Proposal: EDM Issues #1 Goalie options

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think the Oilers are stuck with Smith and Koskinen this season. Limited capspace to get a viable starter next season. Oilers cap is not structured to accommodate a high end starter. Team is built on scoring goals rather than preventing them.

Habs are not eating 5M in cap longterm for a later 1st and Lavoie. lol

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
As an Oil fan, I’m not really interested in any of those options. I think we’re going to simply ride it out with the current tandem and hope Smith can get hot at the right time.

As far as long term solutions, I’d be looking for a high end young guy. Maybe Spencer Knight (I know he’s had a rough season). The Panthers have Bobrovsky for the next 4 years and might consider parting with Knight based on a rough year this year? It’s risky on our end, but the guy is a high end prospect.

What that price tag looks like, I’m not sure. 1st + ?

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
The Oilers have been in search of an actual NHL goalie for years. They haven't drafted a goalie in the last two drafts. The goalies drafted before that are nothing to talk about. Firstly, fire the scout in charge of looking for goalies and start drafting properly. Until then, good luck in trading for retreads.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Honestly I don’t trust any of those four to be consistently any better than what the Oilers already have. Price has been injury prone for years, his contract is onerous even at 50% and he’s fresh outta substance abuse vacation. Varlamov is probably the best bet but even he is having a poor year. Quick is playing well this year but has been very poor the last three. How much gas does Fleury have left in the tank? Honestly between cap space and trade assets and other holes like 3C, and 2RW I’d rather see what a Skinner/Smith tandem looks like.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Im not saying Varlamov is the Oilers answer, but its comical that you think hes past his prime based off of an 8 game sample size. Most of the games he has played, the team was missing half of their players, and specifically defensemen.

Varlamov is still a very good goalie, and he has been great the past 3 years. Just because Sorokin is proving to be better doesnt mean Varly is past his prime.

You can win a stanley cup with Varly in net, i have absolutely no doubt about that. I cannot say the same for Koskinen.
Varlamov has played well over the last few years, including some good play in the playoffs. That description of him being a struggling and washed up goalie didn't seem particularly accurate imho. The Islanders have had issues and have struggled this year, and Leddy's departure created a hole and weakened their blueline. Goalies are typically not going to shine in this type of environment.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As an Oil fan, I’m not really interested in any of those options. I think we’re going to simply ride it out with the current tandem and hope Smith can get hot at the right time.

As far as long term solutions, I’d be looking for a high end young guy. Maybe Spencer Knight (I know he’s had a rough season). The Panthers have Bobrovsky for the next 4 years and might consider parting with Knight based on a rough year this year? It’s risky on our end, but the guy is a high end prospect.

What that price tag looks like, I’m not sure. 1st + ?
Far higher and lot more than Edmonton would be willing to part with.

realistically, if Edmonton isn’t parting with their 2022 1st round pick for one of the rental options discussed by the OP, what you’ve seen in the Oilers net so far this season are the same goalies you’ll roll with into the playoffs later this season.

it’s likely Edmonton is starting Smith or Koskenen in net game 1 as your playoff run begins. Good news is you’ll have your 2022 1st. Bad news, refs probably swallow their whistles again.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think the Oil need a 3C more than they need a goalie.

Though of course they want a goalie upgrade. I would wait until the deadline.
agree, EDM's bigger issues are bottom 6 players not goalie. not to say goalie isn't an issue, but it's not their biggest issue

and another thread on EDM goalies.. yay..

Reactions: majormajor

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Honestly Edmonton would be better suited trying to get Jake Allen, makes more sense money wise.

I am also OK with this idea. Maybe something like this:

To EDM: Chiarot (50% retained), Allen

To MTL: Koskinen (cap/roster purposes), 2022 1st, Lavoie

Reactions: majormajor

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

This seems like a fair and even trade. A rarity around HF. Good mix of meeting rental upgrade needs by parting with futures to a rebuilding team.

Gives the Habs a worse team to tank with, some 2022-23 cap space, a low 2022 1st and B+ prospect. Not a bad rebuilding move.

Oilers add a playoff goalie option and bottom pair and PK defender.

Last edited:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it's extremely unlikely that Montreal would have any interest at all in retaining 50 percent on Price. Then, on top of it you expect them to take on Koskinen's contract too? I don't see how a 1st and Lavoie are somehow worth an enormous salary retention and taking on a grossly overpaid player.

That's a pipe dream.
You think Montreal is just going to eat $25M in real money for Lavoie and a first?

You see with those packages it just doesn't make any sense price has the low of value, and I'm a oiler fan.

Price is the face of that franchise, I just don't see the Habs giving him up for that...

None of these options are viable.
Quick is 35, Varmarlov is 33 and his consistency is questionable, MaF is 37 and Price not only 34 but he's got his own issues to deal with before anyone considers his trade value.
None of these are viable options.
What is Edmonton supposed to do? Go out and spend a 1st rounder and a B to A level prospect every 2-3 years? That's insane.
If Edmonton is going to spend significant assets on a goalie, it's going to have to include a long term solution.

No way he's that good behind Edmonton's bluline this year.

options 2-4 make me find a new club. Those are beyond trash. Montreal in option 1 might not want to do that retention.

It seems there is a mixed bag on Price. Some think that he is washed up and not worth the amount offered and Habs fans still think he is a superstar and wouldn't be traded with retention for something as low as my proposal.

To Hab's fans: I feel you are not being very realistic in looking at the situation with Prices value right now. I know what is is to be attached to a player to hard and watch his value tank. Is he as good as you think he is after all of teh health and substance abuse problems, maybe, but other NHL GM's will view his contract as poison even with 50% retained. My offer was as high as I could convince myself to go given the term that is in that contract because a 36-38 year old goalie making above 5 is an anchor all of the time, so even though you ate 50% it still would suck if he drops off.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

I like the idea of getting an additional piece for our first with a sweetener. I actually priced all of the trades except the Price one with what i have seen other fan bases talk for value of their goalies. Allen is not my choice for main piece in net. If we are moving a first there has to be one piece int here that justifies this. This deal fills a number 6 d-slot and gives us a slightly better backup, but doesn't solve any problem fully at the expense of our first.

If we are talking about a long term solution then the first is just a starting point as shown by the never ending Gibson discussions. If the oilers are looking at any goalie with term they are risking losing either Yamamoto or Puljujarvi next year unless they move out long term money. This means Barrie or Kassian have to go. These are the only pieces that move enough money to make a difference in these discussions. Goaltending will be a flash point for years to come.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
lol, you're just giving away 1st round picks like it's Christmas (well, it actually is). A 1st round pick is the highest coveted asset in regards to drafting, which is the core of a franchise. Let's look at some of Edmonton's recent 1st rounders: Evan Bouchard, Philip Broberg, Xavier Borgeault, Dylan Holloway, Kailer Yamamoto, Jesse Puljujarvi. I don't know any Oiler fan, that would trade any of those prospects, just to swap a rental goaltender, every single one of them past their prime, and comes with cap problems
Edmonton and it's coveted 1st round pick. Might as well just wait until the summer, let Mikko/Skinner/Smith battle it out, and sign a free agent in the summer, without having to give up any assets at all, let alone a 1st round pick

Only on HF is a team with the 15th overall pick consider a coveted pick. Let's look at the status and draft position of some of the Oil's recent first rounders:

Bouchard: 10th overall, solid player 3 years after drafting
Yamamoto: 22nd overall, average player 4 years after drafting
Broberg: 8th overall, good prospect 2 years after drafting
Poolparty: 4th overall, good player 5 years after drafting

So the ones that are good prospects with the chance to become top line top pairing prospects were drafted top 10.

If Edmonton finishes the season with a 20th overall pick, good for them to be able to want a player to help when McDavid and Draisaitl contract's are up. My guess is that Edmonton doesn't want to wait to get their goaltending settled and would rather deal away a pick now. That pick might defy the odds and become a 2nd line forward or 2nd pairing defenseman five years from now but that doesn't help at all in the short term and it's a lot better than dealing away a recent prospect that might crack the roster this year or next.

Waiting til the offseason is smart though. You may get Fleury for free at age 38 if he wants to uproot him and his family again. Maybe Darcy Kuemper just hates playing for the Avalanche or that Toronto probably doesn't make an effort to resign Campbell.

There's always tons of great goaltenders in Free Agency. For example, you'll have your choice of David Rittich, Thomas Greiss, Martin Jones, Braden Holtby...wait...one of the most coveted FA goalies out there with recent success is already in-house! Enjoy resigning Koskinen.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm still pretty sure there have been talks with Oilers and Rask.
People assuming Rask has 2 options, Bruins or retirement are insane IMO. He still has some good years left, and would suit Oilers better than any other goalie right now.
Wouldn't he have to clear waivers for anyone but Boston?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad