Confirmed with Link: [EDM/VAN] Oilers acquire Vasily Podkolzin for OTT 4th '25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There is some risk here because of waivers. An issue for a player like this is that we are a team that may need a reduced roster without much press box depth. Unless we want to lose the pick we paid, we better be playing this guy. It's not exactly an easy thing to force onto Knoblauch. Imo losing this 4th rounder is a big possibility. Vancouver felt they were going to lose him for nothing

We would lose Podkolzin for sure to a bottom feeder

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes it is and because of that offersheets are very rare. But sometimes a GM goes gung-ho....
Imo offer sheets aren't used much because they are a thing you would only try if you felt strongly you would succeed. Also the player has to want to sign it. I strongly feel that there are a lot of offer sheets we never hear about because they aren't signed

But on the signing team's angle, the worse the contract is, the better your odds at succeeding so most of the time it doesn't make sense. It has to be a player like Broberg where St.Louis strongly believes there is something special there

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Imo offer sheets aren't used much because they are a thing you would only try if you felt strongly you would succeed. Also the player has to want to sign it. I strongly feel that there are a lot of offer sheets we never hear about because they aren't signed

But on the signing team's angle, the worse the contract is, the better your odds at succeeding so most of the time it doesn't make sense. It has to be a player like Broberg where St.Louis strongly believes there is something special there
I suspect it's not that binary where a team sends an offer sheet like it's a formal process and the player accepts or rejects it.

They are free agents you can negotiate with, and those negotiations can be anything from tyre kicking to more concrete proposals back and forth. Then in rare cases it goes all the way to a signed contract like in these cases.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm worried we might have gifted you guys a good one here...

We signed Podz to a two year contract in the hopes that he would maybe start to figure it out this year, then break out to some degree next year allowing us to carry an over performing player at a 1mil cap hit for a season. I don't like that we essentially gifted that potential luxury to our biggest rival for advancing in the standings, but it appears that's what we elected to do.

Podz is an interesting player. He has very high work ethic and good attitude, he does not have the usual stereotypical profile that a lot of Russian players carry. He grinds hard, hits, goes to the physical areas of the ice, etc.

He has two main downsides:

1. He sometimes looks a bit lost out there. This is not due to a lack of effort, I don't really know what it is, but sometimes he just struggles with where he should be and what he should be doing. With that said, at other times, he makes very smart heads up plays, so I wouldn't say he has a lack of hockey sense, it's almost like he just gets caught sleeping here and there.
  2. For some reason, he seems to have a lack of finish. I don't really understand why as he has a heavy shot, and I do believe he has untapped offensive potential. He played quite a few games with Pettersson and they connected on some beauties (some of which, Podkolzin was the one making the amazing offensive play).
The problem is Podz seems to have had these concerns at every level from the KHL, to AHL, to NHL, and he hasn't overcome them. He's a player you want to root for, and you can see what appears to be potential, which is why Canuck fans didn't want to let him go. But ya, I don't know why he can't seem to put it all together. Maybe he's a potential late bloomer candidate? Or maybe he's a bust... In either case, he's a well liked player, and someone Vancouver fans will be following to see how his story turns out...

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015

We signed Podz to a two year contract in the hopes that he would maybe start to figure it out this year, then break out to some degree next year allowing us to carry an over performing player at a 1mil cap hit for a season. I don't like that we essentially gifted that potential luxury to our biggest rival for advancing in the standings, but it appears that's what we elected to do.

Podz is an interesting player. He has very high work ethic and good attitude, he does not have the usual stereotypical profile that a lot of Russian players carry. He grinds hard, hits, goes to the physical areas of the ice, etc.

1. He sometimes looks a bit lost out there. This is not due to a lack of effort, I don't really know what it is, but sometimes he just struggles with where he should be and what he should be doing. With that said, at other times, he makes very smart heads up plays, so I wouldn't say he has a lack of hockey sense, it's almost like he just gets caught sleeping here and there.
  2. For some reason, he seems to have a lack of finish. I don't really understand why as he has a heavy shot, and I do believe he has untapped offensive potential. He played quite a few games with Pettersson and they connected on some beauties (some of which, Podkolzin was the one making the amazing offensive play).
The problem is Podz seems to have had these concerns at every level from the KHL, to AHL, to NHL, and he hasn't overcome them. He's a player you want to root for, and you can see what appears to be potential, which is why Canuck fans didn't want to let him go. But ya, I don't know why he can't seem to put it all together. Maybe he's a potential late bloomer candidate? Or maybe he's a bust... In either case, he's a well liked player, and someone Vancouver fans will be following to see how his story turns out...
He's actually not all that different from Holloway. Pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses. Hope things work out for Podz this time around.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Thanks. He seems to really have a hard time finishing around the net. Has this always been the case? Is he a good skater?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Any time I've looked in the player looks lost mode. The player is 23 and hasn't shown any sign of figuring it out and has had 2 brutal seasons in a row. This is reclamation from bust territory now.

If Podkolzin was doing any of the bolded he might be in the lineup. He would be scoring too if he did any of that ever.

Perhaps why none of the coaches liked the player.

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
He reminds me a bit of Foegele.
Foegele has never really cut towards the net off the rush while it's all Podkolzin does.

No matter if Podkolzin pans out or not, seeing him take pucks to the net instead of button hooking back up the half-wall will be a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Thanks for the scouting report. In regards to your comment about his finishing, Just looking at highlights I wondered why his shot looks so telegraphed. How much dragging does a wrist shot need.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bob saying Podz will get first crack at a bottom 6 role due to the waiver eligibility. If he doesn’t turn out, we potentially lose him for nothing and the 4th pick with it.

Reactions: McDoused

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Appreciate the breakdown. Sounds like we are getting a redo of Jesse Puljujarvi, but maybe a grittier version. I remember how determined he looked in his draft year, and was mad you guys picked him cause I figured he was going to be a pain in the rear for the Oilers to deal with for the next decade+. Shame he didn't quite put it together. Hope at the least he can be a reliable high energy depth guy.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Foegele has never really cut towards the net off the rush while it's all Podkolzin does.

No matter if Podkolzin pans out or not, seeing him take pucks to the net instead of button hooking back up the half-wall will be a breath of fresh air.
Watch his Carolina highlites, he reminded me of Erik Cole without finish when he played there. Similar to Pod based on some of his videos.

Reactions: McDoused

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Any time I've looked in the player looks lost mode. The player is 23 and hasn't shown any sign of figuring it out and has had 2 brutal seasons in a row. This is reclamation from bust territory now.

If Podkolzin was doing any of the bolded he might be in the lineup. He would be scoring too if he did any of that ever.

Perhaps why none of the coaches liked the player.
I'm not sure the processor is there. Good athleticism that delivers moments of potential but not enough to manifest with the consistency required of top six NHL play. I think he's resetting as a heavy game middle winger with skating and some skill. Will take that everyday for a 4th round lottery ticket.

Hopefully he embraces second chance ranch in Edmonton. Seems to have solid character and desire to be an NHL, not KHL player. Hopeful.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The one thing I worry about with him is the isolation he may face here. He had many Russian teammates last year in Vancouver, and won’t have any with the Oilers this year. And he’s a young guy playing on a team with mainly older vets that have significant others and families to go home to every night, so hoping he finds inclusion and a comfort level here. Our history with Russians isn’t exactly great.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not sure the processor is there. Good athleticism that delivers moments of potential but not enough to manifest with the consistency required of top six NHL play. I think he's resetting as a heavy game middle winger with skating and some skill. Will take that everyday for a 4th round lottery ticket.

Hopefully he embraces second chance ranch in Edmonton. Seems to have solid character and desire to be an NHL, not KHL player. Hopeful.
Sounds like another version of Kostin...sans the fighting.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The one thing I worry about with him is the isolation he may face here. He had many Russian teammates last year in Vancouver, and won’t have any with the Oilers this year. And he’s a young guy playing on a team with mainly older vets that have significant others and families to go home to every night, so hoping he finds inclusion and a comfort level here. Our history with Russians isn’t exactly great.

Apparently he stays in Vancouver even in the off-season, think he is committed to making it work in the NHL. He's married and has a kid too.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He seems pretty “Americanized” at this point. Kostin was a similar situation and he worked out, I think if you come in and you want to work hard that’s what is going to get you in with the team and staff. By all accounts, Podkolzin does work hard, he completes, can play with a defensive conscious and has some tools but the offense has stalled after a promising start. Vancouver has jerked this kid around, he’s had like 3 different coaches I’m pretty sure and had mostly been playing him in the bottom 6. If you can get his confidence going I think he could be a fine middle 6er and probably a fan favourite because of his play style.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Appreciate the breakdown. Sounds like we are getting a redo of Jesse Puljujarvi, but maybe a grittier version. I remember how determined he looked in his draft year, and was mad you guys picked him cause I figured he was going to be a pain in the rear for the Oilers to deal with for the next decade+. Shame he didn't quite put it together. Hope at the least he can be a reliable high energy depth guy.
Lol Jesse is the last player I'd compare him to

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lol Jesse is the last player I'd compare him to

In terms of being a player with lots of physical tools but looks lost and doesn't know where to go. Story of lots of first round picks that seem to have the physical dominance against other young players but can't figure out how to make their game work in the NHL.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Bob saying Podz will get first crack at a bottom 6 role due to the waiver eligibility. If he doesn’t turn out, we potentially lose him for nothing and the 4th pick with it.

Bit of a misdirection, the Oil don't have a ton of bodies directly gunning for a bottom 6 role.

The top 6 is locked in place with McDavid, Drai, RNH, Hyman, Arvidsson, and Skinner. Kane will be on the LTIR to start the season.

Leaves you with the 7 of Janmark, Henrique, Brown, Perry, Ryan, Podz, and Lavoie as the bottom 6 and PB forward.

Savoie, Hamblin, Jarventie, and Philps are all waiver-exempt, so having them start in Bakersfield and maximising depth makes more sense.

Pederson and Cags have an outside shot if Lavoie s**ts the bed in camp, or if Ryan or Perry suddenly decide to retire.

I imagine the Oil are going to carry 8 defencemen while they try and sort the right side.
I also suspect we'll see a PTO or two to a LHD (or at least a waiver claim), unless the Oil really like Gleason and Dineen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad