Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
By all accounts everyone on the Oilers have said he’s a fierce competitor, so this notion he’ll sign an OS wouldn’t make any sense.

I mean the Oilers opened themselves to 2 OS this off season so they’ll follow that up next off season by risking for another, bigger OS on Bouchard.. yeah, I don’t see it happening.

Massive speculation.. that’s all it is.

Yeah, this is a website based on speculation, HockeysFuture? It'd be pretty boring if you could only talk about things that already happened.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Oiler win this trade as the 4th will never amount to anything. Podkolzin will get 200 or more hits and has potential to get 30 points.
Canucks get a pick (which I bet they'll trade in a package for something better mid season) for a guy who wasn't even in the top 15 in our fwd depth chart and isn't waiver exempt.

The other side of it is if you have a really bad 4th line he can play on your team and if he could somehow fix what is surely one of the worst skating strides in the league he could be a third liner. He plays hard and has heart but I think the skating will ultimately be too much to overcome.

Certainly a win for the Canucks to get something for someone who had no real shot of playing any meaningful amount of games in the NHL with us. I couldn't say for the Oilers.

Reactions: David71

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Yeah but 12M+ OS for Bouchard seems crippling for any team. Like which team would want to destroy their salary cap like this?

I like Bouch for his offense but he’s no where worth that value. Quinn’s on a 7.85M AAV contract and Makar’s got a 9M AAV. And these guys drive the offense for their team. Bouch has McDrai doing the heavy lifting on most nights.
No one is going to give Bouchard that much.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Podkolzin will go down as one of the biggest mysteries to me. The mystery being why there was ever any hype about him. Never did anything impressive at any level yet for some reason was viewed as a great prospect.
Was my DND in 2019. And of course we picked him.

The fact that there were some scouts who suggested he was a top 5 talent was mind boggling to me and I almost felt gaslighted for thinking he was a steal and that I must’ve not been evaluating him properly. He was simply never the type of prospect everyone was thinking that he was at the time.

I still would’ve liked us to keep him even if it meant him being a 4th line energy guy but the pick gained will be useful in the very near future in hopefully getting rid of Poolman’s contract and or for other roster improvements. I just hate he had to go to Edmonton.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Thanks, Mr. Hindsight.

Tons of people were praising the Canucks at the time.

None of those people were praising the Canucks and most of those links don't work.

Guy had 13pts his draft year. He's never been even at a .5 point-per-game anywhere in his hockey career. Nichushkin development curves aren't super common and look how that turned out anyway.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
We're talking about the amount to successfully offer sheet him, it would require the highest amount possible without being 4 1sts.
He needs to agree to sign the OS. It’s not successful if he doesn’t sign. You somehow think he’d agree to signing it. This is where we disagree.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
At that price, i don't really get why Vancouver didn't just hang on to Podkolzin and see what happens. Obviously a lot of the way they were talking about him was bluster, to actually end up giving him away for practically nothing. And at this point...it's hard to blame anyone for thinking he's trending toward bust. But at the absolute worst, he's a competent-ish 4th line "filler" who doesn't do much.

He's still a guy who...before his confidence got completely shattered, came into the league as scored ~30pt not far off ~20G pace. Soft cushy minutes on a terrible team and all, but he really did show flashes of being the sort of "puck protection" complementary "3rd wheel" Top-9 Winger he projected as.

It's an absolutely nothing gamble by the Oilers. Either he does something, or what...they're out a 4th round pick? Big deal.

Makes me wonder a bit if they're concerned beyond just his "stalled" development (or regression). With his focus, training, or something else. Or even just worried about him medically. That concussion was...scary. Wouldn't be the first time a player was never the same after.

But still...basically no risk, pure upside for Edmonton here.

Reactions: quat

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It might end up resembling a three-way trade: Vancouver gets Ottawa's 2025 fourth-round pick; St. Louis gets Holloway; and Edmonton gets Podzolkin and St. Louis' 2025 third-round pick.

Not a sweeping victory for any of these teams, but hardly a disaster for Edmonton.

As usual, the real winner is Dylan Holloway with an inflated contract and QO that St. Louis will have the pleasure of servicing.

Reactions: nturn06

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
No, if they match the offer sheet, Broberg likely plays with Nurse on the 2nd pair.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Emberson

Depth - Stecher. J. Brown. Gleason. Not bad for injury call ups.
ah yes, match the high offer sheet and really set him up for success by playing him with Nurse lmfao

makes sense

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Only surprising thing is the team they traded him to
Exactly as he got lost in the shuffle with the Canucks offseason moves.

He had a good april to finish the 21-22 season but then got lost in the canucks struggles early in 22-23 and never really developed.

Wouldn't be surprised if he does well in Edmonton.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
At that price, i don't really get why Vancouver didn't just hang on to Podkolzin and see what happens.
I guess you can say it's easier to make the deal now then risk losing him for nothing on waivers. But, honestly, we're talking about a 4th round pick, and competition in training camp, or having a 23 year old finally get that full time roster spot is more valuable than the 4th. But I guess if you don't see it happening, take what you can get.

Reactions: biturbo19

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I still wish we don't match Broberg,
Too much unknow at that price point, and not worth the risk

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Podkolzin will go down as one of the biggest mysteries to me. The mystery being why there was ever any hype about him. Never did anything impressive at any level yet for some reason was viewed as a great prospect.
He's incredibly mediocre and doesn't even pass the eye test. Even if you just stick to highlights, he just doesn't look like an NHL player.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
He's incredibly mediocre and doesn't even pass the eye test. Even if you just stick to highlights, he just doesn't look like an NHL player.
I'm a bit torn... On one hand he put up less than mediocre numbers, on another hand his numbers are better than Holloway's and the Oilers got him for cheaper. HMMMM

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'm a bit torn... On one hand he put up less than mediocre numbers, on another hand his numbers are better than Holloway's and the Oilers got him for cheaper. HMMMM
I'm a huge Podz fan, like to the point of being mocked lol but all his points came in his rookie season under Travis Green. Since then he's been regressing and even in Abby this year he started out on fire but dropped big time and when he got called up he was given a spot next to Lindholm and Garland and while looking energized, he did absolutely nothing.

He was never gonna make the nucks and requires waivers so I get it but fuk, why Edmonton? I can't cheer for him anymore and that sucks.

Honestly, I think he will get waived by the oilers and hopefully a team that sucks and has room to play him in the top six and keep him there claims him. Podz can still become a good player but playing limited minutes in the bottom six will only cement him as a typical fourth liner and I think there's more their with a proper fit.
Sharks, Ducks, Utah, etc come to mind.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
This is such a confusing trade for what looks like just making a trade. Gives the Oilers a great "player with potential" and the ability to shrug off Holloway's loss. but gives Vancouver absolutely positively nothing worth even considering.

A 2025 4th round pick? Why? Is there a trade with Ottawa coming for them to get their pick back for an offer sheet in 2025 or?

Again, this makes almost no sense for Vancouver at all because they have so little true depth on the wings, zero quality prospects worth speaking of outside of Lekkerimaki, Pettersson and Willander and a serious burning need for players on cheap contracts and ELCs

While Podkolzin might not be a needle mover he is something that the Canucks org does not really have.

Such a weird move.
Not a "weird move" at all. Canucks free up cap space and get a 4th they can use in a trade to upgrade the D while only giving up a waiver fodder. A player that might be lost on waivers this year. He is a 4th liner not a potential 1st liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad