Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Kris Russell (1 year, $3.1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
TSN

Oilers Nation

The Score

The Edmonton Oilers added a veteran body to their blue line on Friday, signing Kris Russell to a one-year, $3.1 million contract. The addition is relatively low-risk, makes sense from an asset management perspective and will bolster the club’s special teams. At the same time, it exacerbates existing problems the Oilers have at even-strength and adds one more left-shooting defenceman to a roster badly overstocked with them.

:laugh:

Discuss I guess

Last edited:

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Good signing. Russell isn't great, but he would be an improvement on the bottom pair at least. One year deal is perfect. Helps the team this season and lets EDM re-evaluate next year when other better options may be available and prospects have had another year of development.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Helps out our bottom pair. Makes us deeper and better overall on D.

Gives us the option to start Nurse in Bakersfield and give him heavy minutes before being called up at some point. Hard not to like this signing.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I like Russell the person. I like what he brings in intangibles to a team.

I do not like his on-ice play when he's forced into a top 4 role due to lack of depth or a coach who loves him too much.

Good luck Russell.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I like Russell the person. I like what he brings in intangibles to a team.

I do not like his on-ice play when he's forced into a top 4 role due to lack of depth or a coach who loves him too much.

Good luck Russell.

How is he as a #5/6 and PK type role?

I know Flames fans really liked him when he was on their team.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Good deal for the Oilers. Reinhart has sucked and Nurse should start on the farm. The Oilers are notorious for injuries and this gives us even more depth.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
1 year deal, we have lots of cap space. Doesn't affect us resigning Drai or McDavid, hard to not like this deal for EDM.

They should've signed Wisniewski or Ehrhoff. They fit in with what they need as both play right side.

Chiarelli is a bad evaluator of talent as well as asset management.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Was just starting to hope he would be coming back to Calgary. Oh well.

He's better than people say, just keep expectations in check. Good #4.

Thats really all we're asking of him, and he might not even be expected to play as a #4 if Davidson is able to play like he did last year or if Nurse takes a leap forward this year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
They should've signed Wisniewski or Ehrhoff. They fit in with what they need as both play right side.

Chiarelli is a bad evaluator of talent as well as asset management.

I like our current roster and where we are heading. Compare from 1 year.

M7m3FmN.gif

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Without McDavid this current team is even worse imo. Chiarelli shouldn't get credit for drafting him.

Worse? :laugh:

Sure thing, thanks for the laugh. The quality of players and depth at every position aren't even comparable.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Without McDavid this current team is even worse imo. Chiarelli shouldn't get credit for drafting him.

Even if you take out McDavid the 3rd and 4th lines are substantially improve, the D pairings are all improved, and the goaltending is improved. If you think otherwise then I would question if you ever watched a single game of the 2014-15 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad