Proposal: EDM / OTT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Barrie - 4.500
Puljujarvi - 1.175 RFA
Yamamoto - 1.175 RFA

for

C.Brown - 3.600
Watson - 1.500

If we are very conservative with RFA contracts...
Barrie (4.500) gets replaced by Broberg (0.900)
PoolParty (~2.750) gets replaced by C.Brown (3.600)
Yamamoto (~2.250) gets replaced by Watson (1.500)
Total saved: 3.500

Keep in mind the Oilers are likely to lose Yamamoto or PoolParty due to a cap crunch. This move should free up at least 3.500 for the Oilers once it's all said and done. Sens get 2 young guns they can use for the future, and a Dman significantly better than Mete, MDZ, and J.Brown.

Note: The Sens don't want to trade C.Brown, but I think his value is as high as it's going to get, and I don't see the re-signing a 30yr old C.Brown in 2yrs for 5.000+

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think the Oilers touch this. They'd sooner pay a pick or two to dump a contract and make room to re-sign Puljujarvi. Yamamoto won't need much of a raise.

Brown and Watson are both UFA after next season so this isn't exactly forward looking from Edmonton's perspective. The RFAs should be better value than those two at that point.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
This is risky but it could free the Oilers up to make a big splash at the deadline (Pavelski, Giordano, or Chychrun, etc.). Pavelski would be the most ideal as he is a big playoff performer and he can keep Kane in check (I remember when Kane first came to SJ, he gravitated towards Pavs first and there were never any issues until Pavs left). But we don't even know if Dallas will fall hard enough to be willing to trade Pavs. It's so risky, but there's also a chance to get a solid top2 dman.

I would do it because I'm a gambler but would Kenny Holland do it?

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
This is risky but it could free the Oilers up to make a big splash at the deadline (Pavelski, Giordano, or Chychrun, etc.). Pavelski would be the most ideal as he is a big playoff performer and he can keep Kane in check (I remember when Kane first came to SJ, he gravitated towards Pavs first and there were never any issues until Pavs left). But we don't even know if Dallas will fall hard enough to be willing to trade Pavs. It's so risky, but there's also a chance to get a solid top2 dman.

It may "free us up" to make a big splash, but it also opens up two more holes than we had prior to the splash.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It may "free us up" to make a big splash, but it also opens up two more holes than we had prior to the splash.

It might create a hole, but the top end talent increases and the hole leftover may possibly be filled internally. Imagine getting Giordano and then calling up Holloway. Plus C. Brown, Watson, Holloway hitting people. Oilers would be a team to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Why would we trade Barrie Jesse and Yams? If we trade Barrie, it's so that we can sign Jesse and Yams.

Awful proposal /thread.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I don't think this would free up enough cap to make a splash. We are already in LTIR, so we pretty much need dollar in, dollar out types of deals. The $3.5M remaining doesn't do enough... it would only help to use for a true #1 goalie (if Koskinen goes), but then why not just trade Pulju/Yams directly with the team offering a goalie?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Barrie - 4.500
Puljujarvi - 1.175 RFA
Yamamoto - 1.175 RFA

for

C.Brown - 3.600
Watson - 1.500

If we are very conservative with RFA contracts...
Barrie (4.500) gets replaced by Broberg (0.900)
PoolParty (~2.750) gets replaced by C.Brown (3.600)
Yamamoto (~2.250) gets replaced by Watson (1.500)
Total saved: 3.500

Keep in mind the Oilers are likely to lose Yamamoto or PoolParty due to a cap crunch. This move should free up at least 3.500 for the Oilers once it's all said and done. Sens get 2 young guns they can use for the future, and a Dman significantly better than Mete, MDZ, and J.Brown.

Note: The Sens don't want to trade C.Brown, but I think his value is as high as it's going to get, and I don't see the re-signing a 30yr old C.Brown in 2yrs for 5.000+

Poor value, IMO.

Pulju and Yama you have to keep IMO, unless you are trading one of them for a goalie. They both earn so little this year, they are like excellent self-rentals, even if we are going to lose one this summer. You can still get good value for RFA-years players in trade in the summer.

Even if on ice, Brown + Watson = Pulju + Yama (and I'm not sure that it is...)

Why do we go on to throw in Barrie? Just for cap shedding? I think we'd get rid of Kassian first. Barrie still has some utility.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think the value is way off on this deal for starters. It seems that this is another "we'll take Barrie and do you a favour" type deals. Which isn't his value.

We could work something around Barrie and Yamamoto for sure, but I don't have any interest in moving Pulujarvi at the moment.

Barrie and Yamamoto for a couple of crashers and bangers would be nice - one at 3RD and one at 3RW. Watson isn't a ton of interest to me. I like Brown but I'm not sold on him filling our biggest needs.

I might do Barrie and Yamamoto for both Connor Brown and Josh Brown, but we would need another piece to bring the value back in line, and I don't know what that piece is, nor do I think Ottawa is really looking to move futures yet.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
add zub and batherson then its a yes

Lol come on.

Bad proposal but come on.
I wouldn’t do just Puljujarvi for that. Watson has no value and while Barrie isn’t great I’m not willing to dump both our young RW’s just to get rid of him.

I think JP has more value than Brown, too.
Watson definitely has value and won't be dealt. Agreed it's a bad proposal.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The value is poor because you're not accounting for the extra cap space the Oilers get. That 3.500 could easily become 5.000+ which is something the Oilers have basically never had since signing Lucic.

It's what you do with that that evens things out. Could be the difference between signing Campbell instead of Koskinen 2.0

Never seen a bad deal when the team gets the best player in the deal AND unload salary but ok. Lol

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The value is poor because you're not accounting for the extra cap space the Oilers get. That 3.500 could easily become 5.000+ which is something the Oilers have basically never had since signing Lucic.

It's what you do with that that evens things out. Could be the difference between signing Campbell instead of Koskinen 2.0

Never seen a bad deal when the team gets the best player in the deal AND unload salary but ok. Lol

Ok. You guys send us Brady Tkachuk for Kailer Yamamoto. The value is in the cap savings, just look at how much cap Ottawa would have.

Sorry, but you don't give away good contracts (especially when 2 of the 3 are bargains at the moment) for "maybe cap space". You also don't give away defensemen who were on pace for 70 points just last year for nothing just to get the cap space.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ok. You guys send us Brady Tkachuk for Kailer Yamamoto. The value is in the cap savings, just look at how much cap Ottawa would have.

Sorry, but you don't give away good contracts (especially when 2 of the 3 are bargains at the moment) for "maybe cap space". You also don't give away defensemen who were on pace for 70 points just last year for nothing just to get the cap space.

If that's what you got from what I said, then you're a lost cause and there's no point in discussing it any further.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

Cap space doesn't matter if you are a bad team. Look in the mirror Sens fan.

Don't take it personally, just move on.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If that's what you got from what I said, then you're a lost cause and there's no point in discussing it any further.
If you'd rather take your ball and go home than try to talk it through that's okay. Or you could clarify, as you clearly suggested that there was value in the cap space in this deal, which I disagree with fully. Cap space is great when you get better players because of it. Adding cap space now at the expense of the quality of the team just makes no sense at all.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Cap space doesn't matter if you are a bad team. Look in the mirror Sens fan.

Don't take it personally, just move on.

Oilers fans are starting to sounds like Leafs fans. They never have cap but never admit it's a problem. IMO anyways.

As for taking things personally. I don't. I just don't talk to people that resort to 8yr old hyperbole talk, and generally just don't understand things (not referring to you).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad