Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Milan Lucic (7 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A lot of people seem to be stuck in 2012 dollars. Ladd, Backes and Eriksson are all older than Lucic and got money and term. That's the market. I wouldn't bet on Okposo being productive in his mid 30s either but in 3-4 years when this group slows down the cap will be $8m higher and nobody will be shocked at an overpaid $6m player. It just isn't a well a club can go to very often.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As with any UFA season, the pursuit is going to be driven by need. The reason he other GMs you reference weren't so long in the running for Lucic's services is because they didn't have the same (perceived) need as those that were. The UFA frenzy sees some ridiculous signings, no doubt. Bit overpays are not only inevitable, but at times, warranted. WHEN YOUR TEAM HAS A/THE NEED.

You would know something about it with the Eriksson signing. So I'm not sure what you're going on about.

Well said. No reason we can't get a full 4 years of top PF performance given Lucic's fitness.

The 5th sees decline, and this is to be expected. Even by him.

I think we're essentially saying the same thing. Poor GM's who are desperate make bad deals during the FA frenzy. It's what separates the good teams from the poor ones. And it's one of the reasons that Canadian teams have such a poor record in the last few decades. It's no coincidence that only Benning, Bergevin and Chia were willing to pay such an inflated price for Lucic. We all expect to overpay during FA but $42 million and 7 years for Lucic is a ridiculous contract.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I have no doubt that Bergevin and Benning may have been close to Chia's number. That just proves my point.

You made up your point out of thin air.

Your point: The three 'finalists' are Vancouver, Montreal , Edmonton (no Dallas?) therefore it MUST mean..........

............ NO OTHER GM wanted him at all because i can read their minds and testify to what they were thinking.Thus no smart GM would touch that leper with a ten foot pole.

Moral of the story: Its a negative no matter what , Suckers !!!! :nod:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You made up your point out of thin air.

Your point: The three 'finalists' are Vancouver, Montreal , Edmonton (no Dallas?) therefore it MUST mean..........

............ NO OTHER GM wanted him at all because i can read their minds and testify to what they were thinking.Thus no smart GM would touch that leper with a ten foot pole.

Moral of the story: Its a negative no matter what , Suckers !!!! :nod:

Just admit the truth. Had Dallas or Detroit or LA come close to matching Edmonton he'd be on that team and not the Oilers. This is not exactly rocket science.
And I never said no other GM wanted him. Lots did. Just not close to that price and term.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Is there any actual evidence that power forwards can't remain effective in their early-mid 30's? Bertuzzi, Lecliar, Shanahan, Tkachuk all were still pretty good players at 34. I know these were better players than Lucic but the point is their bodies didn't completely break down or anything.

Why is it so certain that Lucic is going to fall off a cliff?

i hear that 39 year old Shane Doan is still doing ok.

some players fall off the face of the earth some don't also has nothing to do with what type of game they play we have seen all types of players fall off and we have seen others keep going, 34 is not a bad age in general, if he was signed till 40 then yeah i would be worried as not many guys manage to play till they are that old but still some do

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It's more of a deterrent than you think.

A deterrent to losing streaks I think mostly. I can't see players like Lucic and Larsson coming from more successful clubs being affected the same way as the Oilers current young core when things aren't going well. This Oilers club will be a handful if Talbot doesn't backslide.

Feb 9, 2013
Bottom line is that the people being overly negative about Lucic and the Oilers are simply jealous... he signed with the Oil and not 'your' team, and when the Oilers play 'your' team you are going to be reminded why you wanted him on 'your' team. And rightly so. Coming up with reasons why it was a bad signing is just an attempt to lessen the hurt, and take away from the realization that he is an Oiler, and not a Flame, or Canuck (I find this one the sweetest), or Canadien, or Leaf, or whatever.

Claim all you want that it was a bad signing and that you never wanted him on 'your' team to begin with... anyone that knows anything about hockey knows you are either a) in denial, b) being outright dishonest, or c) you know nothing about hockey. Who wouldn't want Lucic on their team? And the contract was fair given the other contracts that were signed.

If Lucic signed with a different team, I would have been disappointed. But, I would not carry on the way some people have been. People see through it... as 'they' say, methinks thou protest too much!

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Just admit the truth. Had Dallas or Detroit or LA come close to matching Edmonton he'd be on that team and not the Oilers. This is not exactly rocket science.
And I never said no other GM wanted him. Lots did. Just not close to that price and term.

You do know that he turned down more money from other teams to play with Edmonton right? That's what TSN said yesterday.

Must be rocket science.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
he just didn't watch the Lucic presser and how much he was drooling over #97 :laugh:

:laugh: who wouldn't want to play with a 19 year old generational talent?

Lucic was probably thinking hmmmm if McDavid can turn Maroon into a ppg forward I wonder what he could do to me.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Bottom line is that the people being overly negative about Lucic and the Oilers are simply jealous...

Yeah, that's it. Nothing more than peanut butter and jelly!

he signed with the Oil and not 'your' team, and when the Oilers play 'your' team you are going to be reminded why you wanted him on 'your' team. And rightly so. Coming up with reasons why it was a bad signing is just an attempt to lessen the hurt, and take away from the realization that he is an Oiler, and not a Flame, or Canuck (I find this one the sweetest), or Canadien, or Leaf, or whatever.

Thanks, but at $6M per season for seven (SEVEN ****ing years!) I'd be investing my money a little more wisely. You know, like a defense, that the Oilers so badly need. Sorry, that's just the jelly in me speaking.

spreads_concordgrapejelly_210x356.png

Claim all you want that it was a bad signing and that you never wanted him on 'your' team to begin with... anyone that knows anything about hockey knows you are either a) in denial, b) being outright dishonest, or c) you know nothing about hockey. Who wouldn't want Lucic on their team? And the contract was fair given the other contracts that were signed.

No, the contract wasn't fair. It was by far the worse contract given this off season. BY FAR. Dollar value was ridiculous and the term was worse. Those who think is was a good contract, as you would put it, c) you know nothing about hockey.

If Lucic signed with a different team, I would have been disappointed. But, I would not carry on the way some people have been. People see through it... as 'they' say, methinks thou protest too much!

Allow me to one up you, Bill. All you have to do is listen to Chiarelli's press conference to know, “The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.†He's already experiencing buyer's remorse.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Thanks, but at $6M per season for seven (SEVEN ****ing years!) I'd be investing my money a little more wisely. You know, like a defense, that the Oilers so badly need. Sorry, that's just the jelly in me speaking.

No, the contract wasn't fair. It was by far the worse contract given this off season. BY FAR. Dollar value was ridiculous and the term was worse. Those who think is was a good contract, as you would put it, c) you know nothing about hockey.

Allow me to one up you, Bill. All you have to do is listen to Chiarelli's press conference to know, “The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” He's already experiencing buyer's remorse.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: worst contract of the off season?? :facepalm:

The Backes contract is much much worse. A player who has already started to regress and is 32 years old. Gets 6 million to be a 3C until he is 37 ****ing years old. Similar style to Lucic but is older.

The Ladd contract is also worse. 30 year old signed until 37 making 5.5 per season and showed regression this season. Didn't provide his apparent leadership in the playoffs.

The Eriksson contract is also worse. 31 year old making 6 million until he is 37. Has regressed the last couple years but had a great contract year. Can he do it or again or will he play like he did in Boston for most of the years.

How about I mention the Radulov contract? Nah I won't bother.

Then there's Lucic. 28 year old making 6 million per season until he 35. Had a solid 55 point season and only had less than 55 points once in the last 5 full seasons. Shows no signs of regression. Only 1 of the above players had a better season than Lucic. Youngest player I listed and arguably the most positive intangibles.

Nice try though, enjoy your jelly :)

Last edited:

Snarky Coyote

May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I think this is the deal the Oilers have to make. price is fair, term is too long but all that means is that you trade a 2nd round pick if you need to dump the contract to a rebuilding team. I am assuming no more than 4 years on an NMC here. Oilers needed a guy that knows how to win, and the team is so much better now than they were. Will it win cups? who knows but they are going a lot of right things here. I am looking forward to seeing them next year.

Feb 9, 2013

Allow me to one up you, Bill. All you have to do is listen to Chiarelli's press conference to know, “The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.†He's already experiencing buyer's remorse.

Enjoy the up-coming season jelly... make stuff up as you need to in order to feel better (and justify Lucic not signing with your team), and enjoy the McDavid-Looch show. I know I will.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015

like Smid and Engelland?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In the long run it does. It most certainly does. You can spin it anyway you like, but the tough players always wind down in their 30s. You don't give a player that will decelerate more money, you give him less. See Richards and Brown. There are only a few exceptions to the rule, and they are aren't knows for being overly physical players. He will bought out eventually.

Based on what? You mention Richards and Brown, but these are smaller guys playing a crash/bang game.

I don't see any evidence that big physical forwards deteriorate quicker than any other type of player, and Lucic has proven to be an exceptionally durable player so far.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: worst contract of the off season?? :facepalm:

The Backes contract is much much worse. A player who has already started to regress and is 32 years old. Gets 6 million to be a 3C until he is 37 ****ing years old. Similar style to Lucic but is older.

The Ladd contract is also worse. 30 year old signed until 37 making 5.5 per season and showed regression this season. Didn't provide his apparent leadership in the playoffs.

The Eriksson contract is also worse. 31 year old making 6 million until he is 37. Has regressed the last couple years but had a great contract year. Can he do it or again or will he play like he did in Boston for most of the years.

How about I mention the Radulov contract? Nah I won't bother.

Then there's Lucic. 28 year old making 6 million per season until he 35. Had a solid 55 point season and only had less than 55 points once in the last 5 full seasons. Shows no signs of regression. Only 1 of the above players had a better season than Lucic. Youngest player I listed and arguably the most positive intangibles.

Nice try though, enjoy your jelly :)

What on earth.... He actually got better each of his last 2 years. He may start to regress as soon as this year but he has simply NOT regressed the last couple seasons. I actually agree that the Lucic deal is better than either Ladd or Backes. But the Eriksson contract is at worst on the same level as Lucic. Imo actually better as the skill game does not always hit that same wall as the physical game. Only time will tell.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
What on earth.... He actually got better each of his last 2 years. He may start to regress as soon as this year but he has simply NOT regressed the last couple seasons. I actually agree that the Lucic deal is better than either Ladd or Backes. But the Eriksson contract is at worst on the same level as Lucic. Imo actually better as the skill game does not always hit that same wall as the physical game. Only time will tell.

You misunderstand me. His play including his last season in Dallas had completely fallen off a cliff (yes even 2 years ago) compared to what he was. Is last year a resurgence in his play or a fluke? Time will tell if he is going to return to what he was during his time in Dallas, what he was this year or the disappointment he was for most of his time in Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad