Proposal: Edm/Mtl/Ari

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
If any fan base overrate Price it's any but the habs fan base. Every time the habs as done any good in the last 15 years was because of Price according to them. AHL team carried by super human goalie is what I keep hearing/reading.
Don't think the Ducks have any interest in moving Gibson and you're offer is wayy off. Not even giving a 1st come on.

there isnt a first needed to be added to the deal, if you look around the league analysts are saying that deal is a good offer to give ducks for gibson. so if they arent saying a 1st needs to be thrown in ill believe them, especially with how kosk has been playing minus rangers game it seems to have somewhat turned it around and ducks are still a few yrs away from actually contending. theyll either play gibson until hes so worn down from carrying the team that no one will want him or hell ask to be traded. he honestly seems like hes more less wanting o play to win the cup and not one of those players just plays cause they can play and who ever will pay the most. time will tell obviously

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So Price at full cap is worth a 2nd rounder but Price with 5M retained will cost Edmonton Holloway+Bourgault+ 1st + Koskinen ..

No way 5M of cap space is worth 3 1st rounders 2 of which may be NHL ready as soon as next season

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
there isnt a first needed to be added to the deal, if you look around the league analysts are saying that deal is a good offer to give ducks for gibson. so if they arent saying a 1st needs to be thrown in ill believe them, especially with how kosk has been playing minus rangers game it seems to have somewhat turned it around and ducks are still a few yrs away from actually contending. theyll either play gibson until hes so worn down from carrying the team that no one will want him or hell ask to be traded. he honestly seems like hes more less wanting o play to win the cup and not one of those players just plays cause they can play and who ever will pay the most. time will tell obviously
Can you actually quote them? Seems like an offer that does nothing for the ducks to me , but benefits the Oilers a shit ton

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
So Price at full cap is worth a 2nd rounder but Price with 5M retained will cost Edmonton Holloway+Bourgault+ 1st + Koskinen ..

No way 5M of cap space is worth 3 1st rounders 2 of which may be NHL ready as soon as next season
Imo that offer is too rich. The price is nor ally around 1x1st per 6M or so. If youbconsider the deal as term left it's actually 15M over 3 years

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Amazingly I think all 3 teams say no.
Edmonton pays way too much, albeit Price is still one of the best there are other cheaper options.
Arizona would be crazy to retain over 5M for 4.75 years, even if they do get some good assets.
Montreal isn't trading their franchise goalie while they are still trying to win now. If they go full rebuild I could see it but that isn't likely.

AZ fan here

Bill Armstrong would do that in a heartbeat. 3 A assets for $25m is a really easy decision to make when you're going to be struggling to hit the cap floor over that same span. By the time picks come off their ELCs, Price would be off the books.

He already tried to be the 3rd team in the Eichel trade for assets. This isn't any different.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Price is signed too long at his cap hit for me to be interested, even with retention on the deal. It's a pretty ludicrous offer anyway. Montreal isn't dumping Price. Arizona isn't eating that much salary for that long. Edmonton isn't parting with their ELC contracts that will help them remain competitive while capped out for the next 2 or 3 years.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Price even at 50% is worth nowhere near this amount.

2 1st rounds pick (both of whom have projected up since draft), a 1st in a strong draft and a 2nd for a mediocre goalie who is signed for 5 more years at 5.25 million until he is 38? Not a chance.

Price has significant negative value and Montreal is stuck with that boat anchor. Montreal getting to dump him and get a 2nd round pick, along with Arizona cleaning up on the futures front show how bad this proposal is for Edmonton.
Ya the trade sucks but come on, he's lights out in the playoffs and is exactly what the Avs want instead of Grubauer, Kuemper...etc

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
How much is price worth at 10.5m for 4 more years.

not sure he gets claimed in waivers at that contract.

There is almost no chance Montreal wants Price's contract off the books bad enough right now that they'd only take a 2nd in a trade for him.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
To edm

price @50%

to mtl

edm 2022 2nd

to ari
(They will retain 50% on price)
Holloway
Bourgault
2022 1st
Kosk

Edit if Mtl wants they can retain and keep the entire haul

so montreal is not retaining a cent? They shed 10.5 and get a 2nd? nope--they get an FC option if they are moving that much out and they are adding 2 first to the package going to Arizona. Kosk is actually playing good right now and a case could be made he is no longer a cap dump

Sorry no.

Also, Arizona is cash poor till this current situation is over. I do not see them taking on 5.25 for the next 6 years

Also, Oilers are going to need ELC players over the next few years

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
There is almost no chance Montreal wants Price's contract off the books bad enough right now that they'd only take a 2nd in a trade for him.
If they are rebuilding then they should give up a 2nd to get rid of Price and that contract

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hold up

MTL only gets a 2nd for price, but Arizona gets 3 prospects AND a first for retaining 50%?!

go back to the drawing board on this cause cause this ain’t it fam
Montreal would be adding significant assets to get rid of Price without retention.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Price at 50% is great value. And no team would take Kuemper over Price in the playoffs where it matters.
If we were hypothetically talking about 1 playoff run I would agree with you.

But we have to consider contracts, age and regular season play. Kuemper is simply more valuable at this point, even if Price was at 50%

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If they are rebuilding then they should give up a 2nd to get rid of Price and that contract

Why? If they're rebuilding, then they don't care about the cap-space. After paying his bonus this year, his actual salary is less than his cap hit. Price's regular season play likely wont affect tanking all that negatively. He's a strong locker room presence to help young players and knows how to play in the market.

There isn't any reason to move Price if they're rebuilding outside of getting a good return, which isn't going to happen if they're paying for the privilege.

Reactions: montreal

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
Habs fans won't agree with this, but MTL will have to basically give Price away with that contract. Even at 50% retained, you're not getting back 3 first round prospects. Absolutely laugable.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why? If they're rebuilding, then they don't care about the cap-space. After paying his bonus this year, his actual salary is less than his cap hit. Price's regular season play likely wont affect tanking all that negatively. He's a strong locker room presence to help young players and knows how to play in the market.

There isn't any reason to move Price if they're rebuilding outside of getting a good return, which isn't going to happen if they're paying for the privilege.

I guess the best answer to this is to ask if they can truly rebuild with Carey Price in net. Is he too good? Will he steal them too many games to get them the draft picks they need to successfully rebuild?

I don't even think they really need a full rebuild. They have a lot of youth already, they need to find a 1C, but other than that they aren't in that bad of shape. Of course, there is no reason to think Bergevin will find a 1C when he hasn't done so in the 10 years he has been trying to so far.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Price is signed too long at his cap hit for me to be interested, even with retention on the deal. It's a pretty ludicrous offer anyway. Montreal isn't dumping Price. Arizona isn't eating that much salary for that long. Edmonton isn't parting with their ELC contracts that will help them remain competitive while capped out for the next 2 or 3 years.
Price will be 38 when his contract ends. Same age Smith was last year. Price has been historically better, but there are no guarantee he'll age the same. 5.5M in 5 years will most likely be an insane deal if Price is anywhere close to a capable number 1 still.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Price will be 38 when his contract ends. Same age Smith was last year. Price has been historically better, but there are no guarantee he'll age the same. 5.5M in 5 years will most likely be an insane deal if Price is anywhere close to a capable number 1 still.
The "IF" is the problem. The fact that the only recent example of a 38 year old goalie who is NHL caliber is Mike Smith is telling. I'm not saying Price won't be good. I'm saying that historically, there are few NHL'ers at all that still compare to their prime at 38 years old. Taking on a contract like Price's is incredibly risky.

What Montreal needs, if they are truly wanting to move Price, is to work with a team like Edmonton though. It's apparent than Ken Holland's biggest interest right now is winning in the next 2 or 3 years, so at least Price fits in that timeline. As an Oiler fan, I just hope that he isn't looking too short term at the expense of long term success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad