Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Milan Lucic (7 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Battle of Alberta is coming back. You cowboy ****s better gear up for the best rivalry in hockey to return (love the Tkachuk pick, him and Bennett will be unreal together).

P.S. I hate you too!

OT but the flames have been staying under the radar but improving their club very nicely... Goaltending is pretty much shored up with 2 quality goalies.. Brouwer is not as "sexy" as Lucic but is a very effective addition... Piljukarvi got the lime light but Tkachuk was a great pick... Battle of Alberta will soon be back..

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
OT but the flames have been staying under the radar but improving their club very nicely... Goaltending is pretty much shored up with 2 quality goalies.. Brouwer is not as sexy but is a very effective addition... Piljukarvi got the lime light but Tkachuk was a great pick... Battle of Alberta will soon be back..

Flames are shaping up well. They are probably further along than EDM right now, but both teams are trending in the right direction. I expect our rivalry to return to the best in the NHL very soon.

Agreed on Brouwer, great pick up.

Nikola Tesla

Oct 13, 2015
Europe
Term is BRUTAL for the type of player he is. He is needed though and is a proven winner, so congratulations are in order I guess.

Alberta Oilfire

Jun 4, 2010
Central Alberta
Embrace the Hate!!! The Oilers can't do anything right for the haters on these boards! It says more about you than it says about us, pissing on our every move, yet Lucic brings everything the Oil don't have.
1) Leadership and locker room accountability, no more fly by back checks, this guy would probably pin you against a locker ala Messier if you weren't showing up every night.
2) Net Pressence, Maroon was the only guy not chicken **** enough to go near that crease since Smytty retired
3) Top line LW, he's no Hall, but he's still a top line LW in this league
4) Intimidation, Oilers have been pushed around for years, current players get a whole lot braver with this guy backing you up

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I am Flyers fan so I would absolutely hate it for the Flyers. But obviously, Edmonton is in different situation and I can understand it from their POV, I wonder for how long is Lucic going to be top 6 player. 7 years for Lucic is huge commitment tho.

They needed someone like him, they just have to hope, he will be top 6 player for the majority of this deal.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Lucic was always going to get this deal and I'm happy the Oilers got a good UFA willing to go there. Not the worst deal that was made either so gl in oil country Lucic!

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
I am Flyers fan so I would absolutely hate it for the Flyers. But obviously, Edmonton is in different situation and I can understand it from their POV, I wonder for how long is Lucic going to be top 6 player. 7 years for Lucic is huge commitment tho.

They needed someone like him, they just have to hope, he will be top 6 player for the majority of this deal.
Scott Hartnell for exemple is 34 and has showed down but he still got arround 50 point last year. Just a gamble, maybe at 34 Lucic will still be a top6 player

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't know why people hate this deal. Lucic is the right age, he's consistently productive, he's extremely durable, he's big enough that he's probably not going to fall off a cliff in his early 30s like smaller guys who play a crash and bang game, he can help protect the McDavid investment, and Edmonton needed a big scoring winger who could work in the dirty areas.

I think it was a perfect add for the Oil.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know why people hate this deal. Lucic is the right age, he's consistently productive, he's extremely durable, he's big enough that he's probably not going to fall off a cliff in his early 30s like smaller guys who play a crash and bang game, he can help protect the McDavid investment, and Edmonton needed a big scoring winger who could work in the dirty areas.

That's where a lot of people will disagree.

There's a very real chance that he will be an albatross the last 3 years of this deal, on a team that will have to extend McDavid and Puljujarvi.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Lot's of hate on this signing, but people just hate the oilers. Really good value signing for the best free agent, considering some of the other contracts thrown out yesterday. Lucic changes our team and we need that.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Only non Oiler fans hate the deal because they are scared.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't hate the deal. I'm not scared. The Oilers signing Lucic for that term is hilarious

GMs have been getting out of these long term deals with ease.. See Datsyuk , Ference, Tyutin etc..
Lucic is still in his prime so there is no point freaking out just yet... In 4/5 years his contract may become an issue but til then it is just what the adoc ordered for Oilers..

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's where a lot of people will disagree.

There's a very real chance that he will be an albatross the last 3 years of this deal, on a team that will have to extend McDavid and Puljujarvi.

Where exactly are the Oilers going to find size, muscle, and proven consistent production on McDavid's line for less? It's a rare combination that the Oilers needed, and they got it in FA without having to part with assets.

They have to protect their McDavid investment. 6 mil's an easy number to swallow for everything Lucic represents to Edmonton, because the prospect of their generational superstar getting cheap shotted with impunity is a lot more frightening than the prospect of diminishing returns from Lucic in 4 years. As a Pens fan, I'd have readily paid 6 mil per to have a 28 year old Gary Roberts signed through Sid's prime.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Source:
Lucic was offered more money over a longer term, by at least one other team but signed with the Oilers, Chiarelli said.

Chiarelli doesn't even try to make up a believeable lie. Unless L.A offered him 8 years, that's impossible. I doubt any team offered him more money with even an equal term, which is probably why he's an Oiler. :laugh:

DMR

Apr 29, 2010
Nobody is scared of Lucic. The NHL has the Instigator Rule. He can only fight and "protect" McDavid if somebody agrees to fight him. Teams can "Neal Sheehy" McDavid to death all they want and refuse to fight and there'd be nothing Lucic can do about it. There are plenty of guys in the league who'd be willing to abuse 97 and just laugh at Lucic and skate away from his post-whistle advances. Lucic is no scrub by any means but he's clearly a big step down from Hall.

At the end of the day Edmonton got a little better on defense (as Larsson is clearly a #3 caliber D man at best) and noticeably worse at LW.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Source:

Chiarelli doesn't even try to make up a believeable lie. Unless L.A offered him 8 years, that's impossible. I doubt any team offered him more money with even an equal term, which is probably why he's an Oiler. :laugh:

Yeah, LA offered him 8 years but only 34M. That's like 4.25M AAV. So yeah, he couldn't make up a believable lie.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Source:

McKenzie was discussing the potential of a sign and trade with Stamkos. The same thing might have been offered to Lucic. Chia has been extremely honest in his press conferences, so I can't see him suddenly making things up

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Source:

The Habs reportedly offered more money and the Kings offered 8 years (much lower AAV though). Im sure if LA had been willing to match or come close in AAV he would have stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad