Proposal: Edm/Mtl/Ari

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
To edm

price @50%

to mtl

edm 2022 2nd

to ari
(They will retain 50% on price)
Holloway
Bourgault
2022 1st
Kosk

Edit if Mtl wants they can retain and keep the entire haul
Q41vRAL.gif

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The "IF" is the problem. The fact that the only recent example of a 38 year old goalie who is NHL caliber is Mike Smith is telling. I'm not saying Price won't be good. I'm saying that historically, there are few NHL'ers at all that still compare to their prime at 38 years old. Taking on a contract like Price's is incredibly risky.

What Montreal needs, if they are truly wanting to move Price, is to work with a team like Edmonton though. It's apparent than Ken Holland's biggest interest right now is winning in the next 2 or 3 years, so at least Price fits in that timeline. As an Oiler fan, I just hope that he isn't looking too short term at the expense of long term success.
There are a ton of examples tho, I just didn't try to list them. MAF, Lundqvist, Brodeur, Roloson, Joseph, Luongo, Rinne, etc.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I guess the best answer to this is to ask if they can truly rebuild with Carey Price in net. Is he too good? Will he steal them too many games to get them the draft picks they need to successfully rebuild?

I don't even think they really need a full rebuild. They have a lot of youth already, they need to find a 1C, but other than that they aren't in that bad of shape. Of course, there is no reason to think Bergevin will find a 1C when he hasn't done so in the 10 years he has been trying to so far.

Price has shown he can elevate his game when games matter, but he's likely not going to affect their play if the Habs aren't in playoff contention. He hasn't really carried them in a regular season since 2016-2017. And the Habs would have even less of a reason to pay to move him if he can still elevate a team by himself.

The C situation isn't even as dire as the D situation TBH. It would be ideal to get a high end 1C, but Suzuki at least looks like a strong C and is under control for 8 more years after this one.

The Habs need to at the very least draft high for a year or two since they lack core NHL players. They're the only team to not draft a skater since 2003 with more than 70 points in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad