Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Paul Fischer, '28 3rd for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
This entire situation is an example of how inefficient offer sheets are for everybody.

The problem is that a trade was probably never possible, because if you're St.Louis you tip off Edmonton. Or, you pay a 1st+ for Broberg.

Ultimately, by leveraging salary cap, St.Louis got Broberg, Holloway, and a 5th for a 2nd, three 3rds, and a C prospect. Edmonton would never have accepted Broberg+Holloway for those picks in a trade back in July. So it comes down to whether the extra cap St.Louis spent was worth the discount from whatever price they would have had to pay for Broberg.

If Holloway wasn't their primary target, they could possibly flip him next year to recoup some of those picks. If he has a decent season and cements himself as an NHL, they can get a 2nd or a few 3rd round picks for him.
Holloway could get way more than a 2nd if he cements himself as a NHL player.

Alex Newhook, who imo is a lessor asset due to being a small winger vs. a big PF, got a late first and an early 2nd. Holloway for a future 3rd is unacceptable. Oilers should have just traded him for the newhook package during the draft.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
In the end these are free assets for Edmonton. STL didn't really have to give them up along with the 2nd + 3rd they gave up as compensation
Oh, I agree, buddy! I think it was a bluff by Bowman and Armstrong gave in to the bluff in order to somewhat smooth things over.

Just my opinion. Could be wrong.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Man if that's what they're counting on I think they'll be needing to make a trade around Christmas as opposed to the deadline
Oilers will test out Emberson, Stecher and Brown alongside Nurse and hope one of them stick.
Nurse-Kulak could also get a look as pairing. Kemp deserves a cup of tea in NHL as well with Wanner and Akey as long shots.

There will certainly be an add at trade deadline.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
My guess is the Oilers were 50/50 on matching one of the offer sheets and were in active discussion with STL on it, and at some point they agreed to incentivize no offer sheet with a marginal prospect and mid-round pick.

Maybe even just a good-faith offer by STL.

Fischer is much more than a "marginal" prospect. He actually has done much above expectations for a 5th in the year after draft. If there is a redraft today, he would likely be in the high 3rd round, or maybe even later in the 2nd.

While definitely not a can't miss prospect, a lot of people expect him to eventually challenge for a spot on the 3rd pairing, and with some minor possibility of even the 2nd pairing. He's more of your classic B-tier prospect, that's not flashy, but would round out quality depth in the organization.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Oilers have Ekholm, Nurse and Kulak for LD already. Broberg wasn't a regular NHLer last year. Ceci was a punching bag of these boards and everyone wanted him gone.
Oilers can go with the right side D of Bouchard, Stecher, Emerson and Brown to start the season and cruise to a 100pt+ season. They will add someone at trade deadline for playoffs.

Cruise to a 100pt season? Uhh they had basically everything go right for them last year. They were barely competitive for 1/3 of the season or do you expect the Oilers to basically never lose a game all year again?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Did Armstrong have a presser yet and address exactly why he made this additional and seemingly unneeded trade?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Thank you sir. And f*** Armstrong and the Blues. No offence.
I was just about to post the same. And no offense taken. Learn how to spell right!! j/k

This past week has been quite contentious between the two fan bases. Let's all try to decompress a bit. At least you got an extra 3rd, albeit a 2028, and P. Fischer, who is not some scrub.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I was just about to post the same. And no offense taken. Learn how to spell right!! j/k

This past week has been quite contentious between the two fan bases. Let's all try to decompress a bit. At least you got an extra 3rd, albeit a 2028, and P. Fischer, who is not some scrub.
Not the wrong spelling. It’s just British vs American English thing like color vs. colour. Probably the American version is more wrong like the dumb imperial system.

I haven’t really been part of whatever fanbase beefs as a result of these offersheets. There’s really no reason to beef. So agreed.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Cruise to a 100pt season? Uhh they had basically everything go right for them last year. They were barely competitive for 1/3 of the season or do you expect the Oilers to basically never lose a game all year again?
Everything go right?
They were at 30th spot before coaching change. I did not say 150pt season but said 100pt season so no they would not be winning all games next season.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Thank you sir. And f*** Armstrong and the Blues. No offence.

Yeah, likewise no offence taken. Completely agree with ChicagoBlues

I think some oiler's fans actually underestimate the value involved in this trade quite a bit, since they have no idea who Fischer is. He was actually an important prospect in the Blues' system, having recently raised his own stock by a lot. During his draft year, his stock crashed due to extenuating circumstances, which dropped him from a projected 2/3rd rounder to the 5th round.

But it has rebounded big time in the year since the draft, possibly even above his previous high. He plays with Buium a lot, so Zev's meteoric rise may account for some of that, but Fischer also seemed to have broken through to the next level. In a redraft, he would definitely be in the high 3rd range, if not into the 2nd round. He is not really a high potential type of prospect, but does a lot of thing well, and by his skillset and personal qualities, should be a pretty high likely candidate to make an NHL career for himself.

Difficult to find the comparable, but I'd like to think of him as a poor man's Bowemeester. Responsible player that has few weaknesses in his game, that skates very well, and can be physical. I had him penciled in, among the Blues' prospect pool, as one of the most likely to make it to the NHL, a very high floor type of guy. Although his ceiling is probably a 2nd / 3rd pairing tweener; maybe he can eventually do well as a steady partner to a high end PMD, if everything goes right.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Not the wrong spelling. It’s just British vs American English thing like color vs. colour. Probably the American version is more wrong like the dumb imperial system.

I haven’t really been part of whatever fanbase beefs as a result of these offersheets. There’s really no reason to beef. So agreed.
But but but 'Murica!!!!

Damn, Jackie!!!

Also, take joke and move on. Take care.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
That is easily a bottom 5 dcore
And they are #1 in Goals For the last four seasons combined.

They are kicking the can down the road, and will likely be scouting every defensemen worth his salt coming off of contract in the next 24 months. Why invest 6M+ per in Holloway when they need some of that to re-sign Draisaitl and can spend the rest on a proven top four D?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't think this 'trade' happens if Ceci for Emberson swap didn't happen giving Edmonton the cap space to match Broberg. STL would have no reason to give this up for nothing.

Oilers re couped the 3rd lost to SJ with this one.

Ceci + futures for Emberson + Fischer

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Paul Fischer was a good prospect in our pool. Solid left-handed defensive defenseman with the slight potential for more offense. Definitely outplayed his draft slot. But he was completely blocked with Theo Lindstein, Michael Buchinger, Lukas Fischer, Colin Ralph, Arseny Koromyslov, Quinton Burns, Leo Loof, Marc-Andre Gaudet, and now Philip Broberg all on the left side. We obviously weren't going to sign him out of college.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad