Proposal: Edm / Mtl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yup watched Oil game last night. With all the turmoil in Leon interview I wanted to watch Oil. You got good team, came out flying. Switch goalies Oil Cup contender, with west wide open. Could tell as Cats good team. K should of had Barkov goals, especially 2nd one, could see Oil bench sag after that.

But you waited too late to address netminding. Wasting prime year of McDavid. That mistake likely going to cost you a playoff spot, Oil be buried in standings by trade deadline. Dealing for a rental goalie likely not answer. As just have to trade again in summer for one. Other team likely going to want to bend you over barrel for even a rental goalie.

McLeod maybe interesting. Never heard of him before. That's one of the benefits of watching a team I never watch. McLeod could be a player we take instead of a 3rd round pick. If you want to move a K contract at deadline? McLeod has speed, decent size, 30-40 point hands. Looks like bottom 6 center with some upside. Faceoffs generally improve after few years in NHL.
McLeod is a recent 2nd round pick who is playing his way up the roster. Moving him in place of a 2nd would be awful asset management. He's also the only possible 3C we have in the system right now as our prospect forwards are basically all wingers. Still don't want to deal with Monreal. Your goalies are just as awful as ours this year with Price and Allen both out.

Reactions: TFHockey

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't know who you are referring to, but if it is Nurse, then you are on glue. Nurse was about the only Oiler who has looked great consistently over the past 10 games. Last night he was good.
He did look good last night. But that doesn't make him worth his upcoming contract. He's grossly overpaid for what he brings on a consistent basis. 2M overpaid.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Your goalies are just as awful as ours this year with Price and Allen both out.

"If you take out your goaltenders 1 and 2 you are as bad as us" is one of the saddest thing I've recently read lol

If MonTankBeault is the measuring stick, we have a problem, Houston

Reactions: Mez

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
"If you take out your goaltenders 1 and 2 you are as bad as us" is one of the saddest thing I've recently read lol

If MonTankBeault is the measuring stick, we have a problem, Houston
Well our #1 and #2 are out as well, Smith with a recurring string of injuries, and Skinner with COVID. Koskinen is still here, but he's fallen to #3 on our depth chart (I hope) Our 1 isn't close to the same level as yours though, obviously.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He did look good last night. But that doesn't make him worth his upcoming contract. He's grossly overpaid for what he brings on a consistent basis. 2M overpaid.
Maybe. I would suggest that all of the four that got those massive deals are likely overpaid by 1 - 2 M (Werenski, Jones, Hamilton, Nurse). That's what happens when the market blows up.

Reactions: TFHockey

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
McLeod is a recent 2nd round pick who is playing his way up the roster. Moving him in place of a 2nd would be awful asset management. He's also the only possible 3C we have in the system right now as our prospect forwards are basically all wingers. Still don't want to deal with Monreal. Your goalies are just as awful as ours this year with Price and Allen both out.
What you going to do throw the season away?

SegaChanneller

Jan 22, 2022
After this season McD has 4 more and Drai has 3. I can't see them waiting that long.

Perhaps, but I feel a trade won't work because:

1. The Oilers would have no leverage. Every GM is going to give them the worst deals imaginable. It'll be the NHL's version of the Ben Simmons fiasco. He hasn't been dealt yet because there's no team with the assets to trade for him and that needs him. The Sixers seem like they've just forgotten about him entirely to boot, and that's not a good look. I think it'd be the same for McDrai. Other teams will likely just bide their time.

2. Would Katz allow Holland and company to even consider the option? If McDrai told them "yeah, we want out," is he going to just say well, begone? I'm tempted to think he wouldn't care considering he's spent the past decade plus letting the team rot and all, but who knows? Maybe this would be the epiphany he sorely needs? Maybe he'd tell the Oilers brass look, we need to do anything and everything to keep them here?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Perhaps, but I feel a trade won't work because:

1. The Oilers would have no leverage. Every GM is going to give them the worst deals imaginable. It'll be the NHL's version of the Ben Simmons fiasco. He hasn't been dealt yet because there's no team with the assets to trade for him and that needs him. The Sixers seem like they've just forgotten about him entirely to boot, and that's not a good look. I think it'd be the same for McDrai. Other teams will likely just bide their time.

2. Would Katz allow Holland and company to even consider the option? If McDrai told them "yeah, we want out," is he going to just say well, begone? I'm tempted to think he wouldn't care considering he's spent the past decade plus letting the team rot and all, but who knows? Maybe this would be the epiphany he sorely needs? Maybe he'd tell the Oilers brass look, we need to do anything and everything to keep them here?

Eichel got traded??

If a player demands out it usually happens. Maybe slower with these 2 but I could see it.

SegaChanneller

Jan 22, 2022
Eichel got traded??

If a player demands out it usually happens. Maybe slower with these 2 but I could see it.

Yeah, but that's just Jack Eichel. Him getting traded doesn't have the same impact. The Sabres are still the Sabres. It's just another day to them.

Trading McDavid is essentially Gretzky 2.0. Many in Edmonton are already just barely holding on, interest-wise. You trade McDavid, and fan interest across the board irreversibly plummets, especially with the likely unimpressive haul coming back. I mean, don't get me wrong, I could see it happening too, but I think overall it's just not likely. Why gut your team when you can just wait till he's a free agent and sign him to a team-friendly contract?

OB5

May 2, 2015
Edm: Taffoli and Chariot
Mtl: Xavier Bourgault and Raphael Lavoie or Holloway and 2021 1st

Mtl gets quality prospects and Edm gets two experienced players for their playoff run. If salary is an issue then Barrie could be worked out in the deal or salary held back from Mtl.
Who is Taffoli?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
After this season McD has 4 more and Drai has 3. I can't see them waiting that long.
I can. Especially McDavid. Asking out will certainly have a negative impact on his reputation which could affect his endorsements a lot. Plus he risks being traded somewhere like Aeizona where endorsement money would basically dry up completely.

Dwalexa1023

Jan 16, 2022
Yeah, but that's just Jack Eichel. Him getting traded doesn't have the same impact. The Sabres are still the Sabres. It's just another day to them.

Trading McDavid is essentially Gretzky 2.0. Many in Edmonton are already just barely holding on, interest-wise. You trade McDavid, and fan interest across the board irreversibly plummets, especially with the likely unimpressive haul coming back. I mean, don't get me wrong, I could see it happening too, but I think overall it's just not likely. Why gut your team when you can just wait till he's a free agent and sign him to a team-friendly contract?

I don't understand how you think McDavid is signing anywhere as a free agent to a team friendly contract, if he ever makes it to free agency I'm sure he'll get 7 years by whatever the Max is at the time 14/15 million... cause I'd bet Toronto would offer that, and anyone else would have to match it

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I can. Especially McDavid. Asking out will certainly have a negative impact on his reputation which could affect his endorsements a lot. Plus he risks being traded somewhere like Aeizona where endorsement money would basically dry up completely.

so you think he will take losing for 4 more years to make a few extra bucks in endorsements? I highly doubt it.

I don't look at Eichel any worse for asking out of Buffalo. In fact I respect him more for getting out of that tire fire while he could.

McDavid would be no different. He might lose respect in Edmonton but he would gain even more from everywhere else.....

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
so you think he will take losing for 4 more years to make a few extra bucks in endorsements? I highly doubt it.

I don't look at Eichel any worse for asking out of Buffalo. In fact I respect him more for getting out of that tire fire while he could.

McDavid would be no different. He might lose respect in Edmonton but he would gain even more from everywhere else.....
Eichel is a completely different story...he didnt leave because they sucked. he left because they were sabotaging his physical recovery.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Asking out would have no impact on McDavid's endorsements and depending on market could increase them significantly. He's the most marketable player in the game because of his dominance. And let's face it, Edmonton and Arizona are both small markets. Imagine if McDavid was playing in a big US market...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad