Proposal: EDM-DET

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The ask might be an overpay from that perspective, but no team in the league is going to overpay for AA. Not even Edmonton who is desperate for a scoring winger. He is having a career year, that's true. He's on pace for what, 55 points? I guess I reserve "massive overpay" for elite players like Stone who would command a high price from Ottawa even if just a rental.

Only my opinion. I don't see Edmonton dealing the kinds of pieces being asked for here.
And that's fine, We'd gladly keep AA in Detroit for the long term.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Why in the world are they trading him? Wings aren't starting their 2nd rebuild. Wings are also fun to watch for the first time in about 5 years and finally are starting to have an identity, and that's speed, speed, speed and fast. AA is a HUGE part of that.

I don't see any reason why Detroit would want to trade one of their young player that is finally breaking out and looks like a faster skater than Larkin and McDavid.

What's the point? Do Wings need to start another rebuild already?

He mentioned that he could be just as fast as both Larkin and McDavid, That might be stretching it a bit there.

I agree with him on the rebuild part, and I get why Detroit wouldn't want to part with an exciting young player. The rest.. c'mon man.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
TFhockey. I agree the price on AA would be high. I said not for sale to simple avoid telling you the price.

I believe our GM looks at AA as this:

Young player, will be under team control for years and years. Has the ability to be a 30/30 player. That is a low end 1st line player, great 2nd line player. Now he is not that good yet, and his current value is more like low end 2nd liner, good 3rd liner. But he is trending upwards. He is also > 6 foot, and probably the same speed as Larkin. Both those guys are really really fast. Like its their #1 skill really. So AA is very much a new school NHL player adept for the new style of the future, and we have him for a while.

For us to move him... we would need a top 4 (quality) young D man. And nearly all teams will value that more than AA himself.
So what I mean is Holland will overvalue AA at current as a 2nd liner, when he is only a tweener. And we will gamble on him growing into that value, as opposed to trading him now for his "current" value.

Reactions: TFHockey

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
AA will only be involved in a trade if the player coming back is someone like Trouba. There is no reason for Detroit to gamble with a upward projecting kid like AA for another teams second tier prospects.

Reactions: TheMule93

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I agree with him on the rebuild part, and I get why Detroit wouldn't want to part with an exciting young player. The rest.. c'mon man.

When I watch Mcdavid skate fast I don't feel like it's nothing I don't see in any given DRW game nearly every game. Watching tape of break aways it looks like to me AA is faster. McDavid was #1 overall pick and dubbed to be the next generational player, so I get why people are nervous about questioning this. I don't care where he was drafted and how much hype he gets, I call a spade a spade.

And for the record, I've never read that above tweet. I don't have or read twitter or online social media. This is solely based on my own observation based on watching games. I think in a side-by-side straight line race Athanasiou is faster than both Larkin and McDavid.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think Detroit is wanting to trade their young productive forwards for picks and prospects. They are trying to rebuild, moving out one young player for younger question marks won't help them complete a rebuild, it just puts them behind. Plus, they could probably use AA to help improve their horrid blueline with current defensemen, not just prospects, if it came down to it. I'm sure Carolina would consider something with AA and some other pieces for Faulk. And that's only if Detroit actually wants to move him, he could eaasily be in the plans long term.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
For what feels like the 10000 time AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Cholowski and Hronek are not available for second round picks and okay prospects.

I can understand other fans not wanting to give up 1st round picks or top prospects. That said, these are all young, cost controlled pieces with years of control and will not be moved for anything less.

Reactions: Adityase

Dead Thing

Jun 24, 2018
Today's NHL is all about speed. So why would the Wings trade AA who is, without doubt, in the top 10 of
of speed demons(possibly in the top 5)in the league???

I stand to be corrected of course, but I'm not sure any other team can match the speed that Larkin, AA and Helm give the Wings.

Ya can't teach pure speed like AA has.

He's not going anywhere(especially since he is having his breakout year).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I totally understand that.

Did a previous poster just say he is faster than McDavid? Is that based on anything?

Athanasiou might be the fastest player in the league.

There’s evidence to suggest that Larkin at his best is as fast as McDavid, which is incredible in itself, but I actually think AA’s top speed beats out Larkin’s handily. I’ve never seen pure speed like Athanasiou’s.

At the very least, you could say Athanasiou is right behind McDavid and it wouldn’t be an exaggeration. But with that said, AA is nowhere near as good with the puck on his stick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton has a greater chance of landing the #1 overall pick, Then they do getting Nyquist to waive his full NTC to go there.

I have a couple thoughts on that, first off all Nyquist is having a really good season and he might not waive to go to a team like Edmonton to make sur ehe keeps it going and gets paid this offseason.

On the other hand, he could waive to go there and play with McDavid. His production goes up even more playing with McDavid, Edmonton sees a legit top 6 player that can play with McDavid so they pay him in the offseason instead of wasting McDavids prime playing with guys like Rattie or Chiasson.

I totally understand that.

Did a previous poster just say he is faster than McDavid? Is that based on anything?

Athanasiou is one of the guys who could definitely give McDavid a run for his money speed wise, with or without the puck. AA's big thing is that he cant think the game at that speed like McDavid does. He can stick handle at an elite level and skate at an elite level but doesnt have elite IQ.

I really dont think McDavid is clearly faster than a lot of guys in the league, its just that he can do things at that speed that others cant. I really dont feel like hes faster than Larkin or Athanasiou when I watch Edmonton play but more on the same, absolutely elite skater level. They just arent as good at other parts of the game

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
A 2nd rounder is useless and Bear seems like an average defensive prospect, which we have plenty of. AA on the other hand is a very intriguing player, he has amazing speed and stick handling ability, but always questioned his offense. Now his offense is coming along, so at the young age of 24 years old, I'd rather keep him as part of our core unless the Oilers are willing to part with something significant, what is that you ask? 1st rounders, high end prospects (Bouchard), or actual significant roster players on a similar level as AA, play and potential wise.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Athanasiou's top speed may very well be faster than Larkin or McDavid.

People shouldn't really get pissy about that, because speed aside, Larkin and obviously McDavid are both better overall skaters.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Nope for the last time AA isn't available, He's part of our future core. If AA we dealt to Edmonton it's going to hurt big time.

Yeah, a guy who can't beat out 4 wingers on the current Wings roster and is a third liner every night is part of the core. He's going to fly as soon has he hits UFA. Might as well trade him for defense help. Floating wingers are a dime a dozen.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
A 2nd rounder is useless and Bear seems like an average defensive prospect, which we have plenty of. AA on the other hand is a very intriguing player, he has amazing speed and stick handling ability, but always questioned his offense. Now his offense is coming along, so at the young age of 24 years old, I'd rather keep him as part of our core unless the Oilers are willing to part with something significant, what is that you ask? 1st rounders, high end prospects (Bouchard), or actual significant roster players on a similar level as AA, play and potential wise.
24 isn't young for a forward. Its pretty much the meaty part of most forwards prime. Detroit fans need to pump the breaks on the idea that he has a lot more room for development at 24/25. He is what he is, a streaky, lazy winger who when engaged is a very good player, but who knows if that guy will show up on any given night, or if he'll go on another 12 game goal drought.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Nope for the last time AA isn't available, He's part of our future core. If AA we dealt to Edmonton it's going to hurt big time.

What are Detroit’s needs? Haven’t seen you guys post a proposal in months. Are you guys strictly rebuilding through the draft?

And how much would it Be to acquire that Islanders 2nd rounder from you.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yeah, a guy who can't beat out 4 wingers on the current Wings roster and is a third liner every night is part of the core. He's going to fly as soon has he hits UFA. Might as well trade him for defense help. Floating wingers are a dime a dozen.

First of all, this is nothing but arbitrary speculation that I don't believe but whatever..

More importantly Athanasiou is an RFA when his current contract expires 1.5 years from now so the wings will maintain control for at least 1 more year after that. It is unreasonable premature to worry about trading him before he walks (especially when you consider the year over year improvements he has made).

Lastly the current offers are so underwhelming its pointless to trade him. a 2nd + Bear? we'd be lucky if either piece turned out to be half as effective as AA currently is.

24 isn't young for a forward. Its pretty much the meaty part of most forwards prime. Detroit fans need to pump the breaks on the idea that he has a lot more room for development at 24/25. He is what he is, a streaky, lazy winger who when engaged is a very good player, but who knows if that guy will show up on any given night, or if he'll go on another 12 game goal drought.

Even if he plateaus we are looking at a guy who will score 22+ goals over 82 games. Detroit Cannot afford to let that go for a 2nd round pick and a middling prospect.

Never mind the FACT that AA has progressed every single year he has been in the league and is one of the most exciting players on our current roster.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
What are Detroit’s needs? Haven’t seen you guys post a proposal in months. Are you guys strictly rebuilding through the draft?

To me the current plan is pretty straightforward: Let it ride for a year or two.

1) Let the young players develop while some of our veteran contracts expire (kronwall this year, Ericsson/Daley/Green next, Helm after that, etc.).
2) acquire picks/prospects for pending UFAs and veteran players when possible.
3) Use free'd up capital to extend young players and add UFA talent when it makes sense.

Concurrent to steps 1-3 we should be drafting near the top of every round hopefully adding high end talent in the process.

To me shipping out young controlled roster players has to be worth it, ie. not much point in making lateral moves or acquiring middling prospects/picks from other teams.

Now Holland is on record as wanting to be in playoffs next year; to an extent I believe that is what he really wants but at the end of the day I don't really seeing him deviating from the plan above. The one exception I can see is he might look to acquire a young NHL dman or blue chip prospect that can step in. How he goes about that is yet to be determined (for the right player only Larkin/Zadina would be completely off the table)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
First of all, this is nothing but arbitrary speculation that I don't believe but whatever..

More importantly Athanasiou is an RFA when his current contract expires 1.5 years from now so the wings will maintain control for at least 1 more year after that. It is unreasonable premature to worry about trading him before he walks (especially when you consider the year over year improvements he has made).

Lastly the current offers are so underwhelming its pointless to trade him. a 2nd + Bear? we'd be lucky if either piece turned out to be half as effective as AA currently is.

Even if he plateaus we are looking at a guy who will score 22+ goals over 82 games. Detroit Cannot afford to let that go for a 2nd round pick and a middling prospect.

Never mind the FACT that AA has progressed every single year he has been in the league and is one of the most exciting players on our current roster.

Yeah, Detroit should only make trades that would fly on NHL 19 with 'accept all trades' on. AA isn't some special player. He is currently in the mid 90s for ppg and there are over 100 players with more points than him. He doesn't play defense. Most games he's not engaged at all. AA is a middling forward playing a non-premium position. Detroit needs young defenders. They have all of 2 defenders that are under 28. Unless he's a piece, and not the center piece of a package, expecting the moon and stars for him is unrealistic and homerish behavior. And not trading him leaves them in the same spiral they've been in for nearly half a decade: A lot of wingers, no center or defense depth.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
To me the current plan is pretty straightforward: Let it ride for a year or two.

1) Let the young players develop while some of our veteran contracts expire (kronwall this year, Ericsson/Daley/Green next, Helm after that, etc.).
2) acquire picks/prospects for pending UFAs and veteran players when possible.
3) Use free'd up capital to extend young players and add UFA talent when it makes sense.

Concurrent to steps 1-3 we should be drafting near the top of every round hopefully adding high end talent in the process.

To me shipping out young controlled roster players has to be worth it, ie. not much point in making lateral moves or acquiring middling prospects/picks from other teams.

Now Holland is on record as wanting to be in playoffs next year; to an extent I believe that is what he really wants but at the end of the day I don't really seeing him deviating from the plan above. The one exception I can see is he might look to acquire a young NHL dman or blue chip prospect that can step in. How he goes about that is yet to be determined (for the right player only Larkin/Zadina would be completely off the table)

So you guys aren’t willing to move that Islanders second I take it? We’re gonna trade Silfverberg for a second ++ and I would like to use your Islanders second to move up.

I’m sure Oilers would be interested in that second also.

Edit: And no I’m not offering Silfverberg to you guys for the second. I’m just asking if you would possibly move that Islanders second. We’ll trade Silfverberg to someone else.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
So you guys aren’t willing to move that Islanders second I take it? We’re gonna trade Silfverberg for a second ++ and I would like to use your Islanders second to move up.

I’m sure Oilers would be interested in that second also.

Edit: And no I’m not offering Silfverberg to you guys for the second. I’m just asking if you would possibly move that Islanders second. We’ll trade Silfverberg to someone else.

Our picks are not for sale individually. Would have to be part of a package that brings in a solid prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad