Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Kris Russell (1 year, $3.1M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Long con by treliving. He'll be back in Calgary next year with wotherspoon on our bottom pairing filled with funny stories

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Without McDavid this current team is even worse imo. Chiarelli shouldn't get credit for drafting him.

[MOD] if you think this team isn't much better (on paper at least) than when Chia took over.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
[MOD] if you think this team isn't much better (on paper at least) than when Chia took over.

Talent wise they are worse but as a whole team they are better. They were massively unbalanced for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Talent wise they are worse but as a whole team they are better. They were massively unbalanced for years.

Pretty much although I question how much "talent" Yak has. The whole point of Chia's transactions are to build a better TEAM with more balance and more depth. We'll find out soon if the moves pay off, time to start showing significant improvement with on ice results.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
You know...EDM might be one of the teams who would be okay with Russell. A lot of fans were fearing that there team would pick Russell but he's not that bad for EDM.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Even talent wise is quite debatable when you look at all the roster spots.

Lucic is obviously a downgrade in talent from Hall, but McDavid upgrades on RNH, RNH upgrades on Derek Roy, Draisaitl upgrades on Lander, Maroon upgrades on Hendricks, Versteeg arguably upgrades on Purcell or at least breaks even, Caggiula more than likely upgrades on Yak, whether it be this season or in the future. Letestu, Kassian, and Hendricks certainly upgrade skill-wise over Klinkhammer, Gordon and Fraser. Thats not even factoring in what Puljujarvi could become.

The D and goaltending improved talent wise at basically every spot as well. I shouldn't have to tell anyone in Alberta how bad a top 4 of washed up Ference, Nikitin and Fayne and an "adventure" in Schultz really was compared to a top 4 of Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera and one of Russell, Davidson, or Nurse.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I like our current roster and where we are heading. Compare from 1 year.

M7m3FmN.gif

yea thats an insanely better roster, it actually looks like a team now.

that being said im not sure about Russel on the 2nd pair :D

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Without McDavid this current team is even worse imo. Chiarelli shouldn't get credit for drafting him.

Then your opinion doesn't hold much weight when it comes to the Oilers.

Rob Klinkhammer, Matt Fraser, Andrew Ference (past his prime), Nikita Nikitin, Ben Scrivens, Derek Roy (past his prime)

Which NHL clubs are these guys on again? :shakehead

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
no the part that I dont understand is stated below... I honestly dont understand what Chiarelli is doing...?

Sekera can play pretty well on the right side and there was no Russell caliber RHD to pick instead of him on a 1 year deal. This deal could enable a guy like Nurse to get some AHL seasoning that he otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
While I think the oil signing Russell is meh and the yak trade is super meh... big picture- Chiarelli did the right thing. If nurse is on the big club this year he can play minutes that will help the team. If not; this gives another (potential) full year of incubation for him and Reinhart in the A. You know, so they can develop without being expected to play big minutes when they really shouldn't. So while the moves this summer have been...whatever.... at least your gm has identified that edm futures still require seasoning, which is totally agreeable.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Eh, Letestu, Maroon, Kassian and Versteeg are garbage. The defense is better but still no high end D, just no bad D now.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Eh, Letestu, Maroon, Kassian and Versteeg are garbage. The defense is better but still no high end D, just no bad D now.

Maroon is garbage? :help:

He's been on fire ever since he was traded to the Oilers, 14 points in 16 games. Over the summer he's lost a ton of weight and looks to be in better shape than ever. Now he's picked up where he left off last season. Educate yo'self before you make comments like this please.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Helps out our bottom pair. Makes us deeper and better overall on D.

Gives us the option to start Nurse in Bakersfield and give him heavy minutes before being called up at some point. Hard not to like this signing.

:laugh: If you say so.

Seriously though, I really like Nurse, and was looking forward to watching him play a bit, I guess he just isn't ready yet. :(

He's better than people say, just keep expectations in check. Good #4.

He is a good #6.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
:laugh: If you say so.

Seriously though, I really like Nurse, and was looking forward to watching him play a bit, I guess he just isn't ready yet. :(

Klefbom has taken strides and has looked very good this preseason.

What about Sekera and Larsson?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Klefbom has taken strides and has looked very good this preseason.

What about Sekera and Larsson?

If, and when, Klefbom can play a full season, then we will know what the Oilers have in him.

Sekera didn't look great last season, but that could have been partner related I suppose.

Having a decent goalie will be the biggest help to the Oilers defense.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I guess I can't say anything negative about it because it's a one year deal, but I just don't get the appeal with this guy.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess I can't say anything negative about it because it's a one year deal, but I just don't get the appeal with this guy.

I think the appeal is he's better than what we had for the last D spot. Fayne is a poor puck mover and below average skater, Gryba is an awful skater and puck mover. At least Russell can skate, move the puck and block shots. Doesn't need to be a world beater to be an upgrade on that last spot.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think the appeal is he's better than what we had for the last D spot. Fayne is a poor puck mover and below average skater, Gryba is an awful skater and puck mover. At least Russell can skate, move the puck and block shots. Doesn't need to be a world beater to be an upgrade on that last spot.

I suppose, as long as it's a stop gap.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You know...EDM might be one of the teams who would be okay with Russell. A lot of fans were fearing that there team would pick Russell but he's not that bad for EDM.

I admit I'm happy he signed with Edmonton because Montreal was rumored to have had talks with Russel. I didn't want him signing with the Habs. Thanks Chia!

That said, a 1-year deal is low risk and worth a try in Edmonton.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I suppose, as long as it's a stop gap.

I expect it to be. My guess is they'll continue looking for options for a RHD throughout the season and into next off-season. Depending on the development of Nurse, Davidson and Benning (who imo has looked very solid this preseason) and how the expansion draft shakes out, his spot could be filled from within if nothing better comes along:

Klef-Larsson
Nurse/Davidson-Sekera
Nurse/Davidson-Benning

Would obviously be nice to add an offensive D, but I think if Klef stays healthy he can give us 35-40P this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad