Proposal: EDM - CHI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You don't know what you're talking about.
No one outside of Edmonton values Barrie as anything but a cap dump. In a world where the cap isn’t rising much, clearing 4.5 million is a 1st

Last edited:
Reactions: McJedi

RN61k

Jan 18, 2022
Regardless of whether Barrie is a cap dump or not, I think EDM are stuck with Barrie for the time being as they will have a tough time finding someone who would trade for him. Rebuilding teams are not going to be trading for 30 year old dmens who can't play defense @4.5 for 2 more years without an asset attached and contenders don't want/have cap for someone like him.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Don’t think I am. The oil have very few teams that I believe could or would consider trading for Barrie. I can’t think of a single one that gives the oil anything of value for him.

I agree. Edmonton fans need to tell us which teams need him at his cap hit and why trading for him would benefit them.

They can't so......

Reactions: McJedi

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Which he is viewed as, just look through this thread
Lots of people are wrong. That's okay. People laughed when he signed in Edmonton in the first place. All he did was lead defensemen in points that year. HF doesn't hold any affinity for offensive defensemen at all so it isn't entirely surprising but it's been that way for a long time, yet we still see NHL teams making moves to get them.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Which he is viewed as, just look through this thread

HF opinions don't match the real world in a lot of cases. Bluntly, no one on here every get real trades right. Once in a blue moon someone is close. That is about as good as it gets. In this case, the consensus on HF about Barrie is pretty far off. He has value in the NHL.

I agree. Edmonton fans need to tell us which teams need him at his cap hit and why trading for him would benefit them.

They can't so......

Someone mentioned that we should try and find teams where he makes sense. He makes sense on a lot of teams, it is just fans on here who can't get their minds around it.

For my part, I think Barrie, as a RHD signed for two and a half remaining years at $4.5 Million and is 30 years old has value in the league. I'd focus on teams that have a poor power play where he'd make the best impact.

I was surprised to learn Washington has a PP rated at 13.85%. With Justin Schultz coming off the books this year maybe they'd like to acquire Barrie in the off season.

Minnesota has a power play spluttering along at 17.27%. Goligoski is coming off the books this year. They could use some power play help and they have cap space to take on Barrie.

Just two teams right there.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Lol that is literally truthful for every trade doesn't make a first and prospect any less laughable chief.

1st + for Murphy is pretty reasonable. He's a good #2/3 28yr old DMan who is signed for 4 more years at a very good price.

Have you considered that you don't really know what you're talking about?

Reactions: Space umpire

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Lots of people are wrong. That's okay. People laughed when he signed in Edmonton in the first place. All he did was lead defensemen in points that year. HF doesn't hold any affinity for offensive defensemen at all so it isn't entirely surprising but it's been that way for a long time, yet we still see NHL teams making moves to get them.
And wasn’t he the first defenceman to lead the league in points without any Norris votes? One good offensive year doesn’t overshadowed many years of being a defensive black hole

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
If the Hawks were to take on Barrie’s salary it would be for more than a flipping 3rd rounder. Ed really needs to keep their picks or else go all in for the next 2 years and hope for the best.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And wasn’t he the first defenceman to lead the league in points without any Norris votes? One good offensive year doesn’t overshadowed many years of being a defensive black hole
No Norris votes doesn't make him awful. It means nobody thinks he is a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. Which is fair, nobody is selling him as a top 5 defenseman.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
HF opinions don't match the real world in a lot of cases. Bluntly, no one on here every get real trades right. Once in a blue moon someone is close. That is about as good as it gets. In this case, the consensus on HF about Barrie is pretty far off. He has value in the NHL.

Someone mentioned that we should try and find teams where he makes sense. He makes sense on a lot of teams, it is just fans on here who can't get their minds around it.

For my part, I think Barrie, as a RHD signed for two and a half remaining years at $4.5 Million and is 30 years old has value in the league. I'd focus on teams that have a poor power play where he'd make the best impact.

I was surprised to learn Washington has a PP rated at 13.85%. With Justin Schultz coming off the books this year maybe they'd like to acquire Barrie in the off season.

Minnesota has a power play spluttering along at 17.27%. Goligoski is coming off the books this year. They could use some power play help and they have cap space to take on Barrie.

Just two teams right there.
New Jersey isn't a contender, but they also have Damon Severson on the powerplay. Barrie has to be an upgrade there, and with Subban's monster deal coming off the books NJ has the cap space to bring in Barrie. Heck, their fans were trying to find a taker for Severson a few weeks back so we know how well that is working out.

Montreal might be starting a rebuild (more likely looking to retool IMO) and are trying to trade basically any veteran defenseman they have for futures. If they could replace their veteran guys with Barrie in a hockey trade for depth forwards, that might be of interest, and it would certainly help their anemic powerplay.

Philly is losing half of their current defense core to free agency this summer. Their fans never seem happy with offense first defensemen, but it doesn't seem to stop their GM from going after them.

Columbus has Werenski for the PP on the left side, but their right side is pretty weak as far as puck moving is concerned. The only one who could be classified as a puck mover is Boqvist, and he's been even one of the worst defensemen in the NHL densively and is all potential at this point. If Columbus is tired of trying to get him to work, they would be in the market for a puck moving RD.

Ottawa is weak on the right side and could use a puck mover.

There are plenty of teams that could use Barrie.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
1st + for Murphy is pretty reasonable. He's a good #2/3 28yr old DMan who is signed for 4 more years at a very good price.

Have you considered that you don't really know what you're talking about?
Lol Connor murphy isn't. 2/3. He's a bottom pairing defenseman who has no offense to his game.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Why does it have to be a playoff contender? It doesn't. It would need to be a team that wants to be a playoff contender which is basicallu every team in the league most years. A quick suggestion would be New Jersey. Awful powerplay. 1 RD is Damon Severson, who isn't a 1D in any sense. Losing a RD to free agency this summer so their is space on the roster plus there were rumblings that Severson is available which would mean they need two RD for next year. Would they give up a 1st? No. But that's fine, we would rather a hockey trade anyway.
New Jersey has Dougie Hamilton my man. That’s your PP 1 QB and a good one too. They would have zero interest in Barrie unless you’re attaching assets.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That's because you are an Oiler hater. There aren't least a half dozen teams that could use a drastic upgrade in both puck moving RD and PK qb.
I just defended the oil about their 2021 1st round pick. Went out of my way to do so. I’m very fair about them.

you can’t name a team that needs Barrie at his cap hit and their journey to relevance. You tried Jersey but I easily blew that apart. Chicago has been blown apart as well though it wasn’t you that suggested them.

my point remains I don’t think you can find a team that will give you any value for him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I could see a team like Boston swapping Ullmark for him and a pick. Swayman is the future and Rask could play another year.

That’s about the only way to get value on Barrie. Address a need and balance cap for another player that could be deemed expendable by another club
This may work. Better option than Phoenix, Chicago or Jersey.

that pick is your 2022 1st btw and probably someone like Savoie.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Just look for teams with poor powerplay units and weak organizational depth at right defense. It won't happen midseason, but there will always be an offseason market for NHL defensemen that can outscore most forwards.

The Oilers also aren't in a position where they're desperately trying to get rid of him because they aren't exactly bursting at the seams with depth at the position either.
Fair enough. I agree that any Barrie move is far far more likely in mid July than March.

WeatherBeaten

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey isn't a contender, but they also have Damon Severson on the powerplay. Barrie has to be an upgrade there, and with Subban's monster deal coming off the books NJ has the cap space to bring in Barrie. Heck, their fans were trying to find a taker for Severson a few weeks back so we know how well that is working out.

Montreal might be starting a rebuild (more likely looking to retool IMO) and are trying to trade basically any veteran defenseman they have for futures. If they could replace their veteran guys with Barrie in a hockey trade for depth forwards, that might be of interest, and it would certainly help their anemic powerplay.

Philly is losing half of their current defense core to free agency this summer. Their fans never seem happy with offense first defensemen, but it doesn't seem to stop their GM from going after them.

Columbus has Werenski for the PP on the left side, but their right side is pretty weak as far as puck moving is concerned. The only one who could be classified as a puck mover is Boqvist, and he's been even one of the worst defensemen in the NHL densively and is all potential at this point. If Columbus is tired of trying to get him to work, they would be in the market for a puck moving RD.

Ottawa is weak on the right side and could use a puck mover.

There are plenty of teams that could use Barrie.
After attaching assets to get rid of Ghost last summer, I could definitely see Fletcher turning around and trading something valuable for Barrie. It would be the ultimate Flyers thing to do.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I can understand the ask, but I am not sure that is what he'll get. I am not trying to rip off the Hawks. Here is my reasoning:

It looks to me that Chicago is out of it this year. They have too much ground to make up and they are running out of games to do it. All of the teams right in front of them have games in hand as well.

If Chicago is out of the playoff they should be looking towards next year and making trades to get picks and prospects. I think the window for more cup runs has closed for them.

Last year we saw some defensemen go for really high prices. Ristolainen and Savard come to mind.

I *think* this year will be a much different trade deadline. It looks like more teams are out of the running than last year and more guys are going to be available. I believe that will drive the price down on a number of players. So asking for what some players got last year isn't going to match the reality of trades this year. At least that is what I believe will happen.

So I think this is a fair offer for the Hawks, but I don't know if they really want to deal Connor Murphy at all or what his real world trade value will end up being.
Just so I understand your take. Chicago is probably out of the playoffs, so they trade their 28 year old defense first RHD making $3.85, but going up to $4.4 next season for Tyson Barrie, a 30 year old offense first RHD and a 3rd. This isn't taking into account that Jones is the Hawks offensive RHD, and a more defensive defender probably makes more sense for the team moving forward. I think the Hawks would absolutely trade Murphy, but it would be for the best futures package you could get, not an older less defensive version of what they already have. So I don't think this is a fair offer for the Hawks (and I don't like the Hawks).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad