then what the Oilers will have to pay him anyway. Makes it almost pointless. Offer sheets only work if you overpay a player a pretty substantial amount.
Yeah but 12M+ OS for Bouchard seems crippling for any team. Like which team would want to destroy their salary cap like this?

I like Bouch for his offense but he’s no where worth that value. Quinn’s on a 7.85M AAV contract and Makar’s got a 9M AAV. And these guys drive the offense for their team. Bouch has McDrai doing the heavy lifting on most nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad