Confirmed with Link: [EDM/VAN] Oilers acquire Vasily Podkolzin for OTT 4th '25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah, I don’t really understand the trade from Vancouver’s POV unless they were absolutely certain he was getting waived (in the coach’s doghouse) and wanted a pick over nothing
It's a valid reason but they just made it easier for the Oilers to walk away from Holloway giving them a bit of a lifeline with another young player who is actually a good deal cheaper. The timing is just weird for them to do it right now and there's still a chance, albeit slim, that Podkolzin could break out at some point. I know I wouldn't want to make that trade with Vancouver if the roles were reversed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Probably matching Bro, not matching Holloway and putting Kane on LTIR.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I don't have current scouting reports bud. I read what is on the internet like everyone else. The consensus was that he was a powerful, fast skater, that being the reason why he was selected where he was.
That's why I asked. Canuck fans seem to indicate limited speed.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's between 0% and 0.5% it has nothing to do with Holloway. The two of them are gunning for the same spot.

Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Pod-Ryan-Perry

He should do well working with Perry, and I can see him stealing Janmark's spot with Rico and Brown pretty quickly. Though the lack of size in the bottom 6 (no one over 210) is a bit concerning.

It wouldn't be easy as it'd likely involve Janmark shifting to centre, but I'd love it this opened the door to bringing back Kostin.

Podkolzin-Henrique-Brown
Kostin-Janmark-Perry.
You are probably right.

What concerns me is that it sounds like the Canucks didn't think Podz was going to make the team and they aren't that deep.

That said, they probably thought he would be gone in the waiver draft and said hey let's get something for him.

Its interesting that no one on the Oiler threads (that I have read) suggests that Lavoie might be a cheaper alternative than Holloway. He's a very different style but perhaps might emerge as the better player.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I'm not convinced we're matching on Broberg yet.

Maybe, but if we were I imagine we'd just announce it. We have the cap to make that work.
I'm not convinced either, but not because it hasn't been announced. You may as well take the full 7 days and see what materializes. Maybe a deal for a RHD comes through, and letting Broberg go be overpaid elsewhere is the smarter move in that case.

I'm not convinced because 4.5m is a shit ton of money for the player, especially when we are asking other much better players to take discounts to stay.

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
Podz was bitching about his opportunity in Vancouver a little bit

"You see, I came to Vancouver at a time when the team was being rebuilt. Three coaches changed. Many factors played a role, and somewhere, maybe, I didn't show myself very well. But I know that I can play good hockey. And I will play it. For this, I need a little more trust, a little more playing time. But I signed a new contract with the Canucks until 2026. The best I could get in this situation. Now I have one desire — to prepare well, return to Vancouver and play good hockey." Podkolzin said.

He also needs waivers to be sent down and with all the FA wingers we picked up he wasn’t going to get the chance he thought he deserved.

Runs around a lot and hits but doesn’t read the play very well or create offence. Nucks fans more pissed because we could have taken Boldy. The last of the Benning flops

Reactions: David71

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Blues can get f***ed. Hope they’ll be happy with an overpaid Holloway who puts up 10 points.

I’m pretty convinced unless another trade goes down.

That's the thing - the door is still open and we're still looking at trades - otherwise we'd just announce that we're doing.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
That's why I asked. Canuck fans seem to indicate limited speed.
He's a fairly upright skater with limited 4-way speed and speed with the puck, but he's a good athlete. He came advertised as having good vision and a high offensive ceiling but outside of a few decent passes we've seen none of it. No real forechecking ability or limited-space skills, doesn't seem to create pressure or break up zone exits. It was an upside puck that our scouted were extremely excited about but it hasn't worked. He is fairly physical, very strong for his size and is willing to play defence, so I think he's a pretty good fit on a top-heavy team like yours.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Blues can get f***ed. Hope they’ll be happy with an overpaid Holloway who puts up 10 points.

I’m pretty convinced unless another trade goes down.
The fact that he has had so many injury woes may have been the deciding factor.

If Broberg walks then that's 4 guys with good speed gone from the lineup.

Reactions: Cloned

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
You are probably right.

What concerns me is that it sounds like the Canucks didn't think Podz was going to make the team and they aren't that deep.

That said, they probably thought he would be gone in the waiver draft and said hey let's get something for him.

Its interesting that no one on the Oiler threads (that I have read) suggests that Lavoie might be a cheaper alternative than Holloway. He's a very different style but perhaps might emerge as the better player.

Oh belive me, I've banged the Lavoie drum a few times this week.
:laugh:

With Podz added, I can see the two of them sharing the 4th line wing spot across from Perry during the first weeks of the season. The team can then evaluate from there.

In regards to why Vancouver moved on. I think a big part of it is because they didn't have a trusted centre-winger duo on the 3rd line that they could let him be the 3rd wheel. Even this offseason with a near clean slate after they blew up the Lindholm line, they signed Heinen and Sherwood on day one of free agency to go with Suter or Blueger.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
The fact that he has had so many injury woes may have been the deciding factor.

If Broberg walks then that's 4 guys with good speed gone from the lineup.
You are right. But like go look at Savoie, the guy actually uses his speed to the net. Mcleod was terrified of contact, Foegele was to inconsistent, Holloway showed it, I think they match Broberg.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Oh belive me, I've banged the Lavoie drum a few times this week.
:laugh:

With Podz added, I can see the two of them sharing the 4th line wing spot across from Perry during the first weeks of the season. The team can then evaluate from there.

In regards to why Vancouver moved on. I think a big part of it is because they didn't have a trusted centre-winger duo on the 3rd line that they could let him be the 3rd wheel. Even this offseason with a near clean slate after they blew up the Lindholm line, they signed Heinen and Sherwood on day one of free agency to go with Suter or Blueger.
Haha-- yes I guess there's two of us who keep questioning this Lavoie thing.

Kane will probably be out most of the year so when you look at the organization and ask "who is like him--big, snarly, with some offensive ability" then to me Lavoie is the only replacement that comes to mind and he's very cheap.

I'm also guessing that he might make it on the 4th line with Perry and perhaps they put Ryan on waivers instead. At age 37, I don't think there would be too many takers.

You are right. But like go look at Savoie, the guy actually uses his speed to the net. Mcleod was terrified of contact, Foegele was to inconsistent, Holloway showed it, I think they match Broberg.
Yup, starting to look that way. Go with a 20 man roster and Kane to LTIR and Broberg would just slide in under the ceiling.

BTW you can bet that the Oilers will be looking to even the score (no pun intended) with the Blues down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad