Proposal: Edm / Mtl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
While I disagree with the notion Barrie is anything but a cap dump, I have to admire the tenacity that EDM fans defend him in all these trade threads. I wish more fan bases stood behind their players as much tbh

Lol...

First in NHL scoring for defensemen last year.
73rd in cap hit among defensemen

I'm a defensive-minded fan/player myself, but you cannot tell me that the offensive defenseman who scored THE MOST in the league and is 73rd in salary is a cap dump. Offensive defensemen still have a legit role in this league.

Please don't tell me he was leaching off McDrai on the power play. He was 8th among defensemen in points at EV.

There is a role for that guy on almost any team in the league.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'm not interested in Chairot based on his valuation in these boards. I would have interest in Toffoli. Hockey trade, Toffoli for Barrie as a starting point. I know Habs fans will be offended at that, but Barrie is a good fit for Montreal. They need someone with his puck moving ability on the blueline desperately.

I'm also not sold on the Habs doing a scorched earth rebuild the way that fans are expecting. If they are wanting a fast turnaround on their retool, their GM won't just he targeting prospects in trade.
If Barrie is your starting point than you better close her up.
Barrie. :facepalm:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lol...

First in NHL scoring for defensemen last year.
73rd in cap hit among defensemen

I'm a defensive-minded fan/player myself, but you cannot tell me that the offensive defenseman who scored THE MOST in the league and is 73rd in salary is a cap dump. Offensive defensemen still have a legit role in this league.

Please don't tell me he was leaching off McDrai on the power play. He was 8th among defensemen in points at EV.

There is a role for that guy on almost any team in the league.

Barrie is a good player with some bad aspects, but he's the kind of player that will be a huge add if a team needs him in a certain role (Montreal being among them). But if a team already has a puck moving top pair D and a #1 defenseman for their powerplay, they probably don't need Barrie unless they are looking specifically to upgrade those areas. Montreal could certainly benefit from having him though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Barrie isn’t a piece a rebuilding team should have any interest in
Is Montreal really going to be satisfied with a scorched earth rebuild though? I don't think so. They'll be happy to lose for the rest of the year, and then will do everything they can to improve the team for next year, including trying to get Price healthy and in net, and looking for some pieces to help fill the gaps.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Any team with Chris Wideman not only in the lineup, but getting powerplay time, has no business looking oddly at Tyson Barrie. He'd be far and away the best option for the Habs on the blueline on the powerplay. You just need to shelter him 5 on 5.

It not about whether or not Barrie can contribute in the Habs lineup, it's that if we're rebuilding (which it sure looks like we are), why would we need Barrie? If we make a trade (whether it be with the Oilers or not), I want prospects or draft picks.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It not about whether or not Barrie can contribute in the Habs lineup, it's that if we're rebuilding (which it sure looks like we are), why would we need Barrie? If we make a trade (whether it be with the Oilers or not), I want prospects or draft picks.
Even rebuilding teams need some quality players. The GM has to at least try to get NHL caliber players on the ice. Even if they're happy losing a lot, ending with 50 points and in the draft lottery, no team wants to build up the loser mentality that comes with having your core surrounded by a bunch of bums that should be in the AHL (or lower). Trust me, I'm an Oiler fan, I saw how buring everything to the ground can kill the development of young core pieces. The last thing Montreal wants is to get its guys like Suzuki and Caufield accepting that they are on a team that will lose most nights. That loser stink seeps in and is hard to get out.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Even rebuilding teams need some quality players. The GM has to at least try to get NHL caliber players on the ice. Even if they're happy losing a lot, ending with 50 points and in the draft lottery, no team wants to build up the loser mentality that comes with having your core surrounded by a bunch of bums that should be in the AHL (or lower). Trust me, I'm an Oiler fan, I saw how buring everything to the ground can kill the development of young core pieces. The last thing Montreal wants is to get its guys like Suzuki and Caufield accepting that they are on a team that will lose most nights. That loser stink seeps in and is hard to get out.

Listen, I get your point. The Habs have been hit by a huge combination of COVID, injuries and just plain bad luck. The team is not as bad as the point total reflects. They're obviously not a good team by any stretch of the imagination, but they can definitely win more games then they have this season so far.

My whole point being that why trade a prime UFA asset that can garner a decent draft pick or prospect, for a player that we don't necessarily need for our rebuild.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Listen, I get your point. The Habs have been hit by a huge combination of COVID, injuries and just plain bad luck. The team is not as bad as the point total reflects. They're obviously not a good team by any stretch of the imagination, but they can definitely win more games then they have this season so far.

My whole point being that why trade a prime UFA asset that can garner a decent draft pick or prospect, for a player that we don't necessarily need for our rebuild.
Well, I don't think the Habs are looking to rebuild personally. I think they're going to want to do what they can to make the playoffs next year. That will include turning over a great deal of the defense core, and probably looking at a guy like Barrie on the free agent market anyway. But one who probably gets paid more. ;)

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Is Montreal really going to be satisfied with a scorched earth rebuild though? I don't think so. They'll be happy to lose for the rest of the year, and then will do everything they can to improve the team for next year, including trying to get Price healthy and in net, and looking for some pieces to help fill the gaps.
They can get veteran players that aren’t 30 already. If he was a Hab he’d be the kind of player they’d be looking to move out.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Well, I don't think the Habs are looking to rebuild personally. I think they're going to want to do what they can to make the playoffs next year. That will include turning over a great deal of the defense core, and probably looking at a guy like Barrie on the free agent market anyway. But one who probably gets paid more. ;)

I guess nobody knows for sure what the plan is, but you'll get a pretty unanimous answer from Habs fans on these boards, we want a full rebuild. We're willing to suffer for a few years. Anyways, I hope for the fans that the Oilers can make something happen during these prime years of McDavid and Draisatl.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Any team with Chris Wideman not only in the lineup, but getting powerplay time, has no business looking oddly at Tyson Barrie. He'd be far and away the best option for the Habs on the blueline on the powerplay. You just need to shelter him 5 on 5.

Lol we're tanking this year, and not team that wants to compete will ever pay 4,5 freaking millions to a guy like Barrie, who is a bit better than Wideman, but not that much better

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
We are going into a full rebuilt. Barrie is 30. W have no intrest in him unless he's a throw in for a cap purpose and that will just cost you more.
We wouldn't take him for free.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Counter which I think is pretty good value for Edmonton.

:edmonton
Xavier Bourgault
1st 2022
Koskinen
Zach Kassian
Raphael Lavoie

:habs
Chiarot at 50%
Jake Allen
Tyler Toffoli

1st + Lavoie + 4th + cap dump Turris (pending ufa) for Toffoli (50% retained)

Zero interest in moving a prospect like Bourgault unless it's in a package for a guy like Chychrun.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

Zero interest in moving a prospect like Bourgault unless it's in a package for a guy like Chychrun.

doesn’t seem like a good enough return for Montreal considering Edmonton gets a top 6 winger for $2.1m for 2 1/2 seasons and get to dump Turris (essentially giving them Toffoli for $500k this year)

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
lol

Toffoli turns 30 in a couple months, and still has another 2 years of 4.25M AAV after this season and Chiarot is a UFA this summer
for
2 of Edmonton's best young high profile prospects, with 3 years of less than a mil AAV, and a 1st round pick, which will equate to yet another high profile prospect. Those 3 assets could make up a core, a cornerstone trio to build around

lol

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

So a 1st and a bunch of garbage for 50% retained on Toffoli. Get out of here.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I already did.
What did you offer for Toffoli? So many posts on here I must have missed it.

Flames offering a 1st in '22, 2nd in '24 and Pitlick. With no retention on Toffoli.

If you can't match their offer. We can take on contract. Maybe Smith, Koskinen and your first in '22 for Allen at 50% retained? Frees up 5 million in caproom for Oil to add another goalie or defenseman. We need time to complete Toffoli trade first and deal Chiarot though. To free up the caproom

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Flames offering a 1st in '22, 2nd in '24 and Pitlick. With no retention on Toffoli.

If you can't match their offer. We can take on contract. Maybe Smith, Koskinen and your first in '22 for Allen at 50% retained? Frees up 5 million in caproom for Oil to add another goalie or defenseman. We need time to complete Toffoli trade first and deal Chiarot though. To free up the caproom

Dude, Allen isn't an upgrade on Koskinen. They are basically the same goalie; a mediocre back up. Asking for a 1st? Geeeez.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

We could match their offer but I wouldn't as I feel it's an overpay. Calgary's GM wouldn't make that trade anyway. He's too cheap.

The Oilers need a starting goalie. Not Allen.

I don't believe Chairot has the value HE'S think he does either so I don't participate in Chairot discussions either.

Reactions: TFHockey

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
We could match their offer but I wouldn't as I feel it's an overpay. Calgary's GM wouldn't make that trade anyway. He's too cheap.

I don't believe Chairot has the value HE'S think he does either so I don't participate in Chairot discussions either.
Savard got a 1st and a 3rd last year... Chiarot is a much betetr dman, no reason to get anythign less than what Savard actually got.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Edm: Taffoli and Chariot
Mtl: Xavier Bourgault and Raphael Lavoie or Holloway and 2021 1st

Mtl gets quality prospects and Edm gets two experienced players for their playoff run. If salary is an issue then Barrie could be worked out in the deal or salary held back from Mtl.

Too much for the Oil to pay. Chariot isn’t worth a 1st in the teens unless the Habs send back their 2nd.

Chairot plus Habs 2022 2nd for Oil 2022 1st top 10 protected. Really looks more like Chairot and 34th pick for ~17th OA pick.

toffoli for Holloway maybe. Nothing more should be added from the oil there.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Too much for the Oil to pay. Chariot isn’t worth a 1st in the teens unless the Habs send back their 2nd.

Chairot plus Habs 2022 2nd for Oil 2022 1st top 10 protected. Really looks more like Chairot and 34th pick for ~17th OA pick.

toffoli for Holloway maybe. Nothing more should be added from the oil there.

That seems too high a price for the Oilers, since some salary has to go back in any trade for literally anyone.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

See you can't even have knowledgable trade talk with Oil fans. Can see how that team is wrecking McDavid and Leon after speaking with their fans

That's wasn't the trade offer! Offered to free up 5 million in caproom for Oil. By taking on Koskinen and Smith. Allen 50% retained, 1.4 million is easily retradable next summer. For a first pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad