Proposal: (EDM) Nail Yakupov for (TOR) Connor Brown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
No thanks...Brown isn't going anywhere unless in a package for a top 4 D.

Holland for Yak seems more than fair.

But honestly as a Leaf fan...I don't want Yak.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
With Hall gone, I think the Oilers should keep Yakupov and put him in a role he was drafted for.
If the owner wanted him that badly, correct me if I'm wrong Oiler fans that Katz made that decision, then get him in a top 6 scoring role and let him do what made him a 1st overall.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
With Hall gone, I think the Oilers should keep Yakupov and put him in a role he was drafted for.
If the owner wanted him that badly, correct me if I'm wrong Oiler fans that Katz made that decision, then get him in a top 6 scoring role and let him do what made him a 1st overall.

Pretty much this. Just my opinion, but I see the lines shaping up like this:

1st line: Lucic-McDavid-Eberle

2A: Maroon-Nuge-Puljujarvi

2B: Pouliot-Drai-Yak

The reason I list them 2A/2B is because both lines have high end 2C's. This will be the first time where Yak will get the best of both world's - he'll get soft QoC and favourable zone starts AND he'll have a talented center. He only seemed to get one or the other in previous years. Obviously this does little to sell him in terms of trade value (a player embarking on his 5th season and still needing sheltering), but I'm not interested in trading him anyway.

He's a guy that needs confidence behind his game. Part of that will be aided by Taylor Hall's absence in the dressing room. The other will be the added opportunity in the absence of Hall. I think Drai is an ideal match for a linemate. Yak's also had previous chemistry with Pouliot.

I think 25 goals is a realistic expectation. Not great for a player with obvious flaws (hockey IQ, defensive awareness and positioning), but if he can be an even player in terms of what he creates vs what he gives up, I'll consider it a success.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
No interest in Yak what so ever. He is horrendous defensively, which might be something a team could stomach if he was elite offensively, but elite he is not. Tons of skill with no idea how to put it all together, his offensive production is average at best thus far. See no point in trading a prospect who is trending upwards for a player who has done nothing but disappoint. Yak will most likely go down as the next big 1st overall bust after Alex Daigle.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Pretty much this. Just my opinion, but I see the lines shaping up like this:

1st line: Lucic-McDavid-Eberle

2A: Maroon-Nuge-Puljujarvi

2B: Pouliot-Drai-Yak

The reason I list them 2A/2B is because both lines have high end 2C's. This will be the first time where Yak will get the best of both world's - he'll get soft QoC and favourable zone starts AND he'll have a talented center. He only seemed to get one or the other in previous years. Obviously this does little to sell him in terms of trade value (a player embarking on his 5th season and still needing sheltering), but I'm not interested in trading him anyway.

He's a guy that needs confidence behind his game. Part of that will be aided by Taylor Hall's absence in the dressing room. The other will be the added opportunity in the absence of Hall. I think Drai is an ideal match for a linemate. Yak's also had previous chemistry with Pouliot.

I think 25 goals is a realistic expectation. Not great for a player with obvious flaws (hockey IQ, defensive awareness and positioning), but if he can be an even player in terms of what he creates vs what he gives up, I'll consider it a success.

I'd have them as:

1st line: Lucic - McDavid - Yak - McDavid and Yak have chemistry from when they've played together, and Lucic is Lucic.

2A: Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle - Proven chemistry from previous season.

2B: Maroon - Draisatil - Puljujarvi - Big and heavy, average 6'2.7", 215lbs+.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
God no. Brown has been progressing very well why would we trade a guy thats doing everything you hoped for a guy that has **** the bed. yak is now more likely to be traded for a 3rd round pick or another under preforming player.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
No thanks...Brown isn't going anywhere unless in a package for a top 4 D.

Holland for Yak seems more than fair.

But honestly as a Leaf fan...I don't want Yak.

lmao in what world would Brown in a package get you a top 4 Dman? Unless Kadri is the basis for the trade than keep dreaming.

Why would the Oilers trade a player who has actually put up points in the NHL for a small 6th rounder who has done exactly nothing in the Nhl. Oh I forgot he's leafs property so he's automatically over valued to the extreme.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'd have them as:

1st line: Lucic - McDavid - Yak - McDavid and Yak have chemistry from when they've played together, and Lucic is Lucic.

2A: Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle - Proven chemistry from previous season.

2B: Maroon - Draisatil - Puljujarvi - Big and heavy, average 6'2.7", 215lbs+.

Can't argue with that either, other than the fact I think McDavid is most dangerous with a RH shooting option to go cross ice to. That, and McDavid is going to see the toughest match ups, leaving a greater chance to expose Yak defensively/positionally. Do you want Yak on the ice against forwards like Kopitar/Kesler or Clifford/Horcoff? Do you want Yak defended by Giordano/Doughty or Wideman/McCabe?

I'm all about creating mismatches with our offensive depth. Yak isn't good positionally, but he's excellent as first man in on the forecheck. I want him terrorizing slow D men retrieving dump ins. He won't ever see those guys if he's on the ice with McDavid.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
intriguing, but in the end leafs probably pass.
Brown has continued to rocket up the prospect ranks while yakupov has been one of the least productive #1 picks in recent memory.

Komarov for Yakupov + would make a bit of sense, but the plus would have to be significant. Komarov looks to be a potential 20g/40pt guy that can hit and kill penalties. those types are pretty valuable

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
lmao in what world would Brown in a package get you a top 4 Dman? Unless Kadri is the basis for the trade than keep dreaming.

Why would the Oilers trade a player who has actually put up points in the NHL for a small 6th rounder who has done exactly nothing in the Nhl. Oh I forgot he's leafs property so he's automatically over valued to the extreme.

Well Brown hasn't exactly done nothing, he played 7 games last season scoring 6 points.

But I share your point of view. The two of them are the same age, drafted in the same year. I know Yak has been underwhelming but he's still done more then Brown to this point and still has more upside.

Ask 30 NHL gm's who they would take if they could have Yak or Brown for free and I bet you get the same answer 30 times.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
What makes Brown such a solid prospect? I happened to watch a lot of Brown in Erie and he was never anything special especially considering his best year came as an overeager in his 4th season in the OHL. He's been close to a ppg player in the AHL but I could make you a list of players with the exact same career trajectory putting up good junior numbers and then pretty good AHL numbers, teams prospect pools are littered with players like that. When you are drafted in the 5th and 6th round you're basically worth a 5/6 round pick until you actually show you can contribute at the NHL level on a consistent basis.

you watched brown that much, but didnt even realize he only played 3 seasons and his "overage" season he was in the AHL leading all rookies in scoring.

2014:OHL scoring leader
2015:AHL rookie scoring leader
2016: 18g/20A/38pts in 49 games AHL, 6 pts in 7 NHL games

teams prospect pools are littered with former scoring champions, AHL all stars, young guys that have impressed early on in the NHL?
I call BS

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

yakupov has just 111 pts in 252 games and is arguably the worst defensive forward in the league.

the "he has actually put up points" argument is pretty lame.
so yak> matthews right?

leafs offer Holland for Puljujarvi. Holland has actually put up pts in the NHL of course

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Can't argue with that either, other than the fact I think McDavid is most dangerous with a RH shooting option to go cross ice to. That, and McDavid is going to see the toughest match ups, leaving a greater chance to expose Yak defensively/positionally. Do you want Yak on the ice against forwards like Kopitar/Kesler or Clifford/Horcoff? Do you want Yak defended by Giordano/Doughty or Wideman/McCabe?

I'm all about creating mismatches with our offensive depth. Yak isn't good positionally, but he's excellent as first man in on the forecheck. I want him terrorizing slow D men retrieving dump ins. He won't ever see those guys if he's on the ice with McDavid.

Edmonton's style of attack is changing - moving to a Boston/San Jose style. It's easier for the wingers to defend than in the 5 man (swarm) system.

From what I've seen and read, it sounds like it's going to be a system which I knew as the 2-1-2 forecheck.

A centre (McDavid) gains the defensive blue line, and skates to the middle of centre. He enters middle ice with speed. He can either enter the zone, or dump the puck to a corner. Say he dumps it to the left (right defender,) F1 (Lucic,) enters the zone, closing on the defender. His job is to prevent the up ice pass, and close quickly on the defender retrieving the puck in the corner. He's OK with an off the glass clear.

The centre (F2, McDavid) comes hard through the slot. He prevents the cross seam pass, and creates a 2 on 1 in the corner.

The winger (F3) comes in high in the slot to keep the other defender pinned to the front of the net, and not coming to support. This is the Eberle/Yakupov/Puljujarvi slot. Wins from the corner come to the defenders or F3.

Edmonton has the heavy players needed to play that system, and the skilled centers in McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH. Makes the coverage easier, and should help players like Yakupov.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Edmonton's style of attack is changing - moving to a Boston/San Jose style. It's easier for the wingers to defend than in the 5 man (swarm) system.

From what I've seen and read, it sounds like it's going to be a system which I knew as the 2-1-2 forecheck.

A centre (McDavid) gains the defensive blue line, and skates to the middle of centre. He enters middle ice with speed. He can either enter the zone, or dump the puck to a corner. Say he dumps it to the left (right defender,) F1 (Lucic,) enters the zone, closing on the defender. His job is to prevent the up ice pass, and close quickly on the defender retrieving the puck in the corner. He's OK with an off the glass clear.

The centre (F2, McDavid) comes hard through the slot. He prevents the cross seam pass, and creates a 2 on 1 in the corner.

The winger (F3) comes in high in the slot to keep the other defender pinned to the front of the net, and not coming to support. This is the Eberle/Yakupov/Puljujarvi slot. Wins from the corner come to the defenders or F3.

Edmonton has the heavy players needed to play that system, and the skilled centers in McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH. Makes the coverage easier, and should help players like Yakupov.

yak will be fine if he plays on mcdavids line. take him off and his stats are just hideous

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
yak will be fine if he plays on mcdavids line. take him off and his stats are just hideous

It's not just McDavid's line... it's with an offensive-minded center. He played well with Roy as well. Just stop playing him with the likes of Letestu and Lander at center. Hall didn't do too well playing with our 3rd line (most team's 4th line) center for a 5 game stretch either.

Yak has played worse than his draft position. Brown has played better than his draft position. Take draft position away as it is irrelevant in this debate.

Yak > Brown today - you can't ignore the fact that they were drafted in the same draft year - one has proven himself to be an NHL player, although still a bit of an unknown as to exactly where should fit in an NHL line-up.

Admittedly, next year could be a different story. I see both players as having an upside if used effectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad