Confirmed with Link: [EDM] Oilers extend Leon Draisaitl (8 Years, $14M AAV, NMC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So many unfamiliar names in this thread that I assumed I was on the main boards. It’s nice that we can finally scratch Leon’s name off the list of players that are going to bolt to Toronto the first or second or third chance they get. Hopefully next summer we can finally scratch Connor’s name off that list too.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don't think they can do Bouchard at 10. It's going to have to be like a 2 year bridge at 8.7 or something that takes him to UFA.

If you want to keep him after that, you probably have to dump Nurse in summer 2027.

You can't look down a 24 year old, RH shot #1 defenseman for a million dollars.

You make it work. If that means your #4, #5 and #6 have to be making collectively <4M, that's what needs to happen.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Guys almost making 200 million off playing hockey it's wild.
Meh doesn't sound like much after hearing yesterday Scheffler made 62mil this year from his tournament winnings

So many unfamiliar names in this thread that I assumed I was on the main boards. It’s nice that we can finally scratch Leon’s name off the list of players that are going to bolt to Toronto the first or second or third chance they get. Hopefully next summer we can finally scratch Connor’s name off that list too.
LD was more Boston than Toronto :laugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Glad to hear Drai is locked in. That's a win.

But not much discount and zero use of anything creative to get the cap down. That's an L.

An average signing. Still waiting for Bowman to do anything great.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can't look down a 24 year old, RH shot #1 defenseman for a million dollars.

You make it work. If that means your #4, #5 and #6 have to be making collectively <4M, that's what needs to happen.

Honestly they would've been just better off dumping Holloway + Broberg somewhere to someone who would've taken the Campbell contract off their hands clean.

The 2.3 and 2.6 cap penalty in the next two years hurts especially with Bouchard.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
First person that McDavid thanked as well when he signed his first 8 year deal. Both McDavid and Drai bring up the Katz family all the time as reasons they are happy in Edmonton. Katz might have reasons to not like him, but the players obviously think highly of the family.
They have 10's of millions (if not 100's of millions) of reasons to appreciate Katz and his family. :D

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

And this from Leon's fiancee.
But but but.. she's an actress so it'll mean Leon will sign elsewhere in the States.
giphy.gif

Okay but when is she going to force Leon to go to Hollywood so she can follow her dreams.

You might not like Bowman but man he's a lot easier to listen to than Holland.
He hasn't called our city a Toilet seat yet, that's a feather in his cap.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Glad to hear Drai is locked in. That's a win.

But not much discount and zero use of anything creative to get the cap down. That's an L.

An average signing. Still waiting for Bowman to do anything great.
Signing one of your superstars for 8 years is not an average move. Leon would've got 16-17 million in free agency. Whoever thought that Leon would take 12.5-13 million is nuts. It was always going to be over 13.5

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Signing one of your superstars for 8 years is not an average move. Leon would've got 16-17 million in free agency. Whoever thought that Leon would take 12.5-13 million is nuts. It was always going to be over 13.5
I'll wait for upcoming UFA years to see if that happens. As it stands, Drai is the highest paid player in the League. 12.5M was a pipedream. But 13-14M could have been in the cards.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
14x8=112

I then did 125÷8, which equals 15.8
130÷8=16.25

I wonder if this is the range McDavid signs for when it's time for his new deal

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
14x8=112

I then did 125÷8, which equals 15.8
130÷8=16.25

I wonder if this is the range McDavid signs for when it's time for his new deal
The Drai deal is now in the books and the 5.5M increase will be paid for in 2025-26 with no Brown bonus and the final remnants of the Lucic deal (James Neal buyout) finally in the rear view.

Now the Oilers have to find the cash for Bouchard which will also be a 5M? increase. This could take some more creativity but I'm assuming that they are already working it out on the spread sheet.

What is the cap estimate for 2025-26?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Drai deal is now in the books and the 5.5M increase will be paid for in 2025-26 with no Brown bonus and the final remnants of the Lucic deal (James Neal buyout) finally in the rear view.

Now the Oilers have to find the cash for Bouchard which will also be a 5M? increase. This could take some more creativity but I'm assuming that they are already working it out on the spread sheet.

I think we're assuming 92 million.

Bouchard is going to depend on what he wants long term. If he wants like 11 per to sign for 8, that's going to be difficult for the Oilers. They may have to bridge at 8.7x2 years which takes him to UFA.

That damn Campbell buyout of 2.3/2.6 mill cap penalties the next two years make it tight.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Probably like 92-93 I think

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So many Oilers fans here big mad that IN THEIR OPINION he’s overpaid by 0.5M…they’d be ok with 13.5 but 14 is just awful.

Time to take the rest of the offseason off from this place. Some of you just live to be miserable.
If I’m being honest, I was more upset the day he signed his previous contract. After all these years I finally understand that’s the price you have to pay to keep those guys. The important thing is being able to convince these guys that they want to stay and we’ve done that with Draisaitl. Hopefully next summer it happens with McDavid.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Said this was a blank cheque signing and didn't worry about it getting done. Was about where the price tag was going to land. Win. Win. Win. The Oilers ownership have their franchise valuation move exponentially from its $170 million 2008 purchase price to over a $1.25 billion and among league drivers in revenue in the McDavid and Draisaitl window era. Draisaitl gets a market leading contract weighted with signing bonus dollars which mitigates against prospective lockout losses. Builds upon a previous fair market deal that he crushed quickly. Fans win with its first ever super elite retained for duration of all productive career years with the even bigger fish to follow in a year.

The big pieces will all be in place. Now comes the work that Bowman was hired to deliver in terms of finding affordable support pieces to ensure a competitive, deep roster required to win. The McLeod trade was a great example of hard decisions with a soft landing returning a high pedigree first round cost controlled talent to buoy a poor prospect pool.

A very big day with really the only question 'how much' finally answered.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think we're assuming 92 million.

Bouchard is going to depend on what he wants long term. If he wants like 11 per to sign for 8, that's going to be difficult for the Oilers. They may have to bridge at 8.7x2 years which takes him to UFA.

That damn Campbell buyout of 2.3/2.6 mill cap penalties the next two years make it tight.
Yes very tight. I might get skewered for this but I think that to make it work then Kane gets bought out and Jeff Skinner is replaced with a cheaper player.

Of course, if the cap is moving up to 92M then that makes it a lot easier. Its obviously tied to revenue projections but projections are just that- you can't put too much faith in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad