Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Milan Lucic (7 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Just like when Maroon couldn't keep up with McDavid last year right?

14P in 16G. Or something like that.

Lucic is much better than Maroon. Should be alright.

16 games (at the end of the season with no implications) is way too small a sample size.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Just because Ladd was overpaid doesn't mean lucic wasn't overpaid. That is terrible logic!

I think the point is that the market for a lot of these forwards was ~6 million for 5/6/7 years.

that was the market.

Lucic is younger and is flush with "intangibles" so it's somewhat palatable.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Like most I think this deal looks real bad years 4-7. But edm is in a spot where having a guy to play with and stick up for McDavid is a huge need. This absolutely helps them next few years.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
16 games (at the end of the season with no implications) is way too small a sample size.

lol it's 20% of a season. Reductionism at it's best. This is why I love HF.

On the next episode of oilers reductionism:

"Connor mcdavid had 130 points in 2016-17"

"Yeah but he's only produced like this for 1 season. I don't think he can keep it up"

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
lol it's 20% of a season. Reductionism at it's best. This is why I love HF.

On the next episode of oilers reductionism:

"Connor mcdavid had 130 points in 2016-17"

"Yeah but he's only produced like this for 1 season. I don't think he can keep it up"

Those 16 games were also against some of the worst teams in the league. Flames, Canucks, CBJ, Coyotes, Jets.

Only 7 were against playoff teams.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but I don't find it that impressive.

Phillybean

Aug 2, 2008
Kelowna
Those 16 games were also against some of the worst teams in the league. Flames, Canucks, CBJ, Coyotes, Jets.

I think the point is that if Maroon who is slow and not as skilled and Lucic can put up decent points with McDavid, so can Lucic.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I remember when he was absolutely untouchable regardless of what you were willing to give up.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I remember when he was absolutely untouchable regardless of what you were willing to give up.

But Sweeney gonna Sweeney. Then you had LA who have some atrocious contracts. Kazam, he's all of a sudden a free agent...He would still be in LA if they didn't bungle it up.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Off the rush goals are super pretty, but the Oilers have been afflicted with one and done chances for years. If Lucic, and a few other bigger guys they now have, can win o-zone board battles (even create board battles), that will be helpful in many ways.

They really need to start swinging the puck possession to be more in their favour.

I am also hoping for some additional veteran leadership. Something they are missing.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I doubt he'd agree to structuring it with all those bonuses making it essentially buyout proof either.

The current NHL CBA expires at the end of the 2021-22 season, and this way in the event of a lockout Lucic will be able to pocket a $3.0 million signing bonus on July 1 and will only be risking a relatively small $1.0 million salary.

The difficulty of this for the Oilers is that in the event of a decline in Lucic’s performance, the team is going to be stuck. If, for example, events compel Edmonton to try and clear Lucic’s contract in the summer of 2020, a buyout would be almost entirely pointless because the team would only be buying out $4.5 million in total salary as opposed to a cap hit of $18 million over the final three years.

It’s the same problem that the Toronto Maple Leafs ran into with David Clarkson, and 2016 marks the emergence of these deals as the contract of choice for highly-paid forwards. Kyle Okposo, Andrew Ladd and Loui Eriksson all signed deals with similar structures in Buffalo, New York and Vancouver, respectively. Those three teams, along with the Oilers, are all betting heavily that these players will be worth their significant cap hit into their mid- and in some cases even late-30’s.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...n-lucics-new-oilers-contract-is-buy-out-proof

It's a big gamble for the teams that signed those contracts. If the player doesn't decline significantly, it will be fine. If they do, the contracts will be tough to move, especially bc they have NTC/NMCs as well as the large bonuses. Or the teams may not care about how the contract might affect the team in a few years, e.g., if they think they'll be rebuilding at that time anyway.

A significant cap hit and a small salary are selling features in the "minimum cap hit" NHL.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think it would be that hard to move the last 2 years of Lucic's deal.

They're $5 million and $4 million respectively, but $2.5 million of that first $5 mill is a signing bonus, so the Oilers could eat that cost, so it's $2.5 mill and $4 mill for the final two years ... I don't think it would be impossible to move. The NTC limited list might make it a bit harder, but not impossible.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Off the rush goals are super pretty, but the Oilers have been afflicted with one and done chances for years. If Lucic, and a few other bigger guys they now have, can win o-zone board battles (even create board battles), that will be helpful in many ways.

They really need to start swinging the puck possession to be more in their favour.

I am also hoping for some additional veteran leadership. Something they are missing.

Zone time has been the Oilers achilles heal and has made all of their defenders look like crap.

They made a big step in the right direction, to rectify this issue, shipping Hall out for a defender.

Lucic is another step in the right direction and I think that puts them within coalescing distance of a playoff spot :)

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Like most I think this deal looks real bad years 4-7. But edm is in a spot where having a guy to play with and stick up for McDavid is a huge need. This absolutely helps them next few years.

Big time helps right now for sure and if I was a fan of the oil I would be happy cause it is not my money being spent. However Milan is a below average skater now and you have to wonder when will the wheels fall off. No way he is there in seven years. But in today's market you have to overpay to get something.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Lucic will be 31 in the 4th year of his contract. Loui Eriksson is 31 in year 1 of his contract. Does his deal look really bad to you in year 1?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
But Sweeney gonna Sweeney. Then you had LA who have some atrocious contracts. Kazam, he's all of a sudden a free agent...He would still be in LA if they didn't bungle it up.

I heard quite a few LA fans say they don't want him back. Plus he was willing to sign in LA if LA really wanted him back

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
Lucic is going to be well worth the price of admission... Take as many shots at the Oilers for signing him to the contract they did, whatever....I look forward to all your teams rolling through Edmonton next year while he and McDavid tear you new ones

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Its better than not having 14 points.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I heard quite a few LA fans say they don't want him back. Plus he was willing to sign in LA if LA really wanted him back
LA did want him back. They couldn't pay what he was King for though. I haven't seen any Kings fans say they didn't want him. Some didn't want to give him a long deal but most wanted him back.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Way better deal for some of he contracts given out in the past couple days. He did sign with the Oilers though, so it must just be a terrible contract.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
A significant cap hit and a small salary are selling features in the "minimum cap hit" NHL.

That's true if the team isn't going to reach the cap floor. But I don't think that's a problem for any current teams so that leaves LV. At most, it's a couple of teams and Lucic will probably have those teams on his no trade list (or not on his trade list if that's how the NTC is structured).

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Outstanding pickup from the Oilers. He'll bring a winner's attitude and he'll take McDavid under his wing. Krecji + Lucic was a great combination and McDavid + Lucic will be just as good.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Most important part.

We can't wait around anymore. Our window starts now with McDavid and Drai on ELCs we have to start competing for a playoff spot. No more pissing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad