Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
More or less outside of the top 5 in a category you get some homer votes here and a bunch of 5th place votes to recognize a good season.

Nurse finished 7th in voting just in front or Mackenzie Weegar and just behind Shea Theodore

All voting is publicly visible here:
Interesting looking at that, Nurse got 3 x 2nd place votes.
2 of those votes came from people who had Hedman ranked 1st. Most fans, even TB fans, seem to agree that Hedman shouldn't have been in the conversation this year.
1 of them came from Eric Francis who is a complete tool, wouldn't be surprised if he voted that way just to stir up crap. Listen to any press conference he is in, he is always being a jackass and trying to stir up controversy and be as edgy as possible.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Its not small market, its the Edmonton (Winnipeg, Buffalo, etc etc) tax. It has nothing to do with large or small markets, and has everything to do with being far less desirable to most people. Beyond the city itself taxes are an issue that canont be ignored.

Nurse is a very good player, but overpaid and for way too many years, it will be an anchor at some point.
Alberta teams are actually middle of the pack when it comes to taxes in the nhl.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Which ones? On the ice for 81 goals for at even strength 60 against. CF at even strength is positive. Relative possession numbers at even strength are positive.

There’s a guy with a chart somewhere that tells us Martin Marincin is an elite #1 D

Reactions: MessierII

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Ek65 has won more playoff series than Nurse in the last 3 years and that's still hilarious.
Nurse would be lucky to hit Karlssons peak, it’s unfortunate that injuries wrecked his career

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If Oiler fans are happy who are we to argue? They have had an interesting summer.

It seems high to me but he still has upside.

Reactions: Gh0st

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I'm ecstatic Nurse is ours for the next 9 years. Keep in mind we just got Larsson'd, and also lost a top pairing young gun in Ethan Bear, who apparently was joyful to be traded.
Darnell Nurse is clearly our best defenseman and if he has another year where he's a top 10 Norris vote, he'll be a 27 yr old top 10 multi-dimensional defenseman that's a UFA. He would have over a dozen suitors offering him the same money/term or more, but the deciding factor might be standard of life. New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Florida, Toronto, Vancouver, etc. The temptation would be too great, and all of sudden Edmonton doesn't seem so desirable for him. Likely what happened with Adam Larsson. And losing Nurse would be astronomically worse than losing Larsson and could be detrimental to the trajectory they seem to be steadily climbing.

People lost their minds when Draisaitl got his 8.5/8 in 2017, after having a breakout season. Now it's one of the best contracts in the NHL.
9.25 is a big number, but it's a necessary sacrifice this franchise needs to make in order to secure the core of this team with a 'win now' window as they're entering their prime

I'm so glad we don't have to go through an entire season with speculation, swirling rumors, anxiety and eventually disappointment. Our home grown 26 yr old #1 defenseman isn't going anywhere for 9 years. F**k yeah

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
I get the gotta defend your contract, if you're an Oilers fan, but at least they won those playoff rohnds before they nuked themselves.

How did Edmonton nuke themselves? They're going into this season with likely the best team they had in 15 years and Nurse actually props their defense up

Reactions: snipes

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I don't care what people say about my comment, but on the Vancouver Canucks Darnell Nurse would be a 2nd pairing dman last year, and would also be a 2nd pairing dman this coming season. His stats were racked on the heels of playing with 2 150 point players.
A. Playing with connor and draisaitl isn't changing over the next 5 years so if that's true look for him to continue to pile up points.
B. Would much have nurse then anybody you think is a #1 on Vancouver especially Hughes. Brings way more to the table. When it comes to playoffs Hughes is just another Johnny hockey. To small to be a factor. Only difference is he'll be about way more expensive.

Mar 26, 2010
I don't care what people say about my comment, but on the Vancouver Canucks Darnell Nurse would be a 2nd pairing dman last year, and would also be a 2nd pairing dman this coming season. His stats were racked on the heels of playing with 2 150 point players.
I agree with you. Nurse is a 2nd pairing D man at best. He fleeced the Oilers. Lol

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If Nurse gets #1 money, they will both be getting generational money
Fox forced his way to the rangers refusing to sign with 2 other teams. I’m sure he’s not well liked by either fan base, especially the way he’s turned out. Fox is going to get paid for sure but I really wouldn’t expect it to be a lot more then 9.5 per on a 8 year deal
Of course, it will be a signature rangers deal where the player gets paid 95% of the money in the first 3-4 seasons. Front loaded out the wazzou.
That’s a huge appeal to both. Players and agents. Let’s them put their money to work for them making more money in a shorter time span.
Not a lot of teams can offer that nowadays

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
:huh: Huh? Stop with the truths?

The net incomes I provided were 100% accurate and absolutely relevant to your comment that Nurse makes the same money as Point.

Holland is a terrible GM.. 100% on the same page.

The Oilers did over pay for Nurse by about 1.25 million AAV. Why, because Edmonton is one of the least desirable markets in the NHL for an NHL player and they always have to over pay... another truth.

Why are you so upset by my truthful responses that Point makes 20% more than Nurse? I even provided you all of the evidence of that. You are being immature and childish in your responses because your comment of Nurse making the same as Point was proven very far from being intelligent.

Clearly I've got no horse in this race, but I think we can all agree that the Tax Calculator that's being used is pretty much useless. I mean, you think these guys are swinging by the mall in April and using H&R Block for their taxes? Hell, even I have a "tax guy", and I make a tenth what these players do! And yes, that guy is worth every penny he gets paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad