Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Milan Lucic (7 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Source:

Chiarelli doesn't even try to make up a believeable lie. Unless L.A offered him 8 years, that's impossible. I doubt any team offered him more money with even an equal term, which is probably why he's an Oiler. :laugh:

LA offered him more term less AAV (4.5per)
MTL offered him more AAV (no report on the term)

So in theory Lucic had offers for more AAV and longer term but not from the same club ..

The guy you posted made it sound like it was from the same club which is incorrect..

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
McKenzie was discussing the potential of a sign and trade with Stamkos. The same thing might have been offered to Lucic. Chia has been extremely honest in his press conferences, so I can't see him suddenly making things up

A sign and trade for 8 years? Maybe. I don't think any team would willingly want to go 8 years with Lucic, most would prefer 7. That only really benefits Lucic. A sign and trade with a higher average than 6M or a higher total than 41M? No chance.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
It's not a bad deal, especially as far as UFA's go.

Lucic is 28, and will play the final game of this contract as a 34-year old. I think Lucic will get 55-60 points, especially playing with McDavid. The going rate for a power forward like Lucic who scores that many points is probably around $6M, and you probably won't be able to trade for a player like that. I think he should be able to play good hockey until the final two years of his contract, and they can worry about that when the time comes.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The fact that Benning, Bergevin and Chia were the three finalist in the Lucic sweepstakes tells you all you need to know about the deal. No smart GM would have touched it.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Nobody is scared of Lucic. The NHL has the Instigator Rule. He can only fight and "protect" McDavid if somebody agrees to fight him. Teams can "Neal Sheehy" McDavid to death all they want and refuse to fight and there'd be nothing Lucic can do about it. There are plenty of guys in the league who'd be willing to abuse 97 and just laugh at Lucic and skate away from his post-whistle advances. Lucic is no scrub by any means but he's clearly a big step down from Hall.

At the end of the day Edmonton got a little better on defense (as Larsson is clearly a #3 caliber D man at best) and noticeably worse at LW.

That's not how it goes but ok if you say so. If someone takes liberties on McDavid, then Lucic doesn't need to fight. Lucic, Maroon, Kassian and Hendricks will have their way physically with any team that acts tough with McDavid. With a tough guy on every line the opposing team won't be able to protect their skilled forwards and get the physically easy match ups. If someone is stupid to **** with McDavid then they better be prepared to deliver the heads of their skilled players on a silver platter.

Also Larsson isn't at best a #3, at WORST he is a #3 and was the #1 in New Jersey. His offense will take a huge step this year as 70% of his zone starts won't be in the defensive zone, he'll get PP time (he only had 8 minutes of PP time this year) and the Oilers are a more offense orientated team than the Devils. The Devils had a terrible goal differential yet Larsson was a +15. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a Hampus Lindholm type season (30-35 points and great defensive play).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Nobody is scared of Lucic. The NHL has the Instigator Rule. He can only fight and "protect" McDavid if somebody agrees to fight him. Teams can "Neal Sheehy" McDavid to death all they want and refuse to fight and there'd be nothing Lucic can do about it. There are plenty of guys in the league who'd be willing to abuse 97 and just laugh at Lucic and skate away from his post-whistle advances. Lucic is no scrub by any means but he's clearly a big step down from Hall.

It's more of a deterrent than you think.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Detroit...Dallas.. plus other teams. But whatever fits your narrative I guess.

Yes and none of those teams or LA came close to what Lucic got. Smart GMs stayed away from paying him $49 million over 7 years. Heck even average GM's did. The three worst GM's in the league were the finalists and desperate enough to significantly over pay.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Yes and none of those teams or LA came close to what Lucic got. Smart GMs stayed away from paying him $49 million over 7 years. Heck even average GM's did.

Can I have proof none of these teams offered more? It's been reported Lucic left money and term on the table? Or does that not fit your script either cause LOLOilerz.

Edit: Lucic also got 6M not 7M a year. So you're wrong again.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Can I have proof none of these teams offered more? It's been reported Lucic left money and term on the table? Or does that not fit your script either cause LOLOilerz.

I have no doubt that Bergevin and Benning may have been close to Chia's number. That just proves my point.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Anyway, I think the signing is a bit long, but to sign a guy like Looch that's expected. Good move on behalf of the Oilers, you can guarantee that players are going to take there fair share of cheap shots and hits to McDavid, and regardless of what other fans are saying. He will make a difference. Being a star calibre center at the age of 19 brings the attention of the other team to take liberties, having hulk on your LW allows McDavid to have more space and time with the puck. :)

Gotta remember that it's McDavid, Ebs, Larsson, and whoever on the ice. Not a lot of toughness. If a scrum does happen (and it will happen), having Looch will give those players confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yes and none of those teams or LA came close to what Lucic got. Smart GMs stayed away from paying him $49 million over 7 years. Heck even average GM's did. The three worst GM's in the league were the finalists and desperate enough to significantly over pay.

7 x 6 =\= 49

:teach2:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hmm, not so much.

Anyway, I think the signing is a bit long, but to sign a guy like Looch that's expected. Good move on behalf of the Oilers, you can guarantee that players are going to take there fair share of cheap shots and hits to McDavid, and regardless of what other fans are saying. He will make a difference. Being a star calibre center at the age of 19 brings the attention of the other team to take liberties, having hulk on your LW allows McDavid to have more space and time with the puck. :)

What??? Are you sure you are a Canucks fan???? STOP it!! U r messing with all my beliefs ...

a587b

May 23, 2016
What??? Are you sure you are a Canucks fan???? STOP it!! U r messing with all my beliefs ...

I'm a Canucks fan, too, and I also think it's a good signing for the Oilers.

Don't agree with that Tkachuk >> Juolevi bit, however.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Is there any actual evidence that power forwards can't remain effective in their early-mid 30's? Bertuzzi, Lecliar, Shanahan, Tkachuk all were still pretty good players at 34. I know these were better players than Lucic but the point is their bodies didn't completely break down or anything.

Why is it so certain that Lucic is going to fall off a cliff?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The fact that Benning, Bergevin and Chia were the three finalist in the Lucic sweepstakes tells you all you need to know about the deal. No smart GM would have touched it.

Vancouver wasn't a finalist for Lucic. However, Nill was one of the last 3, and he was a finalist for GM of the year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm a Canucks fan, too, and I also think it's a good signing for the Oilers.

Don't agree with that Tkachuk >> Juolevi bit, however.

Fair enough.. Support the kid you drafted and there is nothing wrong with that..
Had VAN drafted Tkachuk or Sergachev or even Logan Brown you would have agreed with that "bit".

The 3 big Dmen were ranked closely and were pretty much organizational preference. Tkachuk and Dubois were supposedly on a tier by themselve which was a lot closer to Puljujarvi than the 3 Dmen

Going back to topic.. Thanks for finding it a not bad signing..

Given the term and AAV i cant call it good but considering what other UFAs got yesterday it was NOT BAD

a587b

May 23, 2016
Fair enough.. Support the kid you drafted and there is nothing wrong with that..
Had VAN drafted Tkachuk or Sergachev or even Logan Brown you would have agreed with that "bit".

Actually, I wouldn't have agreed with that "bit" because I like to be logical. I would never say that Juolevi is obviously a better prospect than Tkachuk, or vice versa.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Is there any actual evidence that power forwards can't remain effective in their early-mid 30's? Bertuzzi, Lecliar, Shanahan, Tkachuk all were still pretty good players at 34. I know these were better players than Lucic but the point is their bodies didn't completely break down or anything.

Getzlaf, Perry, Carter, Buff, Guerin, Doan, Iginla, Hossa, Smyth, Peca, Arnott, Hartnell, Nash, ... I actually have a much harder time coming up with big name big guys that played the powerforward / big man game that fell off hard than guys that didn't fall off hard without a career hampering or destroying injury.

Like... Penner, Brown... There are a few guys who went down and out but they were mostly injury prone as hell the whole way through. Like Lindros / Forsberg.

I don't think it is fair the way people say big guys fall off a cliff. Some of them do, some of them don't. Just like small guys.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
As with any UFA season, the pursuit is going to be driven by need. The reason he other GMs you reference weren't so long in the running for Lucic's services is because they didn't have the same (perceived) need as those that were. The UFA frenzy sees some ridiculous signings, no doubt. Bit overpays are not only inevitable, but at times, warranted. WHEN YOUR TEAM HAS A/THE NEED.

You would know something about it with the Eriksson signing. So I'm not sure what you're going on about.

Well said. No reason we can't get a full 4 years of top PF performance given Lucic's fitness.

The 5th sees decline, and this is to be expected. Even by him.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Should help out with the skilled kids. Most UFA deals are painful toward the end, but he's got a lot of good years left.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
The term is too long and it's way too much money. His style of play will prevent him from being an effective asset in his later years. It will be fun to watch him play in the Oilers system, though. I'm glad he's not a King anymore; the team is getting older and they can't afford to sign this type of deal going forward.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I don't get it. This was a great signing.

I think in this new modern age we are really underrating players that are above 25. Lucic is freaking 28 years old.... the contract ends when he is 34 which is still a productive age for an NHL player.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
The term is too long and it's way too much money. His style of play will prevent him from being an effective asset in his later years. It will be fun to watch him play in the Oilers system, though. I'm glad he's not a King anymore; the team is getting older and they can't afford to sign this type of deal going forward.

So a guy who is 28. Who has been pretty consistent his whole career. Has missed maybe 10 games tops in his career (some due to suspension) didn't get a raise from his last salary. Is a major team player. Etc. I say the money is spot on. The term is possible 2 years long. But look at the other signings on the day. All got too long of term. Look at last year's UFAs. Most all got too long of term. Losing Lucic doesn't make the King's a better team.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
So a guy who is 28. Who has been pretty consistent his whole career. Has missed maybe 10 games tops in his career (some due to suspension) didn't get a raise from his last salary. Is a major team player. Etc. I say the money is spot on. The term is possible 2 years long. But look at the other signings on the day. All got too long of term. Look at last year's UFAs. Most all got too long of term. Losing Lucic doesn't make the King's a better team.

In the long run it does. It most certainly does. You can spin it anyway you like, but the tough players always wind down in their 30s. You don't give a player that will decelerate more money, you give him less. See Richards and Brown. There are only a few exceptions to the rule, and they are aren't knows for being overly physical players. He will bought out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad