Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Kris Russell (1 year, $3.1M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Does anyone else feel that Russell isn't the most financially smart if he had multiple offers for $3ish M and went with Edmonton? Firstly, he probably oversold himself and could've gotten a multi-year deal earlier in FA for $2.5-3 M but was probably gunning for $4 M. Secondly, there's a huge risk that his value TANKS in Edmonton after this 1 year deal if that team struggles (especially if he has to play out of his depth if there's injuries to only one of the other guys) which is gonna make it possibly even more difficult for him to get anything respectable the following summer.

Guy basically waits the whole summer and doesn't get the money or the term.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Without McDavid this current team is even worse imo. Chiarelli shouldn't get credit for drafting him.

Disagree completely.

So the only players of consequence we lose are Hall and Yakupov(who isn't good) and we add a #1 goalie, a top pairing d, and a "Lucic-type" player named Lucic. (plus like 6 players got upgraded)

I'm curious how it's not better even without McDavid?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Does anyone else feel that Russell isn't the most financially smart if he had multiple offers for $3ish M and went with Edmonton? Firstly, he probably oversold himself and could've gotten a multi-year deal earlier in FA for $2.5-3 M but was probably gunning for $4 M. Secondly, there's a huge risk that his value TANKS in Edmonton after this 1 year deal if that team struggles (especially if he has to play out of his depth if there's injuries to only one of the other guys) which is gonna make it possibly even more difficult for him to get anything respectable the following summer.

If anything I would think he is smart to take a 1 year deal in Edmonton. If he can consistently move the puck to the forwards he has potential to rack up a decent amount of points, especially with what a guy like McDavid can create off the rush. Add to that he could see some PP time and it seems like a pretty decent option for him if he wants a bigger pay raise.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
good signing for the Oilers. Maybe a big more than I thought he'd get, but I'm jealous they have him. He could have really solidified Ottawa's blue line.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
He's a solid PKer. He's a bad (to put it kindly) option for a #5/6 role.

To continue from the other thread:

Corsi For is used to primarily to quantify the frequency and quality of possession of the puck leaving the defensive zone, not how the defensmen handles the opposition possession upon defensive zone entry and limits their scoring chances. Also, counting shots are a poor metric for defenseman in general, since almost all defenseman will allow many more shots than they take, thus their direct play will generally have a negative affect on the Corsi number overall. In the Oilers case, poor defensive coverage by forwards will burden defensmen with lower numbers than they deserve, which is exacerbated by using Rel CF.

I suspect we'll have better stats than Corsi once the players and pucks are tracked by chips.

I also doubt the Oilers signed him to move the puck. He'll pair with Sekera or Davidson, both are better puck movers and Chiarelli's MO is all about making the Oilers harder to play against.

As long as he can make a decent first pass and stops laying down on the ice (an overcommit move even if you get a block) he'll do OK for a year.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Sweet. Basically this solves our D issue with not having to keep up anyone who isn't ready. He's not going to take up a spot for expansion. I like this a lot better than giving up promising young forwards (not Yakupov, that guy is total junk) for Fowler. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Fowler but this makes a lot more sense right now. Chia delivers. Very happy with this.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
No matter what people claim using their stupid advanced stats as proof, Russell is a solid Dman and even a better person for that room.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
It's a 1 year deal. If it doesn't work out, the Oilers have lost absolutely nothing.

0 risk, medium reward. I don't know how someone could complain about this signing.
no the part that I dont understand is stated below... I honestly dont understand what Chiarelli is doing...?

it exacerbates existing problems the Oilers have at even-strength and adds one more left-shooting defenceman to a roster badly overstocked with them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
no the part that I dont understand is stated below... I honestly dont understand what Chiarelli is doing...?

The existing problems in Edmonton were that some of the D can't move the puck properly and get hemmed in their own end. Russell is an upgrade on both Fayne and Gryba in that department so I'm not sure how it exacerbates the problem. As for the righty/lefty issue, Sekera looked great playing right side at the world cup and has done so in the past. Davidson has also looked fine playing the right side.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Without McDavid this current team is even worse imo. Chiarelli shouldn't get credit for drafting him.

That means you believe there are teams McDavid wouldn't improve. I'd love to hear who you think those are.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I'm not following the logic. He's competing with Davidson for the #4 spot, and will likely be our #5. One injury would make him play as the #4, and likely next to a top 3 dman. How is that any worse than what he's been doing (consistently playing top 4 in Calgary)? You're right about the contract though. It's less than he could have got earlier. Mind you, he's probably thinking he'll get better money next year, so why take term now?

The existing problems in Edmonton were that some of the D can't move the puck properly and get hemmed in their own end. Russell is an upgrade on both Fayne and Gryba in that department so I'm not sure how it exacerbates the problem. As for the righty/lefty issue, Sekera looked great playing right side at the world cup and has done so in the past. Davidson has also looked fine playing the right side.

Yep. The only dman we have that can't play the right side is Reinhart, and he's way down the depth chart. If Klefa/Sekera/Davidson/Nurse/etc have to play the right side, so be it

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This is a deal that I'd a no Brainer improvement for Edmonton. Cheapish vet that helps bring stability to the D. Still lacking top end D, but the D as a whole has improved a lot over last year with Larsson and Russell

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
It's a straight up culture change and this along with many of Chia's moves this summer has absolutely changes the face and identity of the Oilers.

Chia is truly giving McDavid a clean slate. This isn't the Oilers team that has the same stink on it that it had when McDavid came aboard. I think his moves have been fantastic and as far as I'm concerned he only made one bad move with Reinhart. All the others were the dirty jobs that had to be done and what he was hired to do. The fault on those losing moves should sit squarely on the shoulders of MacT and Lowe and do. Definitely not Chiarelli by any means. Another solid move that fits the Chiarelli MO.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Russell obviously believes he is worth more than the offers he potentially received. This 1 year deal, on a team on the rise, combined with hopefully a high octane offence, plenty of opportunity = working hard for his next contract.

Russell has put himself in a good position to increase his value for next year. Smart move, smart choice and place to play.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

we've had quite a few players choose to sign with us in the last few years so obviously these players feel we are on the verge of becoming a good team. We also lack offensive Dmen so we're a smart place for Russell considering he'll get some scoring minutes with good linemates.

As for what he could have got earlier in the summer, you may be right, but maybe no one would offer him a multi year deal because of his advanced stats.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I wonder if they gave Russel the bag of coal they got from St. Louis for Yakupuv? It can help keep him warm this winter.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Corsi For is used to primarily to quantify the frequency and quality of possession of the puck leaving the defensive zone, not how the defensmen handles the opposition possession upon defensive zone entry and limits their scoring chances. Also, counting shots are a poor metric for defenseman in general, since almost all defenseman will allow many more shots than they take, thus their direct play will generally have a negative affect on the Corsi number overall. In the Oilers case, poor defensive coverage by forwards will burden defensmen with lower numbers than they deserve, which is exacerbated by using Rel CF.

Every sentence here is wrong.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
This is a deal that I'd a no Brainer improvement for Edmonton. Cheapish vet that helps bring stability to the D. Still lacking top end D, but the D as a whole has improved a lot over last year with Larsson and Russell

cheap? not even cheapish for what he is.

Still, if there's money on the cap and you need a defenseman, buy a defenseman. who else was left? if russell at 3.1m is better than whoever at 900k even if he isn't a better value, why not get russell? 1 year.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Really like having actual NHL depth on D. Salary is a bit high, if he plays good and we choose to re-sign him I wouldn't want to sign him to more than the current $3.1M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad