Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Kris Russell (1 year, $3.1M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
They should've signed Wisniewski or Ehrhoff. They fit in with what they need as both play right side.

Chiarelli is a bad evaluator of talent as well as asset management.

This is possibly the worst post I've seen in awhile.

This can't be real.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Russell looked like a serviceable 4/5 NHL defender for us against Vancouver. Good skater, good skill and not afraid to mix it up a bit. He may not be a long term solution for us but he affords us the ability to bench a vet like Fayne who has been piss poor this preseason and/or to drop Nurse to a 3rd pairing or even AHL spot to add more seasoning to his game. Russell will have a lot bigger impact on our club than Yakupov would've this season.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Russell +3, 2 assists his first game. Looks like an excellent top 4 D. What a steal by Edmonton!

relax buddy. Elliot has holes everywhere and Flames looks horrible. Give it a couple of weeks atleast before calling him a steal or a bust

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
relax buddy. Elliot has holes everywhere and Flames looks horrible. Give it a couple of weeks atleast before calling him a steal or a bust

I like Russell a lot. I don't really put my stock in with the advanced stats guys who say he is awful, because I actually watch him and like his game. When he came to Dallas, you could see the whole team follow his lead and commit to blocking shots and team defense. It was a noticeable change.

That being said, the reason he didn't work out with the stars is because when the opponent was a larger, more physical team, he got absolutely dominated physically. It became routine to see him quite literally bounce off bigger players. He couldn't reliably win board battles or keep opposing forwards away from the net. He just doesn't have the hockey sense and stick-work to compensate the way that guys like Klingberg and Lindholm can. That's why he's a bottom pair guy and not a top-3 defenseman -- he needs to be sheltered and limited when the opposing forwards can impose their will on him physically.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
It's a good signing by Edmonton, russell's a decent 2nd pairing defenseman.

This. He really fills a massive hole on the Oilers backend, He will be a serviceable #4 that plays with a ton of heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad