Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJS] Cody Ceci & EDM 3rd '25 <--> Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We weren't talking about who we fans choose to get mad at, but teammates. And I pointed out you drew a weird parallel.
Again, why would you be mad at guys for looking out for their own personal interests?

The two situations aren’t similar at all, Ekholm was an established 2-3 defender that was coming in a trade.

Holloway and Broberg are a couple kids who’ve barely played a full seasons worth of games and are forcing the teams hand on paying them 2-4x what their worth in a season where the team is doing everything possible to give themselves the best chance.

I’m sure guys in the room can accept why they did this and they’ll be professional about it but no doubt it changes the way a lot of the guys in the room look at these kids and Im sure that is in the back of Holloway and Brobergs mind knowing that their actions are putting a dent in the chances for the guys in the room.
That's stupid if true. You could point to any number of players in the room who should probably be making less. Hell their cap is squeezed by 3 mil due to Neal and Campbell not being here anymore.

At the end of the day, people will generally look out for themselves first. Broberg would've been braindead not to take that deal from STL for more reasons than just money.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
This Emberson fellow sounds like a decent player. He should be able to fill the hole Ceci left on the 3rd pairing and he's very young. Cheap contract too!
I didn't hate Ceci as much as the boards seemed to. Appreciate that he stuck to his role as a steady defender.
The most underrated part of Ceci's game was his ability to log those top 4 minutes, and not take penalties. Incredible how he consistently never racks up PIM. Coaches would love that.

Emberson seems like a good candidate to replace his role as a steady Defensive pressence at a cheaper cost. And maybe absorb his PK minutes.
Last years top PK were: Ekholm-Desharnai, Nurse-Ceci. We showed in the playoffs that we were fine without Desharnais on the PK... so likely it shifts to something like:
Ekholm-Emberson; Nurse-Broberg.
Most people didn't even "hate" Ceci. They mainly hated the pairing with him and Nurse. Seeing those guys stink it up in the playoffs shift after shift made us all want to gouge our eyes out with spoons. Ceci played much better with Kulak and is a useful player, just not a top 4 regular on a good team like Edmonton. I do wish the man well. He had some shining moments during his time here.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Embersons numbers weren’t great but compared to his team mates…. Could be a diamond in the rough here.

To be honest -4 over 30 games with the Sharks is almost unbelievable in a good way. They were giving up incredible amounts of goals, especially down the stretch when he would have mostly played.

I know absolutely nothing about this player, and haven't noticed him in the probably 1-3 Sharks games I watched where he may have been playing. He looks intriguing on paper though.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Thinking about everything in aggregate, if Edmonton doesn't match, the end result is Podkolzhin, Emberson, a 2nd round pick and as much as $8M in cap space for Holloway, Broberg, Ceci and 4th round pick.

While not amazing, it's actually not that bad in terms impact to the team for the regular season, and actually puts them in a decent spot for the deadline as they could accrue cap space with this alignment with Kane on the roster.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This Emberson fellow sounds like a decent player. He should be able to fill the hole Ceci left on the 3rd pairing and he's very young. Cheap contract too!

Most people didn't even "hate" Ceci. They mainly hated the pairing with him and Nurse. Seeing those guys stink it up in the playoffs shift after shift made us all want to gouge our eyes out with spoons. Ceci played much better with Kulak and is a useful player, just not a top 4 regular on a good team like Edmonton. I do wish the man well. He had some shining moments during his time here.
Don't know about Emberson until we see him in camp.

I've been a defender of Ceci for years. Nothing wrong with third pairing guys who can pk.

Difficulties occur when you expect that player to play 20 minutes a night... for years on end.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
There’s just no way, no way, the locker room would have any issues with Broberg signing for almost three times his own ask. They'll probably joke that he should make Armstrong his agent and congratulate him on his new deal. And making him pay for one expensive ass dinner on the first road trip.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Thinking about everything in aggregate, if Edmonton doesn't match, the end result is Podkolzhin, Emberson, a 2nd round pick and as much as $8M in cap space for Holloway, Broberg, Ceci and 4th round pick.

While not amazing, it's actually not that bad in terms impact to the team for the regular season, and actually puts them in a decent spot for the deadline as they could accrue cap space with this alignment with Kane on the roster.
And we move up in the 3rd round since I doubt STL will pass us in the standings.

Reactions: bone

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oilers can always waive Broberg in mid season if he's not good and do a side deal with the last place team

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Believe me I'd rather Nurse be out of here than Ceci but that's far less realistic.
You know if you keep saying stuff it doesn't make it true. Of course Nurse is overpaid.
Before the offer sheet Broberg was going to be the next Ekholm and Ceci wasn't an NHL Dman. Now Broberg is barely an NHL Dman and Ceci is an invaluable member of the team.
How many quality games has Broberg played for the Oilers? During his stint in the playoff he still made some errors.

Oilers can always waive Broberg in mid season if he's not good and do a side deal with the last place team
What are you talking about ? Forget that, I know what you're talking about and it's one in a million... and not even your original idea.

It was a dumb idea in the first place.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Preferred Kostin as return if trading Ceci to Sharks but oh well.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
To be honest -4 over 30 games with the Sharks is almost unbelievable in a good way. They were giving up incredible amounts of goals, especially down the stretch when he would have mostly played.

I know absolutely nothing about this player, and haven't noticed him in the probably 1-3 Sharks games I watched where he may have been playing. He looks intriguing on paper though.
He actually played earlier in year and not down stretch. He just got injured. He was a surprise to make the sharks team out of camp and not only made team but surprised to play top 4 minutes for them against all expectations.. But he got put on injured reserve in december with a lower body injury. He came back in january, played a few games before being sidelined a few more with an upper body injury. Then came back in february and his season was ended on injured reserve again with a lower body. Sorry i dont know specifics on the injuries cuz san jose was vague.

Looks like he may be decent but injury prone.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
He actually played earlier in year and not down stretch. He just got injured. He was a surprise to make the sharks team out of camp and not only made team but surprised to play top 4 minutes for them against all expectations.. But he got put on injured reserve in december with a lower body injury. He came back in january, played a few games before being sidelined a few more with an upper body injury. Then came back in february and his season was ended on injured reserve again with a lower body. Sorry i dont know specifics on the injuries cuz san jose was vague.

All true, so is Broberg. One thing after another. Same for Holloway, lots of injuries. Oilers sent him down, 4 games in, injured again. So not much different than what we have/had now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I read that one of the injuries was a laceration. I'm not worried about that type of injury recurring, but if it was a major one, like Kane's it could be a permanent injury.

Preferred Kostin as return if trading Ceci to Sharks but oh well.
We don't have the space, and I don't think he really ever made a case to be a long term piece in the locker room. He played well for us over stretches though, that's for sure. I wouldn't mind bringing him back, but he's overpaid right now, and SJ can't retain on any more players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The two situations aren’t similar at all, Ekholm was an established 2-3 defender that was coming in a trade.

Holloway and Broberg are a couple kids who’ve barely played a full seasons worth of games and are forcing the teams hand on paying them 2-4x what their worth in a season where the team is doing everything possible to give themselves the best chance.

I’m sure guys in the room can accept why they did this and they’ll be professional about it but no doubt it changes the way a lot of the guys in the room look at these kids and Im sure that is in the back of Holloway and Brobergs mind knowing that their actions are putting a dent in the chances for the guys in the room.
This is absolute bunk. The team hasn't given Broberg much of a chance to establish for years. They haven't trusted him with much, haven't given him many games and finally relented in playoffs because they needed a different look on D.

There hasn't been commitment from the Oilers to Broberg the whole time here. Yet you expect Bro to be unequivocally committed to the Oilers and hand back a lucrative offer sheet. lol you wouldn't do that yourself. You'd take the money.

The players are not forcing the teams hand they are benefitting from what is in the CBA, and from offersheets whereby another club is showing they have value. That could be in the back of their minds too.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This is absolute bunk. The team hasn't given Broberg much of a chance to establish for years. They haven't trusted him with much, haven't given him many games and finally relented in playoffs because they needed a different look on D.

There hasn't been commitment from the Oilers to Broberg the whole time here. Yet you expect Bro to be unequivocally committed to the Oilers and hand back a lucrative offer sheet. lol you wouldn't do that yourself. You'd take the money.
Real question. Ignore it at your own perill. Do you think if Broberg played in all 25 playoff games he would have made it through uninjured?

I'm genuinely surprised Holloway made it through 25 games uninjured and that's not me being sarcastic. That was some rough hockey in the first two rounds.

Reactions: oilers'72

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Gotta say this is closer to a hockey trade than a cap dump. Both teams get what they need. San Jose gets a quality veteran RD stabilizing presence for a rebuild franchise. Steps into PK and tough defensive situational minutes on an expiring contract.

Oilers get the cap space needed as a Cup window team and grab a value young RD known to their head coach and with NHL experience. Some latent potential. His Hartford season: TY EMBERSON NAMED AHL EAST’S BEST DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN IN PHPA PLAYER-VOTED AWARDS | Hartford Wolf Pack

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Fair to say the fans disliked Ceci's play AND disliked his play with Nurse even more. It was also a general view that nobody could carry Ceci and that any pairing was in some trouble with him on it. Last round not withstanding there were a lot of times where Ceci along with Desharnais were our most suspect D.

tbh I never really noticed Emberson in games so can't comment on him. But this is a nice dump of cap. Plus maybe Emberson based on his stats and career thus far turns into something.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad