Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Milan Lucic (7 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
He was offered more money and more term from other teams but chose Edmonton cause mcdavid... That's it the contract is fine a tad long but no one knows what's gonna happen

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
The deal is fine, nothing to worry 'bout Oiler fans.

People will give you crap for anything you do at this point.

I'm sure it is a lot. We Kings fans did for years. I don't even know how many times we were #1 in the prospect rankings here...

But that all changed once we drafted Drew Doughty. Just like how it all changed for the Oil once they drafted McDavid.

Much appreciated, insightful posts.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
we should create a Kings Suck thread, but this one is about Lucic and yeah short term this is a good deal but long term (like almost every long term deal) this will eventually blow. I'm guessing Edmonton's 3 to 5 yr window has officially opened after close to a decade worth of first round picks goodluck to them

now please pass that 1st overall pick torch to LA :D

We gladly would like to NOT be picking in the top 14 (15 next year) for a decade or longer! (with our own pick anyways ;) ) The Kings can have it... and take all of the hate that goes along with it.

Last edited:

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
he can't keep up with mcdavid, he will end up on the second line

three too many years....can't wait to hear what the oil locker room is all about with both Kassian and Lucic in it...

Just like when Maroon couldn't keep up with McDavid last year right?

14P in 16G. Or something like that.

Lucic is much better than Maroon. Should be alright.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
The fact that Benning, Bergevin and Chia were the three finalist in the Lucic sweepstakes tells you all you need to know about the deal. No smart GM would have touched it.

I think we're essentially saying the same thing. Poor GM's who are desperate make bad deals during the FA frenzy. It's what separates the good teams from the poor ones. And it's one of the reasons that Canadian teams have such a poor record in the last few decades. It's no coincidence that only Benning, Bergevin and Chia were willing to pay such an inflated price for Lucic. We all expect to overpay during FA but $42 million and 7 years for Lucic is a ridiculous contract.

You are correct. The Oilers overpaid to get Larsson. The Oilers overpaid Lucic. Are most Oiler posters going to say this... probably not because they are tired of getting **** on and heckled in every thread - even non-Oiler threads... it's actually pathetic. I would expect this on a playground, so if you are 16 or under, I apologize and understand.

This is what you must do when you have missed the playoffs for the past decade and are currently one of the least attractive cities in the NHL to live in. This is what everyone on these boards have been saying for years... build a team that competes, a bigger team, a more balanced team... then maybe you guys will improve and be able to attract the right guys with trades/UFAs, without overpaying. We have to start somewhere.

Many HF posters, posters from non-Oiler fanbases, have been very gracious and understanding of our position. Thanks!

My question to posters like the above and some other is; what is your purpose of coming in here to taunt Oiler fans on moves the management had to make in order to reverse the culture of losing us fans have had to witness for the past decade? Which Dmen were we going to sign as UFAs that are as good as Larsson is today, and one that has his potential? Which other asset could we trade for such a player (we know it isn't RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle... as I am fairly confident they were offered before Hall). Which other Dman could the Oilers have traded Hall for, straight across? (and for god sake, don't mention Shattenkirk, who has 1 year left on his contact and has no intention of extending in Edmonton) Which players could we have signed that would have brought the element of toughness that a Lucic brings, one that can play in our top 6? Do you honestly believe that Chiarelli started off offering 7 years, rather than 5? (we all agree that if LA offered him what the Oilers offered - even $500K less - he would be a King today, as they were his first choice) This was the price the Oilers had to pay for these types of assets (huge gaps in our organization) - plain and simple.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Im wondering how many times the last 6 years Oilers fans has said something like that....

I can't speak for others but defense has always been our weak spot since the rebuild began. Since taking over Chiarelli has added Larsson and Sekera as well as a promising young D that could be a LH version of Larsson in time in Reinhart. Now we just lack that RH PP guy preferably with a big time shot from the point to round out our D.

he can't keep up with mcdavid, he will end up on the second line

three too many years....can't wait to hear what the oil locker room is all about with both Kassian and Lucic in it...

I'm shocked, absolutely stunned that you'd say something negative about a player on the Oilers, about as shocked as I am that it's dark outside right now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How did we overpay when Ladd got damn near the same $ while being older? UFA's as a general rule of thumb don't come on bargain deals but we paid him what he has been making the last 3 seasons so he didn't get a raise in spite of the cap going up. I can understand people talking about the term but he'll be 34 when it ends. In terms of the NMC, that is something that high end UFA's earn as part of their contracts. I'd sooner give him a NMC at his current contract than tacking on another million AAV because we wouldn't hand him one.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Lucic interview was hilarious too mentioning it wasn't about the money and being on a competitive team is important to him.

Everyone knows he obviously just wanted to get paid. The only Gm who would give him a no movement clause and that huge salary. He's probably thinking he'll get an extra few weeks vacation too each year.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
How did we overpay when Ladd got damn near the same $ while being older?

You both overpaid. Not by much, but you did.

UFA's as a general rule of thumb don't come on bargain deals but we paid him what he has been making the last 3 seasons so he didn't get a raise in spite of the cap going up. I can understand people talking about the term but he'll be 34 when it ends.

Big, physical, power forwards that aren't fleet footed don't tend to stay very effective into their 30's. Clarkson, Clowe, Brown, Clark, Gillies off the top of my head.

Iginla is a bit of an exception, although what he's doing now isn't justifying 6M. The Oilers need to hope that Lucic ages like Backes or Iginla, which isn't too unrealistic.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
Lucic interview was hilarious too mentioning it wasn't about the money and being on a competitive team is important to him.

Everyone knows he obviously just wanted to get paid. The only Gm who would give him a no movement clause and that huge salary. He's probably thinking he'll get an extra few weeks vacation too each year.

Except he got a bigger offer from Montreal. So that makes your post typical anti-Oilers rhetoric.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
This is getting ridiculous. Lucic is a great add for a team that needs him just as much for his ability to be a true power forward as it does for his mentality and experience. This is 2016...playing in Edmonton today is not such a bad experience for any player. First and foremost, it's a plane ride from home no matter where you live. More importantly, the city itself is actually doing pretty good for itself and I can think of a half dozen areas I'd rather not play than there. In addition to that, the team has the best young player we've seen in at least a decade.

If they want to pay Lucic a bit more with a term that's a bit long, who really cares? The city is on the rise, the team is FINALLY on the rise, and honestly I'd feel a whole lot better rooting for this team in a year or two than the other two western Canada squads. I'm a Buffalo fan so I know what it's like in the past getting dismissed for poor management but I think the Oilers are doing the right thing with this signing. Character and culture mean something.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I think the Oilers are slowly recovering from the mistake of drafting Yakupov. Had they listened to their own scouts back then we might be looking at a whole different team without McDavid in it. All things considered, the path of which they undertook, eventually landed them McDavid and now Puljujärvi. The future is looking pretty bright over there, even while losing Hall. If I were an Oilers fan, I'd be thrilled and ecstatic about the future.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Except he got a bigger offer from Montreal. So that makes your post typical anti-Oilers rhetoric.

Why can't it be both? The Habs are only a Carey Price away from winning themselves. The "alleged" bigger offer only means that he thinks the Oilers are a better fit for him.

Edit: And if you don't know what a "better fit" means, please hit yourself in the head with a blunt object again, and then ask a Habs or B's fan. :D

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Ironic that these kind of lockout-causing contracts are lockout-proof. What an insane length for a player like this.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
Oilers should have traded eberle and RNH for depth defenseman and use the cap space to sign lucic.

Hall on lw with kassian on rw, and lucic on lw with McDavid at center.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Oilers should have traded eberle and RNH for depth defenseman and use the cap space to sign lucic.

Hall on lw with kassian on rw, and lucic on lw with McDavid at center.

you make it sound so easy lol. ... kassian huh?

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
This is getting ridiculous. Lucic is a great add for a team that needs him just as much for his ability to be a true power forward as it does for his mentality and experience. This is 2016...playing in Edmonton today is not such a bad experience for any player. First and foremost, it's a plane ride from home no matter where you live. More importantly, the city itself is actually doing pretty good for itself and I can think of a half dozen areas I'd rather not play than there. In addition to that, the team has the best young player we've seen in at least a decade.

If they want to pay Lucic a bit more with a term that's a bit long, who really cares? The city is on the rise, the team is FINALLY on the rise, and honestly I'd feel a whole lot better rooting for this team in a year or two than the other two western Canada squads. I'm a Buffalo fan so I know what it's like in the past getting dismissed for poor management but I think the Oilers are doing the right thing with this signing. Character and culture mean something.

Where are all these grounded, sensible posts coming from?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
You both overpaid. Not by much, but you did.

Big, physical, power forwards that aren't fleet footed don't tend to stay very effective into their 30's. Clarkson, Clowe, Brown, Clark, Gillies off the top of my head.

Iginla is a bit of an exception, although what he's doing now isn't justifying 6M. The Oilers need to hope that Lucic ages like Backes or Iginla, which isn't too unrealistic.
All of your examples are of lower tier guys that were already breaking down by Lucics current age. With the exception of Brown(who just doesn't have an IQ) all of your examples were injury prone players.
Keep fishing and dreaming though

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
How did we overpay when Ladd got damn near the same $ while being older? UFA's as a general rule of thumb don't come on bargain deals but we paid him what he has been making the last 3 seasons so he didn't get a raise in spite of the cap going up. I can understand people talking about the term but he'll be 34 when it ends. In terms of the NMC, that is something that high end UFA's earn as part of their contracts. I'd sooner give him a NMC at his current contract than tacking on another million AAV because we wouldn't hand him one.
Just because Ladd was overpaid doesn't mean lucic wasn't overpaid. That is terrible logic!

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
I think the Oilers are slowly recovering from the mistake of drafting Yakupov. Had they listened to their own scouts back then we might be looking at a whole different team without McDavid in it. All things considered, the path of which they undertook, eventually landed them McDavid and now Puljujärvi. The future is looking pretty bright over there, even while losing Hall. If I were an Oilers fan, I'd be thrilled and ecstatic about the future.

This post has been made the last 5 years. Until something different happens it's a vicious cycle.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
For winning hockey games, I would not want him on my team.

I would have liked to get in on my team anyway though, because he's a buffoon and he entertains me. The Oilers will be fun to watch next season.Good signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad