Proposal: EDM / OTT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I have no idea how you are getting your numbers, you must have some rookies pencilled into the lineup or something. If you go on Capfriendly for next year, increase the cap by 1M, add Smith to the main team and demote the AHL guy that defaults as goalie, it shows 13M in cap space with a 14 man roster. That's with Klefbom on LTIR and not having signed JP/KY.

Well, yeah. The 14 players signed on Capfriendly doesn't include signed non-roster guys like Holloway, Broberg and Skinner who will likely be on the team.

164c2c358138eb3e814e92b54dd798ee.png

$10.5M to sign Pulju, Yamo, McLeod, a 13th forward and a 7th defenseman before moving Barrie, Kassian or Smith.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
So you are running Smith/Skinner in net (you can set your watch to the Smith injury), multiple rookies that you hope will make the team, a 22 man roster and filling in your bottom end with league min players.
Sounds worse to me than this year, don't get me wrong, as a Flames fan I'm good with it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So you are running Smith/Skinner in net (you can set your watch to the Smith injury), multiple rookies that you hope will make the team, a 22 man roster and filling in your bottom end with league min players.
Sounds worse to me than this year, don't get me wrong, as a Flames fan I'm good with it.

Like I said, the goaltending upgrade would depend on the cap from the Barrie and Kassian moves and also from Smith possibly LTIRetiring.

Holloway and Broberg aren't just some rookies. It'd be disappointing if they didn't make the team considering their pedigree.

And since when do teams not fill their bottom end with players near league minimum? haha

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Barrie, Turris, Benson for Paul, J. Brown and Murray @50%

No thanks from this Sens fan. Sens wouldn't retain on Murray and certainly wouldn't take 10+ mil back in bad salary in a position we don't need. And that ignores adding Paul, who should not be dealt.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Can't see Jesse on the move in a deal like this. He's got the most potential of all the pieces involved, and he's still just 23. Connor Brown is probably on a lot of teams radar's, but I don't think this proposal makes Edmonton better.

Ottawa gave up a 4th round pick to get Austin Watson, you don't think they'd jump if they were offered a 3rd for him?
So using that logic ottawa should be excited to trade batherson for a 3rd because they only used a 4th to get him?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I think the point he is making is that the Oilers are going to see some more ELC players on the roster next year who are highly touted prospects. Like most teams the Oilers are going to bring up their young guys when they're ready. They shouldn't be in the top pairing on defense or relied upon as a top center which are mistakes Edmonton have made in the past.

So $10.5 Million to resign Puljujarvi and Yamamoto (I think Yams gets dealt, but that is just me) and some bottom six positions is reasonable. Most important is using future picks or prospects to get a 1A goaltender and making room for him under the cap. That is really the main challenge here.

That doesn't mean the Oilers should make crappy trades because other teams fans want them to.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDNicks17

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
That doesn't mean the Oilers should make crappy trades because other teams fans want them to.
I didn't say they should make crappy trades. I was just countering the narrative that they have all these millions to sign those 2 players when the reality is that they need to sign a bunch of players to fill a bunch of holes. If the plan is to rely on rookies and league min guys that's fine.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I didn't say they should make crappy trades. I was just countering the narrative that they have all these millions to sign those 2 players when the reality is that they need to sign a bunch of players to fill a bunch of holes. If the plan is to rely on rookies and league min guys that's fine.

So you either think Yamo, Puljujarvi, and McLeod are gonna cost more than $9.5million or you think that our 13th forward and 7th defenseman should cost more than near league minimum?

Oilers aren't as desperate as you make them out to be (for better or for worse). They can either bury contracts or trade them at the TDL or offseason in order to free up space/acquire new faces.

Reactions: McDNicks17

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I think they need to move some money around. I think we agree on that. I don't see things quite as rosy as some fans do and not as dire as others. The narrative, for example, that Barrie will cost the Oilers something to move seems a bit disingenuous to me. If he were on their team posters would be saying "of course he has value, wth".

Kassian is another matter. His term and cost is higher than what he brings.

Someone will get moved but I think it is doable with a little work from Holland. If I can credit him with anything is that he seems to hold the line on contract renewals. He hasn't overpaid guys who re-up with the Oilers.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
So you either think Yamo, Puljujarvi, and McLeod are gonna cost more than $9.5million or you think that our 13th forward and 7th defenseman should cost more than near league minimum?

Oilers aren't as desperate as you make them out to be (for better or for worse). They can either bury contracts or trade them at the TDL or offseason in order to free up space/acquire new faces.
I never said any of those things, go back and follow the conversation.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I never said any of those things, go back and follow the conversation.

Yes you did. Followed the convo just fine.

You're assuming EDM is happy running with current goalies and that our team is complete after filling in with rookies and a few league min players.

...to which I again respond, not as deperate as you think and we have more than enough assets and cap space to make moves to upgrade/fill holes on the roster.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Codi Ceci and Duncan Keith in the top 4. Kassian as a top line winger. An injured Smith as the starting goalie . . . not hard to see why the Oilers are struggling.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I think they need to move some money around. I think we agree on that. I don't see things quite as rosy as some fans do and not as dire as others. The narrative, for example, that Barrie will cost the Oilers something to move seems a bit disingenuous to me. If he were on their team posters would be saying "of course he has value, wth".

Kassian is another matter. His term and cost is higher than what he brings.

Someone will get moved but I think it is doable with a little work from Holland. If I can credit him with anything is that he seems to hold the line on contract renewals. He hasn't overpaid guys who re-up with the Oilers.
That's a bit of a mixed bag really, he signed some reasonable contracts and some he overpaid on.
RNH and Hyman look reasonable but the term he gave them is huge.
Nurse and Kassian are way overpaid.
Personally I think Barrie is overpaid.
Anyway, this has all been argued dozens of times on here.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That is what Oilers and most other team have been doing in the cap world. Oilers signed Kane for 2M and have 10 players on the active roster who make less than him. Oilers have the core players locked up other than a Goalie and maybe Bouchard. Flames will likely feel the pinch in a year when some of the core players are making bigger money

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Codi Ceci and Duncan Keith in the top 4.

Kassian as a top line winger.

An injured Smith as the starting goalie . . . not hard to see why the Oilers are struggling

Can't argue with you about Keith and Ceci. They've actually been better than I figured they'd be, but I'd rather see them in the bottom pairing.

Kassian isn't a top six guy. He doesn't play that role very often anymore.

Smith is just coming back so we'll see how long his groin holds out. That is something which can get injured again really easily and even moreso as you get older.

Holland is hunting for a goaltender. No question about that from both fans and media.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Codi Ceci and Duncan Keith in the top 4. Kassian as a top line winger. An injured Smith as the starting goalie . . . not hard to see why the Oilers are struggling.
If Oilers are struggling then i am not sure what the term would be for Senators.
Ceci and Keith playing in top 4 are far from being an issue on the Oilers.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Yes you did. Followed the convo just fine.

You're assuming EDM is happy running with current goalies and that our team is complete after filling in with rookies and a few league min players.

...to which I again respond, not as deperate as you think and we have more than enough assets and cap space to make moves to upgrade/fill holes on the roster.
Okay, now try to quote me saying what I bolded in your quote.
Where did I say Yamo, Pulj and McLeod are going to cost more than 9.5M?
Where did I say they are happy with their current goalies? I specifically said they need to sign a #1 goalie early on in the thread.
I didn't say your 13th forward or 7th dman can't cost more than league min, I just said that is all the Oilers will have left to pay them.
The whole point of this started with "we have x millions to sign 2 players". If you are going to quote me follow the conversation.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Okay, now try to quote me saying what I bolded in your quote.
Where did I say Yamo, Pulj and McLeod are going to cost more than 9.5M?
Where did I say they are happy with their current goalies? I specifically said they need to sign a #1 goalie early on in the thread.
I didn't say your 13th forward or 7th dman can't cost more than league min, I just said that is all the Oilers will have left to pay them.
The whole point of this started with "we have x millions to sign 2 players". If you are going to quote me follow the conversation.

Mate, did you not just read the quote I posted of yours from this page? I even bolded the part where you address each one of your points above.

I'm not arguing about what you said earlier. I am litterally posting one of your most recent comments in the conversation which is in response to the salary cap post above it. Scroll to the top of page 4 and read the first two posts by McDNicks and then you and tell me anything I said doesn't make sense.

You're attempting to strawman me for some reason when all I did was join the conversation harmlessly lol

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If Oilers are struggling then i am not sure what the term would be for Senators.
Ceci and Keith playing in top 4 are far from being an issue on the Oilers.

That they're a building team that didn't meet expectations this season and for some reason insist on playing Josh Brown and Zaitsev on their blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad