Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oh and they drafted Hughs and Petterson. So STFU. They were intent on drafting Zegras in 2019 and missed by one pick on him and took the BPA
Woopty doo. 2 soft players to build their franchise around that will never make an impact in the playoffs when it counts.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
How did EDM get this player for so cheap?

Pod was obviously overrated during his draft season, expected to be low 1st round pick. Instead getting only a 4th (high) is an absolute steal. VAN should have gotten more for low risk, high return player.

Reactions: luiginb

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
At 4.5M the Blues valued him for a 2nd round pick. If he was extended at 2M, he probably would have been worth a 1st in a trade. So really his value hasn’t dropped that far, it did for awhile, but this last season dominating the AHL and showing well in the playoffs has obviously revived that value.
Yeah, people keep getting Broberg’s value confused with his actual value PLUS the cost of making it a hard decision for Edmonton to match.

Reactions: TheNumber4

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Pod was obviously overrated during his draft season, expected to be low 1st round pick. Instead getting only a 4th (high) is an absolute steal. VAN should have gotten more for low risk, high return player.

He hasn't really proven anything in the NHL besides his rookie season where the team was on the 'Bruce there it is' heater.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I really doubt he can "turn it around". This is the same guy who was not impressive in KHL after his draft and was being sent up and down, same story since he got here to North America. Lacks the skills of being a top 6 forward while not good enough to play on the PK or be some kind of a defensive stalwart. So he is just an average dime a dozen player. Canucks upgraded on him by getting the much more physical Sherwood who can play PK and be an energy guy. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and move forward which is why i like this managment compared to Benning who would re-sign busts like Virtanen instead of impact players because he doesnt know when the player has become a bust already.

I mean, when he first came over to North America, he definitely showed flashes of being a useful Top-9 filler with size and some puck protection skills, and enough skill to not get in the way. Which was...pretty much the realistic "projection" imo from the day he was drafted.

It wasn't exactly "impressive"...but it wasn't nothing either.

He just completely fell apart after that though. Largely seemed mental. Hoglander was exactly the same...and he managed to really "turn it around". So...you never really know...unless there's more to the story off the ice or something. :dunno:

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Podz and his wife will like Edmonton. He won't have to worry as much about making ends meet with his million dollar salary. It is a better city for a young family

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
For canucks fans and others who are making a huge fuss about this trade, i want to know where he would play as a player that is not waiver exempt anymore??

Canucks Forward group:

Sprong-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Debrusk
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Heinen-Suter-Sherwood
Aman
DiGieuseppe
Podkolzin??
Canucks cant carry 3 extra forwards so 1 had to be traded. Aman is better defensively and a center and Phil can play PK and also up and down the lineup and score more than Podkolzin. Podkolzin cant be sent down, what choice do Canucks have?
I think for us fans is its just more that he is a likeable player that puts in the practice effort,doesnt seem to have any ego or entitlement and works. We all wanted him to work out , just didnt.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

My guess is that not enough teams have scouted him enough to guarantee him a spot. At his age he must be waiver eligible.

Vancouver had to trade him if they felt they would lose him for nothing on waivers.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I think for us fans is its just more that he is a likeable player that puts in the practice effort,doesnt seem to have any ego or entitlement and works. We all wanted him to work out , just didnt.
Yeah but his personality isnt enough to make this team especially when we just added 3 forwards on top of what we had minus Lindholm. So our forward group is even harder to crack this year compared to last year when Podkolzin barely even played. That 1 mil in cap space and a 4th would be more valuable in this years TDL if we are going to upgrade our D. 4.5 mil in cap space at TDL could give us a njce top 4 D plus that 4th could be thrown in to make the trade.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I mean, when he first came over to North America, he definitely showed flashes of being a useful Top-9 filler with size and some puck protection skills, and enough skill to not get in the way. Which was...pretty much the realistic "projection" imo from the day he was drafted.

It wasn't exactly "impressive"...but it wasn't nothing either.

He just completely fell apart after that though. Largely seemed mental. Hoglander was exactly the same...and he managed to really "turn it around". So...you never really know...unless there's more to the story off the ice or something. :dunno:
I also think maybe Podkolzin asked for the trade too and Alvin decided to take advantage of desperate Oilers. Maybe Alvin could have asked for a 3rd but i guess his maximum worth wpuld have been a 4th or a 3rd. Doubt any team would give us a 1st or a 2nd for Podkolzin.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Different coaches, different supporting players and a different system can do things for players.

Like I said, all he has to do is pot 20-30 points next season for under $1.5 million and it's going to be a better return for the Oilers than a random 4th for the Canucks.

Is it a guarantee? No, but nothing in life is.
But the most valuable thing for Canucks is the cap space, even if its 1.5 million, that could be the difference between a top 4 D and a bottom pair D. We would need all the cap space we can get for a TDL deal to make our defense better.

The Canucks free up a contract spot, but not any cap space on a contract this size. He could be buried or lost on waivers, and any replacement player would cost nearly as much.

This trade is one-half step up from a waivers claim. I doubt the Canucks would let him go if he fit into their plans.
Well, getting a 4th for him is way better than losing him on waivers which is what I think Canucks planned to do until Oilers got desperate for a cheap young forward.

Reactions: Ciao

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010

Apparently they've been trying to move him since the spring, there was no interest league-wide at the deadline. This tells me they got what they could

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
His off season comments he said he was tired of playing in the AHL and was getting pissed off about it. He would be starting in the AHL this year and it prob didn't sit well with him.

He prob wanted to go where he could play in the NHL.
Canucks get something for him before he goes for nothing. asset management .

Oilers get a player with a bit of potential for next to nothing.

Pods does alot of little things very well. He is trusted with the puck. makes smart pass's. Just doesn't get anything done. He has no finish and doesn't make scoring chances.

Oilers are getting a player that COULD but prob wont do anything. At worst he is a player than wont cost you on the ice, doesn't make dumb plays and cost your team a goal . At best he actually does something.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
The BPA was a minor leaguer? That's some powerful copium.

BPA at the time =/= BPA forever. The draft isn't a guaranteed 1-250 of the best players in order. Podkolzin was generally projected to be taken higher than #10 and the #2 best European at the draft.

Reactions: biturbo19

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
His off season comments he said he was tired of playing in the AHL and was getting pissed off about it. He would be starting in the AHL this year and it prob didn't sit well with him.

He prob wanted to go where he could play in the NHL.
Canucks get something for him before he goes for nothing. asset management .

Oilers get a player with a bit of potential for next to nothing.

Pods does alot of little things very well. He is trusted with the puck. makes smart pass's. Just doesn't get anything done. He has no finish and doesn't make scoring chances.

Oilers are getting a player that COULD but prob wont do anything. At worst he is a player than wont cost you on the ice, doesn't make dumb plays and cost your team a goal . At best he actually does something.
and we don't need him to score or provide any offence at all really, we have other players for that. Just need him to make smart plays with the puck.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Not sure what the oilers have in the system but if they match these two, at next years draft all they have is a 6th and 7th round pick.

I bet they let both walk. They will be in tough cap wise next year having to sign Leon and Bouch.

Window is closing in Edm.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I also think maybe Podkolzin asked for the trade too and Alvin decided to take advantage of desperate Oilers. Maybe Alvin could have asked for a 3rd but i guess his maximum worth wpuld have been a 4th or a 3rd. Doubt any team would give us a 1st or a 2nd for Podkolzin.

Clearly nobody was willing to do more than a 4th for Podkolzin, and that's fine. I can't see why anyone would at this point. The point is...if the "value" is that low, if there's still any potential upside to keeping him at all, why not just keep him and find out at that price?

But the most valuable thing for Canucks is the cap space, even if its 1.5 million, that could be the difference between a top 4 D and a bottom pair D. We would need all the cap space we can get for a TDL deal to make our defense better.

Well, getting a 4th for him is way better than losing him on waivers which is what I think Canucks planned to do until Oilers got desperate for a cheap young forward.

Podz salary is $1M this year and next year, so if he does establish himself, there's value in that.

But even if he doesn't, it's really not much in the way of effective cap savings anyway. It's $1M...minus the guy who will fill his roster spot. Which ranges between like $25k if you look at that as Sprong...to $225k if you go with the cheapest realistic "replacement" which would be PDG @ $775k himself.

It's really very little. This isn't the Jackets dumping Laine's huge contract. It's...barely putting a dent in the margins. There's pretty limited "value" in that, to just give the guy away for a 4th, which is also a relatively limited value deadline chip. Not nothing on either front, but not far from it.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Clearly nobody was willing to do more than a 4th for Podkolzin, and that's fine. I can't see why anyone would at this point. The point is...if the "value" is that low, if there's still any potential upside to keeping him at all, why not just keep him and find out at that price?

Podz salary is $1M this year and next year, so if he does establish himself, there's value in that.

But even if he doesn't, it's really not much in the way of effective cap savings anyway. It's $1M...minus the guy who will fill his roster spot. Which ranges between like $25k if you look at that as Sprong...to $225k if you go with the cheapest realistic "replacement" which would be PDG @ $775k himself.

It's really very little. This isn't the Jackets dumping Laine's huge contract. It's...barely putting a dent in the margins. There's pretty limited "value" in that, to just give the guy away for a 4th, which is also a relatively limited value deadline chip. Not nothing on either front, but not far from it.
Ok but its between him and Phil to be sent to the farm and we know who would get sent down get claimed. So its between getting nothing for him or getting a 4th and I will take a 4th any day no matter what most people here say about the value of a 4th round pick. Either way, we decided that Digiuseppe was a better player and worth keeping over Podkolzin.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ok but its between him and Phil to be sent to the farm and we know who would get sent down get claimed. So its between getting nothing for him or getting a 4th and I will take a 4th any day no matter what most people here say about the value of a 4th round pick. Either way, we decided that Digiuseppe was a better player and worth keeping over Podkolzin.

I very much doubt that PDG would be claimed.

It's essentially down to the fact that the staff trusts PDG more, despite having no real upside to speak of. And apparently having next to no faith in Podz actually coming in to camp with his confidence back on track, distractions set aside, and health in good condition.

They more or less decided that camp battle before camp. And the result is...a 4th round pick, and a very small amount of potential cap space, though i'd reckon they'll probably juggle the opening night roster all around anyway to maximize their cap situation/flexibility. Who knows who ends up sent down "on paper" to start. :dunno:

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I very much doubt that PDG would be claimed.

It's essentially down to the fact that the staff trusts PDG more, despite having no real upside to speak of. And apparently having next to no faith in Podz actually coming in to camp with his confidence back on track, distractions set aside, and health in good condition.

They more or less decided that camp battle before camp. And the result is...a 4th round pick, and a very small amount of potential cap space, though i'd reckon they'll probably juggle the opening night roster all around anyway to maximize their cap situation/flexibility. Who knows who ends up sent down "on paper" to start. :dunno:
Phil is a better player and was playing in playoffs compared to Podz. What is there to decide 3 months after that? Podkolzin just didnt make the cut and we have depth on forward which can be used to improve the defense and thats why the 4th is a good piece.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Phil is a better player and was playing in playoffs compared to Podz. What is there to decide 3 months after that? Podkolzin just didnt make the cut and we have depth on forward which can be used to improve the defense and thats why the 4th is a good piece.

The fact Vancouver has a bunch of other bottom-of-roster options at Forward doesn't actually make the return for Podz a "good piece". It's still a 4th round pick, no matter how many PDGs and Sprongs and other filler is available to them. It's the sort of thing you can throw in to a deadline deal to top the offer of an actual piece, like a better pick or prospect.

And it's not that Podz was "worth" any more than that to anyone. It's just that if he does actually come in after a good summer of training, getting healthy, and getting his mental game screwed on straight...he has more potential upside to make some middle-of-roster impact than you can likely fetch for a 4th rounder, even at the deadline.

If you really wanted to pinch pennies to make improvements to the defence, you could always start by not signing a plumber like Forbort. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad