Proposal: EDM - CHI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Honestly not sure. My guess is they’ll ask for a first and a prospect. Don’t know though.

I can understand the ask, but I am not sure that is what he'll get. I am not trying to rip off the Hawks. Here is my reasoning:

It looks to me that Chicago is out of it this year. They have too much ground to make up and they are running out of games to do it. All of the teams right in front of them have games in hand as well.

If Chicago is out of the playoff they should be looking towards next year and making trades to get picks and prospects. I think the window for more cup runs has closed for them.

Last year we saw some defensemen go for really high prices. Ristolainen and Savard come to mind.

I *think* this year will be a much different trade deadline. It looks like more teams are out of the running than last year and more guys are going to be available. I believe that will drive the price down on a number of players. So asking for what some players got last year isn't going to match the reality of trades this year. At least that is what I believe will happen.

So I think this is a fair offer for the Hawks, but I don't know if they really want to deal Connor Murphy at all or what his real world trade value will end up being.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I can understand the ask, but I am not sure that is what he'll get. I am not trying to rip off the Hawks. Here is my reasoning:

It looks to me that Chicago is out of it this year. They have too much ground to make up and they are running out of games to do it. All of the teams right in front of them have games in hand as well.

If Chicago is out of the playoff they should be looking towards next year and making trades to get picks and prospects. I think the window for more cup runs has closed for them.

Last year we saw some defensemen go for really high prices. Ristolainen and Savard come to mind.

I *think* this year will be a much different trade deadline. It looks like more teams are out of the running than last year and more guys are going to be available. I believe that will drive the price down on a number of players. So asking for what some players got last year isn't going to match the reality of trades this year. At least that is what I believe will happen.

So I think this is a fair offer for the Hawks, but I don't know if they really want to deal Connor Murphy at all or what his real world trade value will end up being.

Fair enough. Who knows the old Gm gave him the extension. Interim guy in. Can he make that type of deal. And like you said who knows if they really even want to move on from him.

Trade wise my guess it will be a offseason type of deal.

Reactions: TFHockey

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What does Connor Murphy go for if he is made available this year do you think? Serious question.
A second and a B prospect?

While Barrie gets traded with a pick attached to a bad team with cap space in order to move his deal and the remaining term. Which bad team needs a 31 year old Berrie making $4.5mm for the next few years? I can think of zero. That’s not a rebuilding move.

the other option is Edmonton takes on someone else’s bad contract with similar term and AAV in a change of scenery deal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

While Barrie gets traded with a pick attached to a bad team with cap space in order to move his deal and the remaining term. Which bad team needs a 31 year old Berrie making $4.5mm for the next few years? I can think of zero. That’s not a rebuilding move.

the other option is Edmonton takes on someone else’s bad contract with similar term and AAV in a change of scenery deal.

Chicago's power play is somewhere around 18%. They could use a power play quarterback like Barrie.

Barrie isn't a cap dump in the actual NHL, no matter what the HF narrative is.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Oh lord, another bad take. Edmonton won't have to retain on Barrie or add a pick to move him. He is making a fair salary for what he brings. I don't think Chicago is the best option for him though as they have Jones to play where they would need Barrie to play. That doesn't mean that there aren't teams out there that need a puck moving RD. I swear, everyone always talks about the premium placed on RD due to scarcity, until Barrie's name comes into play. All because he didn't work out in Toronto.

As per teams that could use him, there are a number of them. Many with bad powerplays.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Why is it that so many trades has Barrie going back in the trade to be followed up by oiler fans saying he is not a cap dump? No one wants to pay the guy that kind of money for what he offers.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Barrie isn't a cap dump in the actual NHL, no matter what the HF narrative is.

He might not be a cap dump but he isn't a player a rebuilding team desires nor is he is the type of defensemen that contending teams are usually looking to add at the deadline. And improving the powerplay does not have a high priority for the Blackhawks. If they trade Murphy it will be for futures not for a player like Barrie.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
there's a limit to the number of times you can put conditions on a pick . like 1

my bad . just noticed it's 2023

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Edmonton fans adamantly stomp their feet and say Barrie has value (even to the point of insulting those that disagree with them) yet they try to sneak him into EVERY trade proposal hoping someone bites :laugh:

if he’s so valuable and worth his cap hit, keep him

He might even have value, just don't throw him in trade proposals with teams that just generally wouldn't be interested in a 30 year old D-man.

Reactions: T_Cage

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oh lord, another bad take. Edmonton won't have to retain on Barrie or add a pick to move him. He is making a fair salary for what he brings. I don't think Chicago is the best option for him though as they have Jones to play where they would need Barrie to play. That doesn't mean that there aren't teams out there that need a puck moving RD. I swear, everyone always talks about the premium placed on RD due to scarcity, until Barrie's name comes into play. All because he didn't work out in Toronto.

As per teams that could use him, there are a number of them. Many with bad powerplays.
Barrie’s defense will always make him hard to trade. His underlying metics really hurt. Unless at team wants a PP 1 QB, I don’t see a market for him where Edmonton can expect a pick or good player coming back.

Chicago has Seth Jones for PP1. They don’t need Barrie for what he’s best at. The power play.

you oil fans can scream from the roof tops Barrie has value, but a lot of us disagree. I think there is a finite and small number of teams that would want him.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad