Proposal: EDM - CHI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Why is it that so many trades has Barrie going back in the trade to be followed up by oiler fans saying he is not a cap dump? No one wants to pay the guy that kind of money for what he offers.

If you knew much about the Oilers it would be obvious. Bouchard has replaced Barrie and is younger and at a lower cap hit. That is why Barrie is available. He is extraneous to the Oilers blueline.

That does not make him a cap dump.

Reactions: Ragdoll and PuckG

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
That does not make him a cap dump.

actually that’s what it means. His narrow role has been replaced so now the team doesn’t have a spot for him and would like to allocate his cap somewhere else.

I think what you mean is the player doesn’t have negative value. Which I agree with.

I have never seen a player lead the league in points for his position get so much disrespect like anyone could achieve that. Clearly Bouchard isn’t leading the league in D points so simply play with with the 2 studs on a PP isn’t enough on its own, Barrie clearly was part of the success of that PP unit

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Barrie’s defense will always make him hard to trade. His underlying metics really hurt. Unless at team wants a PP 1 QB, I don’t see a market for him where Edmonton can expect a pick or good player coming back.

Chicago has Seth Jones for PP1. They don’t need Barrie for what he’s best at. The power play.

you oil fans can scream from the roof tops Barrie has value, but a lot of us disagree. I think there is a finite and small number of teams that would want him.

So you think there are teams that want him, but also suggest that those teams won't take him without something attached. Nobody is suggesting that every team wants Barrie. I think if you have been paying attention, most Oiler fans recognize that when he is made available, there won't be 30 teams banging down the door to get him. I also am pretty sure I commented in this thread that Chicago isn't a fit because they have Jones.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why is it that so many trades has Barrie going back in the trade to be followed up by oiler fans saying he is not a cap dump? No one wants to pay the guy that kind of money for what he offers.
Look at similar players and what they make and you will see that Barrie's contract isn't out of line with similar players.

The reasons that Oiler fans are shopping Barrie are:
1) Evan Bouchard does most of what Barrie does offensively at ELC price.
2) Edmonton needs cap space to improve in goal
3) Edmonton has exactly zero shut down defensemen. Nurse and Bouchard aren't available, Keith isn't tradeable, Ceci is the closest thing we have to a shut down guy as is, and Russell/Koekoek/Lagesson have no value to include in a deal for a shut down defenseman. That leaves Barrie as the odd man out as he is the only one that is tradeable that could also be seen as expendable. Our lack of shut down defenseman reflects an over-abundance of puck movers.
4) Edmonton's only other big contracts are either core pieces (McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Nurse), untradeable (Koskinen, Keith), or likely have so little trade value involved that its hardly worth moving them. Again, Barrie is the odd man out as the only guy we can move out, replace with a guy more suitable to the role he will have moving forward, and save some cap.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
What do you think the term “chief” refers to? Seriously after how anti-racism has exploded the past few years, there is exactly zero reason you don’t know this unless it is willful ignorance.

Come on... the word chief has been used in English since the 1200s to mean the leader of a group of people. It comes to English from Latin through French, and is related to the words head, captain, chieftain, chef, cap, kaput...

It's a strange word to use in this context, but it's not automatically racist just because someone uses it.

thesaadfather

Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Just doesn’t make sense for the Hawks. Top 4 RD is about the only part of the Hawks roster set right. Jones does the offensive stuff, Murphy does the defensive. I imagine they wanna keep that stability for now, unless the new guy thinks he can find a great deal.

What do you think the term “chief” refers to? Seriously after how anti-racism has exploded the past few years, there is exactly zero reason you don’t know this unless it is willful ignorance.
Go outside.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So you think there are teams that want him, but also suggest that those teams won't take him without something attached. Nobody is suggesting that every team wants Barrie. I think if you have been paying attention, most Oiler fans recognize that when he is made available, there won't be 30 teams banging down the door to get him. I also am pretty sure I commented in this thread that Chicago isn't a fit because they have Jones.
I can’t think of a single team that needs Barrie right now that can handle that contract. That needs a PP 1 QB and is a playoff contender.

Can you?

I can’t justify why a rebuilding team would acquire a 30 year old Barrie with two more years of term. They’d want an incentive to help the oil free up that cap space.

His contract is what it is because he’s the PP1 QB for the Oil.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A second and a B prospect?

While Barrie gets traded with a pick attached to a bad team with cap space in order to move his deal and the remaining term. Which bad team needs a 31 year old Berrie making $4.5mm for the next few years? I can think of zero. That’s not a rebuilding move.

the other option is Edmonton takes on someone else’s bad contract with similar term and AAV in a change of scenery deal.
Wrong.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Don’t think I am. The oil have very few teams that I believe could or would consider trading for Barrie. I can’t think of a single one that gives the oil anything of value for him.

Well, actual GMs might. We'll have to wait and see.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I may have not taken into account Chicago's needs enough in this proposal. Mea Culpa.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Don’t think I am. The oil have very few teams that I believe could or would consider trading for Barrie. I can’t think of a single one that gives the oil anything of value for him.
Just look for teams with poor powerplay units and weak organizational depth at right defense. It won't happen midseason, but there will always be an offseason market for NHL defensemen that can outscore most forwards.

The Oilers also aren't in a position where they're desperately trying to get rid of him because they aren't exactly bursting at the seams with depth at the position either.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
maybe we could stop with the racist insults?

Pleassssseeeee don't let the world make calling someone "chief" a "racist insult" now...

I can't even fathom how you came to the conclusion it was racist or an insult given they both said "chief" back and forth like 4x prior and neither have any sort of name/photo that would lead to this being even remotely seen as racist

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I could see a team like Boston swapping Ullmark for him and a pick. Swayman is the future and Rask could play another year.

That’s about the only way to get value on Barrie. Address a need and balance cap for another player that could be deemed expendable by another club

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's because you are an Oiler hater. There aren't least a half dozen teams that could use a drastic upgrade in both puck moving RD and PK qb.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I can’t think of a single team that needs Barrie right now that can handle that contract. That needs a PP 1 QB and is a playoff contender.

Can you?

I can’t justify why a rebuilding team would acquire a 30 year old Barrie with two more years of term. They’d want an incentive to help the oil free up that cap space.

His contract is what it is because he’s the PP1 QB for the Oil.
Why does it have to be a playoff contender? It doesn't. It would need to be a team that wants to be a playoff contender which is basicallu every team in the league most years. A quick suggestion would be New Jersey. Awful powerplay. 1 RD is Damon Severson, who isn't a 1D in any sense. Losing a RD to free agency this summer so their is space on the roster plus there were rumblings that Severson is available which would mean they need two RD for next year. Would they give up a 1st? No. But that's fine, we would rather a hockey trade anyway.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I could see a team like Boston swapping Ullmark for him and a pick. Swayman is the future and Rask could play another year.

That’s about the only way to get value on Barrie. Address a need and balance cap for another player that could be deemed expendable by another club
I don't actually expect Ullmark is available but that's exactly the type of trade that Edmonton would want. Barrie for a 1G or a package including a shutdown d and 3rd line grinder or something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad