Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Milan Lucic (7 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Great move. Chia has made the Oilers a tougher team to play against in the past few days. I like what we are building.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's certainly a bad contract with little likelihood of paying off in the latter half. But looking just at the player, he certainly is a good fit to play with any of Edmonton's three top 6 centers.

Got to hope it pays off big time in the short term, and in the long term they aren't damaged to bad by it. Quite a sizeable risk, but when you look at what all the other top line forwards went for, it's basically exactly the same as the rest.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers/salary ---> Do the math..

Even with McDavid at $9.7 in 2 years, we can handle that and more... thank god for Larson & Klefbom at $4.5 each.

First post, long time user... glad to be a part of HF!!

Welcome to hf.

There is this prevailing idea that edmonton is going to be in cap trouble, but it is far from the truth.
We don't have any awful contracts on the books. If mcdavid, drai and pulj all prove to be worth big money then that means they all played well and hold value. We'll sign the guys we need to, and move the players that are expendable.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Edmonton, today, is a lot better than Edmonton a week ago.
I wonder how they're going to keep this team together though if it does go well.

I can't tell if your avatar is Tobias Funke or Peter Chiarelli? :laugh:
image.php

latest

CcbWxQwW0AA8i4Q.jpg

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
lucic is a guy who can single handed turn games and even playoff series around... hes also a guy that can suck for half the games in a given season if hes battling nagging injuries.

as a bruin fan i saw this guy look like one of the top 20 players in the league many times... and ive seen him kill his line for weeks at a time.

if i was a playoff contender with unlimited caproom id be willing to go 8 mill a year for lucic the next 2 years... even 3 years...

there is no history in the nhl for a guy like this to remain effective beyond age 30/31

even a year before lucic was traded i was saying there was no chance we could justify a 6 year deal considering the facts. when lucic loses a step in 3 years he will finish his career as a 6 mill 4th liner for the final 3 years of this contract.

even a 3 year 27 mill deal would have been better ( assuming a team will be a contender for those 3 years)

varano

Jun 27, 2013
They got a captain in that deal but he'll be a bust in a couple years

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
So you have a problem with this signing, yet Vancouver signed Eriksson for the same price, one year less and he's 2 years older than Lucic. :huh:

That same poster, in the Eriksson thread said the Eriksson signing was good - "Well done." Very hypocritical. :shakehead

Most likely to avert attention away from the Oilers brass....saves Chiarelli an investigation into possible tampering.

It wouldn't have been tampering, there is a period between the draft and July 1 where teams are allowed to negotiate... he just probably wanted to entertain as many offers as possible.

Welcome to hf.

There is this prevailing idea that edmonton is going to be in cap trouble, but it is far from the truth.
We don't have any awful contracts on the books. If mcdavid, drai and pulj all prove to be worth big money then that means they all played well and hold value. We'll sign the guys we need to, and move the players that are expendable.

All teams with a lot of talent run into cap trouble... the Oilers will eventually be there too, especially with high end talent like McDavid. Like already mentioned here... it's a good thing we have the Klefbom-Larsson pairing locked up for $8.35m. You are dead on with the rest of your post... not a bad issue to have, you just need to retain the right guys.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Great short term outlook. He'll be a pain in our ass for 3-4 years, then a pain in yours for the last 3-4. Tough as nails and pretty skillful for a big guy.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I like all the armchair experts saying he will be a bust in a few years. he has barely missed a game since 2011. just because you hate the guy doesn't mean he won't work out well in edmonton

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Great short term outlook. He'll be a pain in our ass for 3-4 years, then a pain in yours for the last 3-4. Tough as nails and pretty skillful for a big guy.

Here's hoping he can stay healthy and effective.

I also have to add, given the rate of increasing contract sizes / increasing salary cap every year, 6 million AAV may not look as atrocious in 4-5 years when he's past his prime and takes a step back.

It wasn't that long ago we signed Dustin Penner for 4 million dollars AAV and that seemed like a lot haha

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers/salary ---> Do the math..

Even with McDavid at $9.7 in 2 years, we can handle that and more... thank god for Larson & Klefbom at $4.5 each.

First post, long time user... glad to be a part of HF!!

I've been spending too much time of general fanager over these few weeks watchin teams cap situations :laugh:
I believe they are fine with everyone they got right now, but if they run into some sort of problems I doubt they couldn't move Eberle/x quite easily at that point.
But still I*d say/guess they shouldn't go after bigger signings for some time unless they clear cap from the roster 1st.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Edmonton should be a lot more balanced now with some veteran presence as well as hungry you kids. They will no longer be the joke of the league but more like "oh **** we are playing Edmonton - this is going to hurt".

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Lucic knows how to drive up his value even further - play with McDavid. Good move.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Worrying about how he'll play in the last two years is like worrying that your wife will get fat

So that means he's going to be an awful player in a few years. Dang. :sarcasm:

Kidding.

Or am I.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
People are saying he'll be an awful player in 5 years? I'd be shocked if he doesn't start declining by year 2.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
LOL. Terrible contract. And Lucic won't help much. Edomonton is less talented than they were a week ago, and we can now watch the puck bounce over Lucic's stick all the time, as he falls down going into the corner. Sure he's tough....for maybe another 2 years......but he turns into a spaz in big games and that team is STILL full of young, talented, weak players.

Lottery pick for them next summer.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I do not see him keeping up to him unless he gets a 2 line start, dont expect too many tape to tape passes from him either

If Maroon can do it so can Lucic..
If not Pouliot and Maroon can go on McLine

Lucic-Draisiatl wouldnt be a shabby 2nd line

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
LOL. Terrible contract. And Lucic won't help much. Edomonton is less talented than they were a week ago, and we can now watch the puck bounce over Lucic's stick all the time, as he falls down going into the corner. Sure he's tough....for maybe another 2 years......but he turns into a spaz in big games and that team is STILL full of young, talented, weak players.

Yup McDavid, Draisiatl, Pouliot, Lucic, Maroon, Kassian , Puljujarvi, Hendricks... what a bunch of weak players..

Oilers forward group is very balanced now in terms of speed, skill,size and age.
Keep hatin!!

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

I would hate to hear what you think of the team you actually know stuff about, the leafs, if that's what you think of the oilers.:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad