Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Clearly I've got no horse in this race, but I think we can all agree that the Tax Calculator that's being used is pretty much useless. I mean, you think these guys are swinging by the mall in April and using H&R Block for their taxes? Hell, even I have a "tax guy", and I make a tenth what these players do! And yes, that guy is worth every penny he gets paid.
Good for you if you're making one tenth of what Nurse signed for.

And yes, you definitely need a tax guy if that's the case.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'm ecstatic Nurse is ours for the next 9 years. Keep in mind we just got Larsson'd, and also lost a top pairing young gun in Ethan Bear, who apparently was joyful to be traded.
Darnell Nurse is clearly our best defenseman and if he has another year where he's a top 10 Norris vote, he'll be a 27 yr old top 10 multi-dimensional defenseman that's a UFA. He would have over a dozen suitors offering him the same money/term or more, but the deciding factor might be standard of life. New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Florida, Toronto, Vancouver, etc. The temptation would be too great, and all of sudden Edmonton doesn't seem so desirable for him. Likely what happened with Adam Larsson. And losing Nurse would be astronomically worse than losing Larsson and could be detrimental to the trajectory they seem to be steadily climbing.

People lost their minds when Draisaitl got his 8.5/8 in 2017, after having a breakout season. Now it's one of the best contracts in the NHL.
9.25 is a big number, but it's a necessary sacrifice this franchise needs to make in order to secure the core of this team with a 'win now' window as they're entering their prime

I'm so glad we don't have to go through an entire season with speculation, swirling rumors, anxiety and eventually disappointment. Our home grown 26 yr old #1 defenseman isn't going anywhere for 9 years. F**k yeah
Draisaitls contract is one of the worst. He is severely underpaid. He and his agent should be bitchslapped for signing that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
But at the time when he signed it, fans and media were trash talking Oiler management for giving him that much. At the time his agent looked like a genius
I suspect that Draisaitl had offer sheets. We probably only hear about the ones that are signed. In Draisaitl's case, he probably used them as a negotiating tool. He likely had a couple 9 million offers, even 9+. I suspect Montreal, because at the time 1C was the missing piece, and Draisaitl was always a good horse to bet on.

With Nurse, being a UFA is bigger leverage than a signed offer sheet. Someone else would give him that money. I don't blame him at all. He's only made 14 million total up to this point, being bridge dealed to death.

Also, like Draisaitl, as a D Nurse isn't even at his absolute prime yet. He's also a great horse to bet on. Maybe I'm just a Nurse fan, but he's got elite skills in everything you cannot teach (again, very similar to Draisaitl's situation). His faults are simple things like cleaning up his defensive reads. I'm not too worried about this contract, especially if the cap jumps up as quickly as everyone is saying. It's the full 8 years.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
But at the time when he signed it, fans and media were trash talking Oiler management for giving him that much. At the time his agent looked like a genius
Sorry. But how does the fact that the Drai signing was great impact Nurse’s signing and make it great?
Are those who think Holland massively overpaid based on one good year entitled to drag out the Lucic contract as evidence?
I mean Holland wasn’t even the GM for either of those signings. It seems like a huge reach.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sorry. But how does the fact that the Drai signing was great impact Nurse’s signing and make it great?
Are those who think Holland massively overpaid based on one good year entitled to drag out the Lucic contract as evidence?
I think its just pointing out that people will almost always laugh at huge extensions when they aren't very aware of what the player brings. People ridiculed the Draisaitl deal, suggesting he was a product of McDavid, wasn't worth the money, would regress, wasn't as good as his points showed, etc. All the same arguments we see in this thread about Nurse. Nurse was 7th in Norris voting last year, and while I don't think the NHL awards are the be all and end all, he has clearly become a top 10 defenseman in the NHL, is a key piece on a pretty good team, and as such he has earned his big contract. But people will sit back and laugh about it and be proven wrong eventually, just as those who laughed and said that Draisaitl was overpaid have been.

The Lucic contract would be an odd one to use to compare to this one. He wasn't coming off a particularly strong year, he got his contract based on reputation and Stanley Cup pedigree. Nurse received his contract based on what happened in the most recent NHL season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I mean Holland wasn’t even the GM for either of those signings. It seems like a huge reach.

Sorry no my comment had nothing to do with Nurse's contract... was just touching on the previous comment about Drai... sorry totally went off topic lol

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Nurse is a great example of why teams should go the Draisaitl route with their key players. If they had done that instead of bridging him twice he would be signed for another 5 years at maybe 7M right now.

To the point some others are making though, that contract would have been torn apart on here in said contracts version of this thread.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think its just pointing out that people will almost always laugh at huge extensions when they aren't very aware of what the player brings. People ridiculed the Draisaitl deal, suggesting he was a product of McDavid, wasn't worth the money, would regress, wasn't as good as his points showed, etc. All the same arguments we see in this thread about Nurse. Nurse was 7th in Norris voting last year, and while I don't think the NHL awards are the be all and end all, he has clearly become a top 10 defenseman in the NHL, is a key piece on a pretty good team, and as such he has earned his big contract. But people will sit back and laugh about it and be proven wrong eventually, just as those who laughed and said that Draisaitl was overpaid have been.

The Lucic contract would be an odd one to use to compare to this one. He wasn't coming off a particularly strong year, he got his contract based on reputation and Stanley Cup pedigree. Nurse received his contract based on what happened in the most recent NHL season.
The Draisaitl one is an odd one to use as well as he was 21 years old. Edmonton has made some great signings and some dreadful ones. They have absolutely no bearing on the Nurse contract. It’s a dumb argument.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's only a dumb argument if you refuse to see the parallels.
No. It’s a dumb argument to establish parallels that don’t exist.
For every good signing at age 26 you can find a poor one. The Drai signing in no way impacts the Nurse signing.
Stick to arguing about Nurse rather than using false analogies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad